Reading in October 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I think it's "YA Crossover", in that it's been marketed both as adult and YA.

2. Slice of G

Slice of G Registered User

Just finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. While not a book that I would normally read (sticking mostly to science fiction and fantasy) I did enjoy the bits about the comic book industry. Set mostly around the time of WWII, it showed a different perspective of how the war affected people. I'm still not sure if I like his writing style. It took a little getting used to. He must have broken a few comma keys on his computer typing the novel.

I guess I'll try another book I wouldn't normally read in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

3. purpleturtle

purpleturtle New Member

Merfiction - Free Ebook

Merminia is a fairly new fantasy book that I just finished. I love that it had a little darkness to it! Magic, mermaids, mermen, and a few battles.

I bought a paperback copy, but right now through an Amazon promo Merminia is a free download for the Kindle Version. I don't know how long it will last, but free is the cheapest form of entertainment.

4. Ochos

Ochos Hell!

"The book of Deacon" by Joseph lallo. found this among the free books on Kindle, its got me addicted. i will be buying the next 2 books in the trilogy on the back of it. theres a lot of dross in the free books, but there are some hidden gems, especially as you can get kind of stuck reading the same authors in long series.
    ;)

5. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

As I hinted in our Hallowe'en thread, I've started The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan. So far, a bit of a challenge with the narrative shifts, but it stays in my mind.

6. Zsinj

Zsinj Registered User

I recently read Anne Rice's "Interview With the Vampire," actually I practically devoured it, it was so excellent... that is until I got to the end which really disappointed me. <spoiler> I guess it's because Louis got to the point where he didn't stand up for or care about anything anymore. And seeing a creature seemingly so naturally passionate as a vampire become like that kind of pissed me off and made for a poor ending to the book </spoiler>
    I'm now reading the second book in Rice's "Vampire Chroincles," "The Vampire Lestat," and I must say, being a heavy metal/hard rock singer myself, I'm quite intrigued by the idea of a vampire being the frontman and keyboardist in a hard rock band. I just hope this book doesn't let me down like the last one did.

7. Astra_

Astra_ Sony Reader PRS-650

Ditto :)
    I finished it a month or so ago. It was a confusing one.

I finished The Affirmation by Christopher Priest.
    Omg.
    What a weird book. I am not sure I am going to read any Priest's books in the near future.
    I guess it is a good puzzle book for a doctor psychiatrist.
    I guess no more experimenting with the writer in the foreseeable future.

Back to the Malazan World.
    Return of the Crimson Guard (Malazan Empire #2) Ian C. Esslemont
    I didn't really like Night of Knives (Malazan Empire #1). Let's see how this one goes.

8. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Time and Again by Jack Finney - beautifully written book that (can) evoke a huge sense of nostalgia for living in New York in the 1880's (the protagonist travels back in time to this period).

It's almost just a vehicle for the author's account of what it would be like to live in this time; it's obviously well researched with photos throughout the book to help the visuals of the story.

For me the positives were the writing, the detailed description of the place and time, and the characters who live there. The cons - after I while there was too much New York 1882 and I felt it dragged a bit. Worth a read but could have been made a bit more...exciting.

On the opposite end of the scale, I've started on Will Elliott's horror/comedy The Pilo Family Circus and am hooked after the first chapter.

Ha ha! They're some of things I like about Priests books - the weirdness, ambiguity and subtleness. Admittedly it wouldn't be every one's cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  9. cgw

cgw Registered User

Both very good.

I took a break from working my way through histories of countries on the Warsaw Pact to read Among Others by Jo Walton. My fantasy to-read list is not very long right now. I read every thing I had during the summer. I need to find some good escapism books to read (the 20th century in eastern europe is pretty depressing).

10. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Started Blade of Tyshalle and already a third of the way in. Really liking that a lot of the world(s) is(are) getting fleshed out in this one.

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Really struggling with reading at the moment - can't seem to get into anything.

So I (re)started Sir Pratchett's The Truth (another Discworld novel) last night, and I seem to be doing okay with it.

12. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

Still only halfway through Best Served Cold, but damn it's good. I think Abercrombie has cracked my top 5 fantasy authors.

13. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

Finished Name of the Wind finally. Definitely a great book and I'm a huge fan of Rothfuss' writing style. For some reason though I'm not too keen on Denna and her relation to the story so far but we shall see how I feel in the next book. Can't decide if I should read The Wise Man's Fear or go back to Sanderson's writing with reading Elantris.

14. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

The Pilo Family Circus - for those wanting an original horror/fantasy with a good dose of (black) comedy thrown in, I'd strongly recommend it.

After reading the very good Nightfall a few weeks ago I looked into the author a bit more and started on his debut novel a couple of days ago. In The Pilo Family Circus, Will Ellliott has created a memorable list of characters that are both funny, scary and down-right strange at the same time.

The protagonist Jamie is unwittingly brought into the world of the Circus, and from there is seconded to a group of clowns to replace the previous "apprentice". Jamie becomes "JJ" the clown and ends up in a battle to beat himself and escape the circus (the inner battle between Jamie and JJ no doubt reflective of the author's known schizophrenia).

This is one of the better books I've read in years.

15. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

I enjoy Rothfuss' writing style, though not as much as others. I have to agree though, the segments with Denna are awkward at best IMO (either the character herself or Kvothe's described feelings/emotions/actions in relation to their relationship). I much prefer the segments that do not directly involve her or their relationship.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  16. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

I feel like it is her character thats the problem because the interactions between Kvothe and Fela felt more natural to me, despite them not having as much. And I also agree that the segments without her were much more enjoyable.

17. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Apparently, I was barely up to the challenge. I didn't connect with this one as much as her earlier novel The Red Tree. I appreciate what Kiernan was attempting and it might even be fair to say that she succeeded but it just didn't work for me completely.

Change of pace to Erikson's The Forge of Darkness.

18. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

Recently I've gotten reviews posted for Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch and Dancing With Bears by Michael Swanwick. I still owe reviews for Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff and Trapped by Kevin Hearne. I've also read but probably won't review Two Ravens and One Crow a novella by Kevin Hearne and the prologue to A Memory of Light by Jordan and Sandeson - By Grace and Banners Fallen (in spite of my anger at having to pay for a prologue they should be giving away for free). I just started Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leict, which is looking to every bit as good as I thought it would be.

19. Kid Chimera

Kid Chimera New Member

Horsemen Chronicles is worth the ride

Took a chance on a recommendation (and the cover art was defintely worth the download) and started reading Horsemen Chronicles-Host of the Armageddon on Wednesday and finished it Sunday (took 5 days)!

It's been a long time since I picked up a book and didn't want to put it down. Heck, why couldn't Pestilence be lurking around as a wacked MD - definitely a page turner.

Love stories that pull you in and don't let you out until your done.

20. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

Glad you enjoyed Pilo Family Circus. Looks like we both enjoyed it for the exact same reasons.

I am still plugging away at Cloud Atlas, should have it done in by the end of the day or tomorrow at the latest. I am enjoying it, but the middle story was a pain to read. I do like the use of different styles/mediums to tell each person's prospective. Unless the ending is completely insane I should rate this book rather high as it has been a pleasurable read.