Reading in November 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Hobbit, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

This is where you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

2. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

I found out about this new (space opera a la PFH) trilogy - The Sigil - by Henry Gee, nature editor and blurbed by quite a few well known sff and pop-science writers and bought the ebook omnibus and I plan to start either this or continue the associational Where the Tigers are at home by JM Blas de Robles. I opened a thread about the Sigil trilogy HERE

3. livens

livens Registered User

Halfway through Godlike Machines, a fantastic collection of short stories by Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter, Cory Doctorow, Sean Williams, Robert Reed and Greg Egan.

I bought it just to get Reynolds' Troika in print. But Ive loved all the rest just as much so far. There is an especially fun one by Doctorow, I had never even heard of him, that for me reads alot like the old movie A Boy and His Dog. Great movie and this story feels like a slightly higher tech version of it.

4. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Well, October is over, and I had intended to jump away from space and back into fantasy for November, but something went wrong. Last night I started Peter F Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction. I'm not certain how it happened. When perusing my TBR my intention was to simply select a shortish fantasy novel to get my fantasy blood pumping with the eventual goal of starting Malazan Book of the Fallen. Instead I somehow started reading a 1200 page space opera. Dear me.

5. starman03

starman03 Registered User

Well I'm still finishing off Michael Moorcock's Elric as my print book, but I'm about to start The Mammoth Book of Nebula Awards SF on my kindle, so hopefully there will be some good short stuff in there.

6. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Next up for me on the SF side of things is Blades of Winter G.T. Almasi's debut novel. It's a blend of spy thriller, cyberpunk (or so the author claims) and alternate history. Only a few pages into it but the story has potential.

7. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I'm really not too sure what I want to read next. I've made some progress on both Shadow of Saganami and At All Costs by David Weber, but no more than a handful of chapters, and I'm not sure if I'm really in the mood for two pretty big novels. I've got Fire Season (Weber and Lindskold), Helix Wars (Brown), Zero Point (Asher), Thousand Emperors (Gibson)... the list goes on, but I really haven't a clue what I fancy reading.

8. Hobbit

Deep into Fantasy territory at the moment... but a copy of David Wingrove's Ice & Fire, Book IV of the Chung Kuo series, arrived today so that will probably be next.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  9. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I finished Adam Roberts Salt and enjoyed it as well (as most other Roberts books). In this novel colonists are sent to populate a far-away planet ("Salt") and end up divided into two groups - those that follow are more anarchist way of living and those through a rigid hierarchy and government. Their struggle is made worse in that the world is primarily covered in salt and the air unbreathable chlorine.

Roberts tells the story from the viewpoint of one character from each group, and it's interesting reading the story from these two points of view - dealing with the ensuing war and the difficulties of settling on the planet. Another great read from this author.

10. livens

livens Registered User

Sounds like something I would like, just ordered Salt from amazon for 63¢

Im currently on a Iain M Banks binge. Ive read a couple of his later Culture novels and loved them. So I decided to start at the beginning to see how this universe evolved over time. Just a little into Consider Phlebas and its got me hooked. I was worried because Ive read its not the best Culture book, and its got some pretty bad reviews on different sites. Im keeping an open mind.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. Hobbit

There are better, livens. But it is where we first met the Culture, so it's worth a try....

12. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I decided to go a book I didn't list above: New York Nights by Eric Brown. It's one of the few of his I've not read, and it's been on my reading stack for way too long. The start is interesting, and a little different to what I expected, so I'll be interested to see where it goes. It's also the first book of a trilogy, and with the others at home too I may go through all three if it hits the spot for me.

13. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

I finished the first book from The Sigil Trilogy omnibus by Henry gee mentioned awhile ago; a bit pulpy, a bit wish fulfillment but with narrative power and making one turn the pages; there are two main threads, one some 55 million years ago on a very different Earth that's center of a galactic civilization and in the near future 2121-2140's and the discovery that our ideas about Earth's past are wrong

14. Rob B

Next up for me is The Creative Fire by Brenda Cooper. Generational starship, far future SF sounds pretty interesting.

15. Andols

Andols I like stories

im hurting for a sf epic. almost done with The Twelve, then i need something in SF for awhile. been fantasy non stop for like 4 months.

help me bros. im thinking of trying those chung kuo releases. i really want something new with space combat though. have to check whts come out recently.

16. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

Yes... i need a new space opera EPIC myself... help!

17. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I finished New York Nights by Eric Brown yesterday. Really enjoyed it after not being quite sure at the start, and looking forward to seeing what happens in the next two books. I have a feeling that the Virex books are not so much a trilogy, but more three books with the same central characters and overall theme.

Re: epic space opera as mentioned above. If you've not read them, I'd recommend Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn/Commonwealth books, or Neal Asher's Cormc series - both authors I love to read with some pretty epic stuff going on :)

18. Rob B

This book is...just...not...working for me. Need to put it aside. Hate when that happens.

19. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I'm now reading Neal Asher's Zero Point, the second Owner novel. After struggling to adjust to the setting in the first, The Departure, I finally enjoyed it quite a bit. Zero Point picks up where the last left off, and it's a good start with lots going on. I'm hopeful that this will bring the series up to the level I expected from The Departure, and from what I've read so far I can't see it leaving me wanting.

20. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Monthâ„¢

Re-reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin, for the third time.
    Almost certainly my favourite SF book of all.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012