Reading in November 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

What happened to John Gwynne's Malice? Lost interest? I'm still searching for advance reviews on this one.

2. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

I finished two books - Emperor's Soul by Brandon sanderson was a quick read at a BN - ok and with some interesting stuff but not worth the 15$ cover price in any shape or form unless you are a true fan

Where Tigers Are at Home by JM Blas de Robles - this is a book that deserves all the accolades and prizes it got as it will be hard to find a better book next year when it is published in the US; on the other hand it is not really sff, though its collection of oddities and strangeness are more sffnal than many genre books, while its structure will not appeal to completist fans who want every t crossed and i dotted; hypnotic, mesmerizing and a masterpiece of world literature

3. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

So I attempted A Discovery of Witches, but not only did it remind me of The Historian way too much (which I couldn't stand), I just couldn't go on after the witches, vampires, demons, etc. all go to yoga together.

4. chokipokilo

chokipokilo Unreasonable reasoner

Just finished "Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan. Very good, among the best fantasy I've read. Reminded me a lot of Rothfuss and Hobb's work.

Tonight it seems appropriate to take a quick break from fantasy to read Buckley's "The White House Mess." After that probably "Shadow" by KJ Parker or possibly "The God King" by James West. Don't really know anything about it, but it was free for kindle so I figured what the hell.

5. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I finished up Throne of the Crescent Moon the other day. Must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and would very much like to read more stories from this setting. It's very much my sort of fantasy, and seeing as it's the only one I managed to get into my reading this year, I'm pleased I liked it so much.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It's a bit... dry? Sterile? Lifeless? I'm sort of enjoying it slightly and I want to see how it ends up, but... *Shrug*

7. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

That sums up my reaction fairly well. Some interesting ingredients, but the whole of it didn't quite work together for me so well.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Yeah. There's definitely some great ideas, but I find things are happening and I don't understand why. It's like I keep missing things or blanking over them.

It really doesn't help that every character seems to talk the same and their personalities seem... strange? I honestly feel like I've jumped into the middle of a series. That's what this book is like.

9. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Thanks Loerwyn, I felt the same way - middle of series, characters not too distinct. I thought it was just me because I saw some fairly decent praise for the book upon publication earlier this year/late last year.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I think it's one of those books with good potential but doesn't really realise it.

11. suciul

Unexpectedly i got a review copy of Malice by John Gwynne and I was quite excited and oh, what a let down as the book reads so juvenile and without any sophistication, but straight-out from the manual of how to write an epic fantasy for the pg 13 reader crowd. The beginning with a bargain with the evil, sealed by blood obtained by cutting the throat of a prisoner and ended by the villain asking timidly "what do you want for your help" and the big booboo answering ominously "I want you" was ominous indeed but at least i still had some hopes; only to be dashed in the next few pages which are pure juvenile writing; I then skimmed the book just in case and came upon pearls like:

"I am a warrior Hal, not a nursemaid"

yuck... A drop and never to hear of this series again

12. Quimby

Quimby yep

Finally got around to finishing a Dance with Dragons. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Like most people I love the first three books but the last two have dragged. I had an especially hard time with the Daenerys chapters in this book since they are the worst offender of nothing ever happening. Also the shocker at the end better not have happened the way it appeared to, or I may be done with this series. I guess I will find out in a few years.

Reading Cronin's the twelve now.

13. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Started listening to the second book in Tales of the Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld. Cugel the clever is such a great character and such a luscious backdrop. I guess there's a reason these have influenced so many writers.

14. gljones

gljones Registered User

Game of thrones has been beckoning on my bookshelf for a while
    Any thoughts on before I dive in?

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Not really. I definitely recommend you try it, but be warned that the series is pretty dry and can be hard going at times. Oh, and don't worry about not understanding who everyone is.

16. gljones

gljones Registered User

Yeah, that's the same thing my brother said. It was sort of a soap opera and he got lost in it. That's why it's still sitting on my shelf

17. suciul

Finished Stephen Deas 3rd and last Thief taker's apprentice, King's Assassin; very good, the best of the series and as good as anything the author has written; the characters from here will continue in the regular dragon series from now on:

"The King's Assassin is the end of the original Thief-Taker's Apprentice series though of course characters from here will continue to appear in the next volume of the main series. The novel starts two years from the dramatic end of the last book when Berren escapes from his indenture as a "skag" on a ship in Skalda, a city on the other side of stormy oceans from his Deephaven home, because he sees his former master Syannis - presumed dead or imprisoned - on another ship in that port.

Later Berren joins a mercenary force, gets involved with the efforts of Syannis and his brother Talon to retake their homeland Tethis, where their mentally challenged younger but legitimate step-brother Aimes "rules" as puppet of usurper Meridian, meets the warlock Kuy again and much more...

Becoming known as "The Bloody Judge" with nine fingers off all things too, Berren is now very far in capabilities from the scared youth of the first two volumes, though inside he is as conflicted as ever. The King's Assassin contains so much stuff that I really do not want to spoil it, but it moves very well and you cannot stop turning the pages.

There are some little logic miscues here and there - as Berren (and others) really should realize some stuff rather than act sullen for a while and later surprised at the bloody finale and the last third of the book covers a lot of time and events in a very condensed "one battle is as another" way, but the book works well and has narrative power with an ending that wraps things up while opening new avenues for the future.

Also there are many tidbits scattered around about the author's world that add to its depth and promise a lot for further volumes and the geography of the author's universe expands considerably.

In some ways, The King's Assassin is so different from the first two to seem as being from another series, a much darker, bloodier and more adult one; and in the author's noted style, the novel has almost no get out of jail cards, characters die and no one is safe..."

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Interesting, suciul. Would you recommend reading the adult series to book four, then the YA trilogy, then whatever comes next?

19. suciul

I have not read yet book 4 from the Dragon series (The Black mausoleum) though I plan to do so by year's end; i definitely recommend the Berren series as it has no connection so far with the dragon one and it is more engaging at least for me - I loved The Adamantine palace but the next 2 books in the dragon series worked less well - still enjoyed them but not as much while I really enjoyed all 3 Berren books a lot; one reason is that in the dragon series there is no clear main lead (except the dragons if you want...) after a while while this series stays focused on Berren and the people around him, most notably Syannis his "master" and Kuy the warlock

Also the dragon books 1-4 take place in a remote and isolated part of the world where the dragons live, while the Berren books take place in a much larger area - the one connection are mysterious trader/slavers that appear in both series and who are the only one that know the way on the dangerous oceans of the world, so link these separate areas...

20. thrinidir

thrinidir dw4rf

Get ready for for a ****ing rollercoaster of a ride my friend. That's the book that made me delve deeper into fantasy in the first place. High expectations usually ruin the experience of many a good book, but I hope with this one (and especially book 2 and 3) expectations can only be met or exceeded <3