Reading in May 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Currently reading, Deadfall Hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem. Entertaining so far, with a slight Bradbury/Gaiman feel to it, mainly through content and approach since Tem's prose style differs from either.

Randy M.

2. Johnny B

Johnny B Registered User

That was a pretty good book. I'm currently reading the second in that series, Broken Angels. While it's ok, I'm not enjoying it as much as the first and it's been slow going.

I just bought Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin and will be starting that shortly, followed by (I think) White Night by Jim Butcher.

3. murf99

murf99 Registered User

Just started The Steel Remains by Morgan. Really enjoying it. So far it seems like the this could be a book/series that blows me away, a la Abercrombie, Martin, Bakker.

4. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

It's one of my personal favorites. :)

5. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I finished When We Were Executioners by J.M. McDermott. It's an odd book, even more so than the first one, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely looking forward to the last in the trilogy.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm thinking of maybe starting my WoT re-read, so that I'll be finished with it by the time the last one is published.

6. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

After a lot of non-fantasy and a few rereads like the duology Metropolitan/City on Fire by WJ Williams (re-released as ebooks by the author recently while I am at my 5th read of each ), finally I acquired a fantasy that should break my 2012 ok-to-meh experience in the genre as current books go, namely King's Blood by Daniel Abraham; it starts very well and I like the prose but let's see if I find it interesting enough...

I also started From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjon which may have some fantasy-nal content from what I heard; this one is superbly written so far but it is literary fiction not genre

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  7. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

That's an excellent book. He was only 31ish when he wrote it too. He's said he would like to write a sequel some day.

Started Guy Gavriel Kay's The Last Light of the Sun. I adore Kay. Very excited.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  8. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

I finished The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham and in short it was an excellent traditional fantasy and the first such in 2012 that satisfied my expectations, though it still has some of what I started perceiving as the genre negatives after feeling i sort of exhausted it these past 4 years of FBC reviewing.

I posted a long generally spoiler free raw-thoughts review on Goodreads (two sort of spoiler paragraphs hidden there) and I will c/p it in the series thread here on sffworld

9. ST2012

ST2012 Registered User

I seem to be in between books at the moment waiting for China Mieville's Railsea to release in a coupe weeks. I've been filling the space with old graphic novels I haven't read in forever. Read a few Watchmen comics tonight.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Finished. Very much in two minds about it. I didn't quite love it, but I didn't dislike it.

11. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

Somehow I got a wild hare to read all the Vlad Taltos books, so that's what I'm doing. I'm trying to go in chronological order, and so far I've read Taltos, Dragon, Yendi, Jhereg, Teckla, and Phoenix. I just started Athyra.

I'm having a blast with these. Too much fun. :)

12. Heather Myst

Heather Myst Chocolate.....Count Me In

Last week I finished the omnibus The Legend of Eli Monpress which contains the first three books of the series. The first book really didn't hook me and if I had purchased just book one and not the omnibus I would of dropped the series after book one. I felt like the last two books were better than the opening book but I doubt whether I will continue with this series. I would rate it three out of five. Not bad but the characters just didn't stay with me.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I went for a rare horror book last night. I decided to finally start reading Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola & Christopher Golden. As I've read the first graphic novel (released after), I know a chunk of Lord Baltimore's history, but I've no problem with retreading it in illustrated novel form.

14. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Finished The Warded Man and enjoyed it far more than expected, with the exception of the truly odd actions of the character Leesha that have already been remarked upon at length. It was rather jarring turn of events and interrupted my fascination with the book's setting and overall story.

I've moved onto The Desert Spear and am somewhat concerned that it is going to be mainly involved with what I thought were peripheral and largely uninteresting characters from the first book.

15. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

I'm starting on Kevin Heane's Iron Druid Series - Hounded. Receive all 4 compliments of Del Ray for providing a quote for a different author.

16. sullivan_riyria

I really have to get around to this series some day.

17. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Finished Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik - a definite improvement after the dissapointing Tongues of Serpents, but I still feel the series spends too much time on sidequests as an excuse to travel around the world. The Inca part of this book was quite good, mixing politics, battles and social commentary.

Does anyone know how many books are planned in the Temeraire saga?

18. Redpred

Redpred Registered User

Finally starting reading Joe Abercrombie this month, I've kinda been in an epic fantasy rut since my Re-Read of A Song of Iced and Fire for the release of a Dance with Dragons last year, I've been reading bits and pieces, stand alone books and some other stuff but this is my first dive back into a more epic series and I'm really enjoying it so far, about half way through the first book and I'm pretty much hooked on the stories and the characters. Really like his almost tongue in cheek writing style, the humor is the books is a big attraction for me as I am a big Terry Pratchett fan so having this kind of a dark humor in a more epic story-line is pretty ideal for me. I'm planning on reading all 5 of his books in the next month or two (depending how much time I have for reading) so hopefully they keep getting better :)

19. DJ94122

DJ94122 What can I say?

I haven't posted in months, so it's not really "Reading in May," it's "What's been read since August." Here are the fantasy selections:

First, read Catherynne Valente's The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden. Beautifully written, but while the concept and execution of the tales-within-tales format was very well done, I had trouble staying engaged with the story. I had to take a break before reading the second half of the duology.

Next up: Pamela Freeman and her Castings Trilogy omnibus. I liked the writing style and the world she created; the story was immersing and kept me interested. Unfortunately, I didn't really connect with some of the main characters didn't love the ending.

Finally, and most recently, I stumbled across Michael Hicks In Her Name: Redemption trilogy omnibus for free on Kindle. It's a combination of science fiction and fantasy about a brutal interstellar war between an ancient alien civilization and humanity in the distant future, and a man who becomes part of both cultures. In an odd sort of dichotomy, I felt as the writing improved through the trilogy, the quality of the story declined. There was also an undercurrent of sadness throughout the second and third books that was not redeemed by the ending. War is hell, life isn't fair, and people can be mean - I get it - but I can read the news and look around me to figure that out. Still, overall, I must say I enjoyed it more often than I did not. I was debating with myself how to score it: I decided three out of five stars was a bit low; seven out of ten seemed too high; thirteen out of twenty was just right.

20. sullivan_riyria

Having started there, I'm glad to see others branching out to some of these authors who are making a name for themselves. The hottest ticket in indie these days is Hugh Howey's Wool Series - they are shorter sci-fii works (novellas) but when combined make a pretty decent sized "novel" (or two) He has hundreds of 5 star rankings and is selling more than 100,000 copies - definitely worth at least looking into with the first one which sells for just $0.99.