Reading in September 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Hobbit, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I jumped into Caliban's Hour by James S.A. Corey a couple of days ago. Liking it a lot.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I got halfway then stalled. I think it might be better going into it straight from Leviathan Wakes.

3. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog Staff Member

Ah, yes. Caliban's Hour, the long awaited condensed version of Caliban's War. I always thought those pivotal sixty minutes of the conflict were begging for a retelling in novella form.

4. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Finally received my promised review copy of The Fractal Prince and I plan to read it soon as I am really curious if I will finally get on the Rajaniemi bandwagon after what I felt was an overhyped Quantum Thief...

Also bought another indie, Last City by Nina D'Aleo (this could count as fantasy too from the blurb, but the reviews that made me buy it + the very good Kindle price still on despite only an ok'ish sample, argue it's sf)

Two more huge sf for 2012 remaining for me (Banks and Valtat) but so far a very strong year

5. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

I'm going to start Weber's The Honor of the Queen tonight. Looking forward to a fun read. I enjoyed the first book in the series and have heard they only get better.

6. livens

livens Registered User

I started on The Unreasoning Mask by Philip Jose Farmer. A few chapters in and nothing has really piqued my interest. I was especially unimpressed by the first alien race he introduces us too, way too human-like to be believable. But the writing is good and Ramstan seems to be an interesting character. I do sense a lot of religious undertones so far, Im hoping that does not become a central theme of the story.

And I just found a copy of Flood by Stephen Baxter :) Ive had the sequel Ark and have been putting off reading it until I got my hands on the first one. I promised myself to finish reading The Unreasoning Mask, but right after Im starting in on Flood.

7. scumby

scumby Registered User

I'm glad to hear you say that, as it seemed like I was the only person on the Internet that thought Quantum Thief was overrated. I guess after all the glowing reviews and hype I was expecting more. However, I am still planning on reading the Fractal Prince.

Jeff

8. suciul

Well, there was a little controversy here about the book at the time of its publication - all polite by and large as the forum keeps it and I put up a short review on FBC explaining my issues with it, but I am also eager to see how things go in Fractal Prince as I like ambitious sf

I read only a few pages so far as I am still reading some historical fiction, while I may revisit Quantum Thief too if needed, but I expect I will get seriously into Fractal Prince next; on the other hand the US publication is November and the UK is only at the end of this month, so will see

9. odo

odo Registered User

I also was a bit underwhelmed by The Quantum Thief. I had read some excellent short stories by Rajaniemi and was expecting much more from that novel.

10. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I'd agree with that statement. I've read up to Ashes of Victory, the 9th book, and after a break from them I'm very eager to get back to the story.

Re: The Quantum Thief. I didn't even finish it, and I can't see me ever picking up a book by Rajaniemi again based on what I read. I understand that many people thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and based on the sales figures I've seen it was a massive hit, but saying it's not for me is an understatement of epic proportions.

Anyway, still on Great North Road, only 1/4 left to go (which is about the size of an average novel).

11. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

Interesting... from your past posts, I thought we have very similar tastes and I'm about 80% through Quantum Thief... and I think it's one of the most original stories to come across my plate in a while (granted I usually stick with space operas, or military Sci-Fi)... at first though I'm like what the hell is going on.. this is making no sense and is ridiculously jumbled... but now it's awesome! (i'm listening to the audiobook so i don't know if that has anything to do with it??!)

and definitely update us on great north road... I want to read that real bad!

12. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Though I found a good deal interesting about The Quantum Thief, I too was underwhelmed and don't plan on reading the sequel.

I'm more than 1/2 way through Caliban's War and while I'm enjoying it quite a bit, some is a bit of retread from Leviathan Wakes.

13. scumby

scumby Registered User

Blue Remembered Earth

I just finished listening to the audio book of Alastair Reynolds Blue Remembered Earth. I was glad I listened to the audio book, because it was a bit slow in places. The characters were well developed, and the story interesting, but sometimes it seemed like he delved into more detail than was needed. At first I felt the end was a bit of a let down, however as I've thought about it more I think this was a really well thought out book with some interesting insights into human nature and potential.

Jeff

14. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Paused about halfway through Clash of Kings for a scifi fix in the form of Barrington Bailey. Read The Pillars of Eternity which was quite good and similar to his previous book I read in that they both broached time travel, The Fall of Chronopolis.

Pillars started of well with the main character an augmented being, setting out to find the rare time-travel gems on an elusive planet that wanders in a thick star cluster. Towards the end though I felt it lost it's way a bit. Preferred The Fall of Chronopolis more, but I'm liking the author.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Finished.

Enjoyed it more the second time, and it's about two weeks now until the sequel. Perfect timing, no?

16. suciul

if you are into ebooks you can buy Fire Seasons for 6$ drm free multiformat today and read it immediately...

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1687-fire-season.aspx

Back on topic hopefully tomorrow Hydrogen Sonata arrives, though I still have ongoing rereads of two recent epic historicals I greatly enjoyed (Winter World and Poseidon's Spear) and a few other books to read too - sfnally Uninvited by Liz Jensen is another one in addition to Fractal Prince...

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Aye, I could, but I already have Fire Season pre-ordered in hardcover to go with my hardcover of A Beautiful Friendship ;)

Chosen Asimov's Foundation for tonight's reading.

18. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Just finished Weber's The Honor of the Queen. Very good entertainment. The last hundred or so pages were pretty riveting. Naval space battles galore. This is a series I'm excited to continue.

19. raggedyman

raggedyman Registered User

Just finished one of my favorite time travel novels , Time and Again by Jack Finney. It was as good as I remembered. It gets 5 out of 5 stars.

20. suciul

reviewed properly Mark Kalina's Hegemony - here is a link to the thread I created as the book is quite fun and promises a lot if more gets written

My highly awaited copy of IM Banks Hydrogen Sonata arrived so of course I do not plan to read anything else for a while...

Edit later: started Hydrogen sonata tonight and here is the first paragraph of the novel per se after a prologue chapter with talking ships (vintage IM Banks and awesome):

"At sunset above the plains of Kwaalon, on a dark high terrace balanced on a glittering black swirl of architecture forming a relatively microscopic part of the equatorial Girdlecity of Xown, Vyr Cossont - Lieutenant Commander (reserve) Vyr Cossont to give her full title - sat, performing part of T.C. Vilabier's 26th String-Specific Sonata For An Instrument Yet To Be Invented, catalog number MW1211, on one of the few surviving examples of the instrument developed specifically to play the piece, the notorious difficult, temperamental and tonally challenged Antagonistic Undecagonstring - or elevenstring, as it was commonly known.
    T.C. Vilabier's 26th String-Specific Sonata For An Instrument Yet To Be Invented, MW1211, was more usually known as "The Hydrogen Sonata".

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012