Reading in May 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Hobbit, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

This is where you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Our Fantasy Book of the Month is Shadow's Son by Jon Sprunk. Discuss here.

Similarly, Our SF Book of the Month is Helliconia Spring by Brian Aldiss. Discuss here.

Mark

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Starting up Jack Campbell's new Lost Fleet novel today Beyond the Frontier Invincible

3. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

Still making my way through The Devil's Nebula by Eric Brown and it's certainly meeting expectations to date. Almost half way through now, but I'm struggling to find any time to read at the moment. Still, it's one I'll be trying to finish as quickly a possible.

My copy of Invincible shipped yesterday so I should have it by the end of the month, though I'm sorely tempted to just by the audio book anyway. I've listened to all the Lost Fleet books in that format so it would simply be rude not to continue that tradition...

4. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

I just finished POD by Stefan Wallenfels. Pretty stanard YA post-apocalypse style alien invasion novel. Good read though.

My next SF Ken MacLeod's NIGHT SESSIONS I hope. I keep starting it and getting distracted.

5. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

I'm about to start Paolo Bacigalupi's latest, The Drowned Cities, which came out today.

6. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

After a few rereads - most notably Brain Child by George Turner which is a top novel of mine on my all time favorites list and this was my 8th or more end to end read of it - I started an indie space opera that is rollicking fun and is decently written as style goes, namely Convergent Space by John-Paul Cleary.

Quite entertaining about 100 pages in, I will probably first read some fantasy I recently acquired in the meantime (Daniel Abraham and Sjon) but i expect to finish this too in the next few days

7. DragonReader

DragonReader Registered User

Currently read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

8. Jussslic

Jussslic Registered User

Hey all, new here!

I've been spending way too much time in Westeros lately (just finally read the first three), so I wanted to come back to SF for awhile.

Anyway, I decided to pick up Downbelow Station a couple days ago. Never read any Cherryh before, but I've been wanting to read this for awhile. For some reason the title has always grabbed me, but the expansiveness of the Alliance-Union back-catalog has scared me off.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  9. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I think this one will make it into my all time favorites, regardless of genre. It's a set of six embedded stories, like Matrioshka dolls, each one enclosing the previous one and sharing the central theme: a map of our beliefs/aspirations seen as clouds chasing each other across the sky. The author also uses the analogy between the six main characters and a classical sextet, where each instrument has a particular voice, but they follow the main musical teme.

I mention this book in the science-fiction topic because two of the six stories are set in the future: one of them would appeal to fans of Paolo Bacigalupi's Wind-Up Girl with a vision of a dystopian society ruled by mega corporations, where crops have become toxic due to rogue genes and human clones are custom grown in vats as indentured servants. The other is a post-apocalyptic piece set in Hawaii.

The remaining 4 stories are not genre (a clipper voyage through Pacific islands in 1830, a character study of a musician in Belgium around 1930, an eco-thriller set in California in 1970 and a contemporary psycho thriller with echoes of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) but that should not stop you from giving this a try.

10. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

It's a good start. Downbelow Station is the best Cherryh I've read...so far. The only other Alliance-Union book I've read so far was Rimrunnerswhich I liked. I've got Merchanter's Luck on my to-be-read pile and will continue as long as the stories hold my interest.

11. Jussslic

Jussslic Registered User

Yeah I'm enjoying it so far. I kinda laughed to myself when I realized that I'd gone from a fantasy series about war, politics, ambition, and moral ambiguity to a SF series about war, politics, ambition, and moral ambiguity.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. DragonReader

DragonReader Registered User

Now reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Clark

13. Triceratops

Triceratops Browser

Just picked up a dog-eared copy of Neil Ashers' The Skinner. I'm about 40 pages in and a little confused with the aliens and culture. I'll forge on and hope for the best.

chris

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I started Sweet Justice last night, which is a collection of 2000AD short stories by authors such as Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, Neil Gaiman and Alan Grant.

Got about halfway in to it, and I'm enjoying it. Some pretty fun moments, but my favourites have to be the Judge Anderson ones. For now.

15. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins in less than a day, in anticipation of checking out the movie version. I liked it, it has a certain blockbuster quality with split second action cuts and loudly declaimed emotions. Not my favorite dystopian book, but for somebody who is just starting to get interested in the genre, I think it is a very good entry point.

16. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Finished this one today at lunch, big time game changer for the series. Very enjoyable, lots of good stuff between the covers.

Next up Blackout by Mira Grant, the concluding volume of The Newsflesh Trilogy

17. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Starting Iain M Banks' Use of Weapons today. Having heard many people say it's their favorite Banks novel I have high expectations.

18. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

Finished Paolo Bacigalupi's latest, The Drowned Cities. It was pretty good, but I didn't like it as much as his previous works, which I practically absorbed. Someday I hope he goes back to adult fiction.

Just started The Highest Frontier by Joan Slonczewski.

19. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Monthâ„¢

It's pretty good but my favourite was Look to Windward.

Recently I had to give up halfway his latest, Surface Detail, as it was just too formulaic and I couldn't get a handle on the scenario involving the hells. It all just seemed like some sort of vague fantasy horrorland and the characters were uniformly vile. It's a violent book throughout without much justification for the continual graphic scenes of torture and killing beyond entertainment and I wasn't in the mood for it :(

Moved onto By Light Alone by Adam Roberts. He's a classy writer and I'm enjoying this one, although again the characters so far are uniformly outrageously awful people!

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I should have stopped once I got to the Mark Millar story. The quality went down after that.

Still, not bad for about £2.50.