Reading in September 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Starting book two of Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders today, Mad Ship. I've been very impressed by each of the four books I've read by thus far, so I have high hopes for this one.

2. Emate

Emate www.cryptids.co.uk

Started Stephen King's fourth in the series Wizard And Glass. Pace has picked up considerably, and I find the link between Roland's world and the "normal" world extremely chilling.

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It's the second half where the fun happens, and I quite liked a lot of what happened.

So, now that's finished, I've gone on to A Feast for Crows.

4. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

Currently reading The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams. Only a few chapters in but I like it. Not sure exactly what is going on but the premise is a little bit different at the start, which I like.

Bought a lot of books for National Book Day yesterday so going to do my best to get through them before the end of the year.

5. Raule

Raule Registered User

I finished Angelfall this morning. I thought it was decent as a first novel and shows promise as the first in a series, but could definitely use some polishing. The worldbuilding is vague and lacks clarity. I felt the internal logic needed work, too. The book is fairly short and certain elements felt like they could have used more development. It felt very much like a NaNoWriMo novel with some interesting ideas and vision but written fast and furiously. The narrator is a 17 year old girl and feels age appropriate so I can understand its appeal to its target audience. Older readers may find their mileage varies.

6. Johnny B

Johnny B Registered User

I finished Changes by Jim Butcher last night-- definitely my favorite Dresden book so far.

I'm debating whether to go right on to Ghost Story or start The Codex Alera---tough choice because it's the last Dresden book out and I've been savoring this series over the last year and a half. I'll be sad when I have to start waiting for them to be published.

7. RedMage

RedMage There is no tomorrow

Re-reading Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock in the run up to Halloween. I'm a slow reader and I'm trying to get back into writing after a long break so starting early is a must. I'm about 120 pages in, it's just as good as the first time. I will probably read Brom's The Child Thief next, another book I first read around Halloween a couple of years ago.

8. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Wow, thanks for the high praise. Making the ending satisfying was a huge goal for me so I'm glad that for you I made the right deicisions.

9. CodanOfCanada

CodanOfCanada Lord of the Frozen Wastes

Just picked up A Dance with Dragons again. I had burned myself out on fantasy books a couple of years ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm really digging in now though.

10. DJ94122

DJ94122 Registered User

You deserve it.

11. DragonReader

DragonReader Registered User

Now reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

12. pat5150

pat5150 Staff

Just finished Tad Williams' first foray into urban fantasy, The Dirty Streets of Heaven. An interesting and entertaining read, no question. But I felt that the ending was rushed and robbed it of the impact it should have had...

Cheers,

Patrick

13. Quimby

Quimby yep

Finished the Troupe and Sandman Slim last week. Enjoyed them both. Especially the Troupe. Robert Jackson Bennett did a really good job of writing a teenager.

Going to start Caliban's War now.

14. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

Just started Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's The Healer's War. It's a fantasy set during the Vietnam war, which I'm really interested to see how the fantastical elements come into play. I've only read stuff by Scarborough that was written alongside Anne McCaffrey when I was quite young, and I was expecting something light. However, I've read the prologue and the dedication only, and I don't think that's going to be the case. It's a very pleasant surprise. Scarborough was a nurse in the Vietnam war, so I'm expecting some strong base in reality. The book won a Nebula in 1989. The dedication alone has piqued my interest:

That's a strong dedication, I think.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  15. Raule

Raule Registered User

Another for the wish list. That sounds good! I'll be curious to hear how it turns out for you.

16. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

So far this month I've read Jim Hines new book, Libriomancer. Also read an oldie, Pavane by Keith Roberts, which straddles the line between fantasy and science fiction.

Now reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente.

17. murf99

murf99 Registered User

Been reading this series the last couple of months. On book 4 now and I'm totally hooked. Gonna keep reading em til Red Country comes out in late October before I take a break.

18. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

I'm nearly 100 pages through 11.22.63 by Stephen King and really enjoying it so far. There's still a lot of book in front of me - hopssefully it doesn't bog down.

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Registered User

I found that to be his best book in at least a decade. Loved it.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It's a good read, and it reads quicker than an 800+ page book should. It's definitely King, but I'd go as far as to say it contains everything that makes King a great author.