Reading in September 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

It's generally considered the best book in the series, so I'd definitely recommend finishing the second half.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I've only read half of it, Rob ;)

3. algernoninc

algernoninc It never entered my mind

started The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I expect the Cemetery of Forgotten Books will put in an appearance, but otherwise it will be low on the superantural elements.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  4. Ochos

Ochos Hell!

I'm reading Dawnthief by James Barclay at work, just getting into it, looks promising.
    And The wheel of time at home, up to book 2
    and Seven ancient wonders by Matthew Rielly as a filler. but this lot could be put on hold as ive just been bought The Crippled God.

5. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Oh that's right, they split the UK editions into two books, right?

6. Khale

Khale Registered User

After reading through recommendations on this site, I just downloaded to my kindle Blood Song (Raven's Shadow 1) by Anthony Ryan. It definitely grabbed me from the beginning.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Aside from a small number of editions, that's exactly what they did. Same has happened with A Dance With Dragons.

8. Rhizy

Rhizy New Member

Just started Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns - wow impressive opening 2 chapters - has me hooked. You gotta love the Kindle, I downloaded PoT on my train commute home from work after finishing Leviathan Wakes - James S. A. Corey - very much looking forward to reading second in that series. But wanted a change in pace from Space Opera.

After finishing Prince of Thorns aim to go back and finish Jo Nesbo's The Devils Star and possibly start James Lee Burke's Rain Gods. Or maybe I'll kick back up on the Corey series and read the second book.

So a few lined up for this month on the Kindle.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  9. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Registered User

Just picked up Storm Front and I'm excited to start my journey with Mr. Harry Dresden. Also, kudos to Jim Butcher, it's nice to read a fantasy author who doesn't take himself too seriously.

10. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Well, that was a fun book! Can't wait to read the next one. This is one everybody here should be reading.

Starting The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow* today, a steampunk, fantasy, mystery.

*That can't be her real name, can it? If it is her real name, that's pretty cool.

11. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

Yesterday I finished Bitter Seeds. I liked the concept, but some of the execution didn't hit for me. It felt hurried and light in a few places, and I never really felt much for any of the characters. I'm intrigued enough about the overall story arc (and by the sample chapter from the second book) that I'll continue with the trilogy.

Now onto Ready Player One. Two genre books in a row. Maybe I'm getting my mojo back!

12. Rob B

Five chapters into and it did nothing for me, I couldn't connect with the story and everything seemed quite scattered.

I think its a larger issue of Steampunk in prose form not being my proverbial cup of tea.

13. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Finished Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World last night and thought it was another accomplished novel from the author. I've also read 1Q84 and Kafka on the Shore, but of the three this is the weirdest and most ambiguous. That said, his subtle writing style and some of the interesting ideas made it a flowing and memorable read. Still thinking about parts of it now.

Onto a different type of book now, a Clash of Kings.

14. sic's mom

sic's mom I want to be a princess

Well I finally started "Thirteen" by Kelley Armstrong. I have love the Women of the Underworld series basically from the start. Even though it has had its ups and downs, for the most part it has been a really good series. This is the final novel in the series and I am excited to see how she wraps it all up.

15. Slice of G

Slice of G Registered User

Just finished the 6th Harry Potter book. I thought that maybe for me it wouldn't live up to expectations because of all the hype surrounding it but it really is a good series. I've managed to not hear any spoilers about the books (I don't know how I did that) and the ending of this book was WOW! I also enjoyed reading more about Voldemort's back story. Looking forward to reading the 7th and final book.

Up next is Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent. No sparkly vampires here.

16. ommet

ommet Pie are round not squared

Just finished book 2 of the Mistborn trilogy and am about 50 pages into the third. So far it's an enjoyable series and a nice break from the 'heaviness' of the Malazan series (which I will continue after Mistborn).

If I were to complain about something in Mistborn, I would have to point out a few Deus ex moments. Not dealbreakers by any stretch although it feels like the author cheated a bit.

17. Raule

Raule Registered User

I picked up Susan Ee's Angelfall which is (I think) self-published and selling well on Amazon right now. I'm at the half-way point, and it's pretty good so far. It's YA, Post-Apocalyptic set in and around San Francisco. I think it would appeal to readers who liked The Hunger Games or even Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It's first person narrative, and the narrator has an engaging, snarky voice, but wisely not too preciously snarky.

18. Ochos

Ochos Hell!

Just finished "dawnthief" by James Barclay. Really enjoyed it, im going to read "the Crippled God" now before i find the other "Raven" books.

19. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

I finally finished King of Thorns. It took me a long time not because of the book itself, but just 'cause I haven't been doing much audio lately. I enjoyed it a lot, although it didn't have the shock value of the first one.

And I started Devil Said Bang, the new Sandman Slim. Having fun with it. :)

20. Rob B

Picked up A Crown of Swords in my Wheel of Time re-read very nearly a year after I read book 6 Lord of Chaos. I've got some serious catching up to do if I want to read A Memory of Light when it publishes in January.