Reading in November 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Bleedin' 'eck, you've changed your pic.

Well, I think I can state with some confidence that I'm taking three reads into November:
    Dracula by Bram Stoker
    A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
    & tonight I'm starting the third, Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism by Mike Mignola & Christopher Golden.

3. Rulkez

Rulkez Registered User

Well at 30 and after reading 100's of Fantasy books , today I started Lord of the Rings for the first time.

4. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Whaaaaaaaa! *open mouth with tongue sticking out*

Finished Wurts' To Ride Hell's Chasm. It's a stand-alone fantasy (about as unusual as the above) and really well done. It's slow moving as is Wurts' style, but you get so close to the characters through all the descriptions of their emotions and banterings. I always thought the "To Ride" part was a bit much, why not just "Hell's Chasm," but after having finished, I can say that it definitely belongs.

Started Courtney Schafer's The Tainted City, sequel to the excellent The Whitefire Crossing.

5. algernoninc

algernoninc It never entered my mind

I finished Sharps by K J Parker. Loved it: it includes most of the favorite themes of the author regarding technology, weapons and armour and her trademark shockers in terms of moraly repugnant actions from main characters and some wholesale slaughter. What novel brings new to her style is more focus on group dynamics instead of solitary twisted heroes, presenting an improvised national fencing team of five people forced into close proximity and having to deal with life threatening crisis almost on a daily basis. I also noticed a tighter plot and a more upbeat ending for an author who usually closes the stories with a note about the futility of the struggle. So, I would consider Sharps a good entry point for new readers curious about the author and willing to give it a try.

I have a lot of 2012 books I would like to read before the end of the year, and can't decide which one is next: The Tainted City, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Throne of the Crescent Moon, Blood Song, The Twelve (Cronin), Red Knight, Some Kind of Fairy Tale, Sacre Bleu. I'm afraid some will slip into 2013. For the moment I'm relaxing with some P G Wodehouse.

6. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Still on Red Country and still enjoying it.

7. cgw

cgw Registered User

Read Magebane by Lee Arthur Chane. It was good in all aspects excpet the writing was weak. Each major character when indroduced when through a 2-3 page thought process where you get their back story which seemed clumsy. Otherwise it was a nice light fantasystandalone. I searched Magebane and found no mention of the book in this forum.

8. Rob B

I have a copy of it but never read it. Lee Arthur Chane is pen name for SF writer Edward Willett.

9. Hobbit

Still on Miles Cameron's Red Knight: loving it.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Took... not long at all. And worth every moment. Amazing little novella (well, not little, it's like ~150 pages long, maybe ~75-100 in "normal" print/formatting).

11. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I was going OK on M John Harrison's Viriconium - the first story (The Pastel City) held my interest with the skillful painting of an oppressed world and the characters within, but by the second story the writing became much more oblique and unfocussed, and I found it hard to follow the story. A bit similar to some of China Mieville's more baroque offerings.

Anyway, I've put it down for now to continue in the near future - from what I've read the stories towards the end are the better ones...

12. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

Still reading The Wise Man's Fear, almost done with it. Pretty good overall, some parts I definitely think were unnecessary but I like it as a whole.

13. Rob B

Exactly what happened to me. That combined with how Harrison tells readers why they should and shouldn't read fantasy have put me off of his writing for the near and long future.

14. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

Finished Wise Man's Fear, kind of an anti-climatic ending. Oh well, moving on to New Spring because A) I've never read it and B) have a huge craving to read a WoT book since I can't wait for AMoL.

15. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

I'm curently reading Zoo City by Lauren Buekes. I like it at least OK. It's certainly got a nice originaly, fresh feel to it. I think my overall enjoyment will hinge on how ends though. I need to write up a review for Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht - it was excellent. Maybe the best book I've read this year, and I've read a lot of good books this year.

I'm not sure what will be next. Red Country is very tempting, but then everyone is reading/reviewing it these days, so I may wait a while on it. I'm fairly tempted to read City of Dark Magic by Magnus Flyte or maybe Stray Souls by Kate Griffin - I'm hesitant on the later because I haven't yet read all of the Matthew Swift books by Griffin and I don't know if Stray Souls has any big spoilers in it or not - it's supposed to not be a sequel, but it's set in the same 'world' and Matthew Swift at least has a cameo role.

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Sir Terry Pratchett's A Blink of the Screen, which is a collection of his shorter works. A fair section at the back is devoted to Discworld, so I'll post it here in Fantasy.

So far? Really good. Some brilliant stories in this collection, and it's clear from the start he has some level of talent. What's also really good, I feel, is each story is introduced by Sir Terry, and he often gives a brief explanation of the inspiration or the history behind it.

17. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

I just finished Clash of Kings by George RR Martin and I'm so hooked! It's weird because I don't normally like fantasy but so far this series is great! On to Storm of Swords!

Also just started watching the HBO adaptation. Not as good as the book but not disappointing yet either.

18. Slice of G

Slice of G Registered User

Just finished The Third Section by Jasper Kent, the third book in the Danilov Quintet. I love this series! It's not flashy, action-packed or over-the-top. What makes it so good is it's realism. I can almost believe that this could have taken place at this time period in Russia. Also includes one of my favorite characters, Iuda/Cain/Yudin. So evil! Waiting for Book 4.

19. Hobbit

Pleased you're enjoying this series, Slice of G. Jasper does spend a lot of time working on the historical details of these, I know: he'd be pleased with what you've said.

Myself, currently juggling Red Knight by Miles Cameron (really good - mentioned elsewhere!) and Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (he of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.) A version of the Nativity that's rather more gritty Fantasy than usual.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Finished it last night. Really good collection with only a couple of duds.

So now it's (back to) Mazarkis Williams' The Emperor's Knife