Reading in October!

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by ChrisW, Oct 1, 2002.

1. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

Currently reading "The Golden Fool" by Robin Hobb. Nearly finished it and it's great! Has a few characters from the Liveship books so you may wan't to refresh your memory on them first. They don't play a big role but its sucks trying to remember who and what they did.

Sorry Mr Barclay had to stop reading your book as soon as Golden Fool arrived. Will hopefully get back to it after.

Also reading the second Earthsea book at work.

2. elpa

elpa New Member

Oh how I envy you! :[ I should have never read FE last month, this is killing me! You know, in February I was looking at the release dates and was really looking forward to a wonderful fall filled with Martin, Jordan, and Hobb...oh well. I made a library run last night and picked up the following:

Daughter of the Forest
    Son of the Shadows
    Child of the Prophecy
    The Barbed Coil
    Lonesome Dove
    Riddle-Master Trilogy

Not to mention I still have A Song for Arbonne which is due in a week, so I suppose I need to stop putting it off and get cracking. :]

3. ezchaos

ezchaos Next to Arch Stanton

This month, I'm reading The Golden Compass by Pullman. I can say that I'm quite happy with the book so far and will be reading the rest of the trilogy soon.
    Other than that, I might finish up Rhingold by Stephan Grundy. I really love Norse/Germanic mythology, so this book is my cup of tea. However, it's a little ponderous, so I had to give it a break after finishing part I.

4. Zaknafein

Zaknafein Now, where was I?

Hope I can finish "A Game of thrones" by GRRM tonight, afterwards, I'll read "Assassins Apprentice" by Hobb, then I think I'll give DAvid Eddings a try by reading "Pawn of Prophecy".

5. cgw

cgw Registered User

Started Teckla by Brust last night. I read Jereg (sp?) more than 10 years ago. It is Ok (easy reading) but not not great (which explains why I waited so long.

6. Mamb

Mamb Master Blaster

Got the letter today that Golden Fool has arrived, so i'll be collecting that tomorrow

7. Stor-All

Stor-All Registered User

I'm going to finish up The Fellowship of the Ring and try to finish of the series before the end of the month. That should probably fill my month up.

8. Valada

Valada Overworked & Underpaid

Right now I'm reading (finishing) Mary Gentle's first Ash book.

9. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

What did you think Valada?
    Are you reading the edition put out in Australia? "If so there should be only one book...

10. DarthV

DarthV Sith Lord

Still reading John Marco's Grand Design. I'm hoping to have it and the last book in the trilogy finished off in a couple weeks. Awesome series so far!

11. elpa

elpa New Member

No no no, you'll read AA and then you will have to read Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest, the Live Ship Traders Trilogy and finally Fool's Errand! :)

12. Nimea

Nimea Leisure time optimizer

Reading Mary Gentle's Ash, the UK edition.

13. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Ice

Due to school, having a nasty cold and the fact that I'm a slow reader I'm still on Jordan's The Great Hunt :( .I really want to get reading again as its a good book.

14. Crysania

Crysania Registered User

These are my fave threads!

Currently, having finished, Pullman's Amber Spyglass... I've diverted to reading Coronation Everest by Jan Morris. I LOVE Jan Morris. He/she/he/she is one of the most amazing descriptive writers I've ever encountered. Other books by her include The Matter Of Wales and Hong Kong. She does (did) a lot of travelogues that are just stunning.

Anyway... after I'm done with that, I'm going to move onto the second book in the Otherland series finally.

15. Olivaw

Olivaw Humaniform Robot

Just finished Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, ooooo, that's gonna be a good movie (still have to see Manhunter, the original adaptation).

Right now I'm reading Donaldson's Mirror of her Dreams. Good so far, I'm exactly 18% into it.

Olivaw

16. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Hurrah, lots of people reading Ash

Have I said I thought it was a good book? :D :D :D

17. Valada

Valada Overworked & Underpaid

Caldazar, I'm enjoying it a lot. It's most definitely a strange format, in terms of interspersed emails and so on, but I like it. Very original in that sense!

I haven't actually checked the edition, but have to admit I was definitely confused. I was looking for the book in shops for quite a while, but only wanted it in trade paperback - I found that the Australian editions in normal paperback were just ridiculous in terms of font size and the like. I ended up seeing something called "Book 1" of Ash in the local library, and snaffled it up as quickly as possible. So now I need to search out the other book(s) in the series (I know nothing about the rest of the series, ie. how many books, etc). The book I am reading has a blue cover and a picture of Ash in her armour and holding a sword. At least I think that's what is on the cover!

18. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

I think you've got your hands on a US edition there Valada. As far as I can tell, the Australian edition is that lumping big trade paperback. You could have some problems getting your hands on the rest.

19. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Today I finished The Physiognomy VERY good Fantasy novel. Not even 250 pages in mass market, but every word of every page was put together superbly. This was everything Good Fantasy can be.

20. cgw

cgw Registered User

Actually I bailed on Ash.