Reading in October 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Hobbit, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

This is where you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

(Off to read Iain M. Banks' Hydrogen Sonata myself.....)

Mark

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Read a little more into Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard. I think this will be a fun read.

3. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

Been reading more of it too. Definitely one that makes you want to read just anther chapter, and a very interesting world too.

I've also started reading War of Honor as it's been a while since I read Ashes of Victory. I think I'll just focus on the main series for now and then go back to the other side-series once I'm caught up.

4. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Grrr. Mine should have arrived on Saturday. Sometime today then. Until it arrives I'll be finishing a Miles Vorkosigan novella, Labyrinth.

5. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

While a few novels of various kinds vie for attention on my reading list, I think I will either get seriously into Fractal prince or read an independent series debut with massive Weberian overtones (from names, to wormholes, though DW is subtler as here some of the apparent villains are a bit too caricature-ish Middle Eastern like, though of course there is the People's Republic aka Dominion of Unified citizenry here and its Citizen Secretary etc etc and the good guys are called Victoria and are led by Queen Beatrice), Alarm of war by Kennedy Hudner

Alarm of war moves briskly in the 50 or so pages I read while fractal Prince is still very cluttered as style goes (though it seems a bit more flowing than Quantum Thief), so we'll see

6. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

I finished Catching Fire and Mockinjay by Suzanne Collins, a combination of fast, easy reading and extremely violent, dark subject - a good choice for holiday, but I don't think I will be interested in a re-read. The Hunger Games remains the best of the series.

I'm not sure what I will pick up next, probably some classic SF I've missed.

7. Hobbit

Sorry, Dang.

So far, so typical IMB.

Whilst you're waiting, you might want to watch this from last week: the glorious Iain, with Alastair Reynolds and Peter F Hamilton in discussion. Makes an hour go very quickly.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnZnza8Kng

Mark

8. Danogzilla

Score! Thank you! It would have taken me a while to come upon this.

9. Hobbit

No problem! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.... :)

Mark

10. Danogzilla

It. Has. Arrived.

I am thrilled to announce that I will be starting Iain M Banks' Hydrogen Sonata in a few moments. Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you all how it went, because upon reading the last page I will sublime.

11. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

sorry, you need to be a Culture (or similar tech) AI or a full civilization to sublime; a puny human would be swept away to nothingness by himself/herself...

12. livens

livens Registered User

Reading Flood by Stephen Baxter. Really enjoying this one so far. The plot has dried out a bit a few chapters in though. The book started off with some good action and was moving along nicely. Now Im getting a very detailed description of London. It does look like the 'disaster' is really kicking off now so I think it will pick back up.

I have the sequel, Ark. I may start right into that one after finishing, or start into another book of his, The Wheel of Ice. Its a Doctor Who book set in the Second Doctor's time line. Big fan of classic who but haven't watched any of the second doctor. I procured all of the classic who back through Pertwee a few years ago but havent made it that far back yet. For some reason I decided to watch the doctor's in reverse order...

13. Danogzilla

Yeah, I just read that :(

14. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

I am starting David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. I hope to enjoy it and finish it before the movie is released. Got a lot on my plate as my vacation in the Philippines ends and I bring my fiancé home with me and have to get married and find a new job all in a very short amount of time.

Wish me luck on all fronts.

15. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

I'm more than half way done with Embassytown and loving it.

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Fire Season arrived today - was surprised at how much thinner it is than A Beautiful Friendship actually - and I've started it.

Enjoying it, definitely, and it still feels like it's Weber despite (I suspect) Jane Lindskold taking over the writing duties, which is good. It seems like part of the plot (a part I think suicil didn't approve of much) is being started oh-so-subtly where I am now, in that it's basically written as YOU WILL DO X TO GET RESULT Y - and no, I'm not joking - but as I can see it coming it might not be an issue.

Might.

17. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

After disappointingly giving up on the last two fantasies I started, I'm reading Leviathan Wakes and really enjoying it so far.

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Not technically a "read", but I've just listened to Judge Dredd: Crime Chronicles - Double Zero from Big Finish, written by James Swallow. Picked it up for about £4 in the recent Big Finish sale. It's got Louise Jameson (from Doctor Who, no less!) as Anderson and Toby Longworth (who was in the Ciaphas Cain audio drama I reviewed for this site) as Dredd.

I do struggle with audio a bit, I tend to get distracted and blank out, and trying to keep focus for an hour is pretty hard, but I found this easier to focus on than the other Swallow-penned audio I've listened to (Red & Black, a Warhammer 40k drama) but the diversity in the voices (largely two characters - Judge Dredd and Judge Anderson) helped. What's also nice is a short interview/discussion with the voice actors at the end.

Fun little story, even if I didn't quite buy Jameson as Anderson - but at the end she says she didn't get chance to do the research the role deserved, so I can kinda let it slide.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I believe I'm now where suicil began to have issues.

Excuse me whilst I go slam my head against my door a few times.

20. Zsinj

Zsinj Registered User

Not too long ago I finished Robert E. Heinlein's "Stranger In A Srange Land," and while it was good, it didn't live up to all the hype I heard about it. In fact, I found it kind of strange, I mean, I know it was written at the dawn of the sexual revolution, but some it just seemed really bizarre. Unlike others say, it just doesn't hold up as a classic of SF like say "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "A Princess of Mars" or "Dune."
    I'm now reading this rather independent science fiction/horror e-book from one of my good writer friends, Paul DeThroe, entitled "The Devil's Prophet Part I: Revelations, and it's quite riveting. It's like an agnostic version of "Left Behind" blended with "Independence Day."