Reading Wheel of Time for the first time

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Doggles, Sep 14, 2012.

1. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Oh man. The women, particularly Nynaeve, were probably the most annoying thing I've had to deal with in any book. It almost made me stop reading. Jordan has a warped view on how women think.

2. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

I feel that both Nynaeve and Elayne were exceptionally annoying, particularly around books 6-10. Elayne more so in book 9 and 10, since Nynaeve was not in those two as much.

3. Kenneth2

Kenneth2 Published Novelist

Didn't Robert Jordan pass away a few years ago?

4. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

yes he did

5. Doggles

Doggles Hocknose

Ok, so up to chapter 17. Still enjoying it, a little slow but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

One thing I've just read that I don't get is that The wisdom has just told Rand about how she can remember his father returning to the village with a new wife and baby, which makes him realise he was born outside of the the two rivers. But the first few chapters told us that the Wisdom is very young and only a couple of years older then Rand. It seemed like she was telling it as if she was a wiser older woman, yet she could only have been 2 or 3 at the most!!! Is this a RAFO or just a mistake?

6. Johnny B

Johnny B Registered User

It's been a while since I read these, but I was always under the impression that Nynaeve was in her upper mid 20's (27ish maybe?) while Rand was about 19 at the start of the series. If this is the case then she would probably remember this.

7. chris777

chris777 Registered User

First of all, I envy you and your fresh start to a great series. Let me give you two links that will save your life with this series!

Tor Re-Read. **REMOVED AS IT CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Wot Character info. This website is AMAZING for WoT. There are a lot of characters, and sometimes people show up and you think "who is she, how do I know her, what has she done?". This website tells you what they have done UP TO THIS POINT. So it never spoils you. Select the book you are reading.
    http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/cgi-bin/wot.cgi

I would recommend reading both website and utilizing them starting on Book2. At the very least bookmark the Character Info site. It helped me soooo much.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. Doggles

Doggles Hocknose

cheers Chris,

I had a quick look at the Tor re-read but I think there are massive spoilers in there, but the other link looks great, appreciate the heads up!!

9. chris777

chris777 Registered User

For the re-read you can of course use whatever method you prefer. But what I did(For Malazan, I didn't know it existed when I read WoT) was read a chapter; then go look through that chapter's re-read. But imo the first book of WoT is pretty straight forward, it starts getting confusing later and that's when the re-read and char site will come in extremely handy. So yes, there are spoilers. Don't look through it now! You could start looking through each chapter re-read after you read that chapter now if you find it helpful.

10. Khale

Khale Registered User

11. Doggles

Doggles Hocknose

Ok, so up to chapter 25 now...

I'm still enjoying it, one thing I will say though is that it seems quite "drawn out". I can't put my finger on it but it seems like not a great deal has happened yet I'm quite a way into the book, I think I could have got as far as I am in the half the amount of pages...

I really like the world building and I definitley am getting the epicness and history...I'm finding it very difficult to not look up charaters in the multitude of wiki's out there...I had a quick look and got a few minor spoilers so won't be doing that again!!

12. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Don't forget you're in for the long haul here - this isn't really an 800 page book, it's more like the first part of a 10,000-odd page book :)

13. Harry Hoo

Harry Hoo Registered User

Finally some spoiler free discussion.

I've also finally taken the leap of faith into the world that is The Wheel of Time. I finished Eye of the World over the weekend and have just started The Great Hunt.

I am interested in seeing how our opinions compare as I'm also in a similar boat to you Doggles, I'm in my late 20's and have always been interested in WoT but always felt it was geared towards younger readers, that and with no end in sight to the books, I always thought what’s the point.

Eye of the World was drawn out however the pace really picked up towards the end, especially the last 100 or so pages. I will wait until you have finished EotW before I post anymore thoughts on it.

14. Doggles

Doggles Hocknose

cheers for the input Harry, yeah I plan to get some serious reading done over the wknd so maybe able to catch you up.

be good to discuss with someone reading at the same time!!

15. Harry Hoo

Harry Hoo Registered User

Exactly what I was thinking and it will be great to have some motivation, especially during the widely talked about slog through books 8 and 9?

After further reflection while EotW could have been condensed somewhat I don't know if there was much I would have actually removed given the choice. You should notice the story does pick-up from chapter 25 onwards. I much preferred the second half of the book.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. Lordwalker

Lordwalker Registered User

I am thinking about starting the series as well. Have been on the fence for a long time due to some of the more negative reviews but it seems like I am missing out on one of the "classics" of the genre.

17. Whitleyrr

Whitleyrr Named Man

This thread has made me toy with the idea of a reread. I've only ever read through Book 7, so there would be a lot of new material.

One thing that interests me would be rereading it as an adult. I first read EotW in middle school. I didn't feel like it was geared towards younger readers then (in fact I have a distinct memory of a snobby librarian handing me TGH and saying, "Now this is an adult book..." I thanked her for her input and asked if she wanted my opinion on what she was reading.)

So I'd be very interested if adults reading it for the first time (or adults rereading it) think it is geared more towards younger readers or not. Or if they think it speaks differently to them now than it did 20 years or so ago.

18. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Registered User

I started reading this series as an adult and I never had the notion that it was geared toward a younger audience. Seems to me to have very adult themes to it.

19. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

I picked it up for the first time in my mid thirties, and I guess my answer would be "yes and no". It does have a sort of PG13 feel to it compared to a lot of modern fantasy (it's not the "swearing, shagging and stabbing" sort of thing that Joe Abercrombie does so well) but thematically it's definitely an adult work.

I suppose you could say it is an adult book that it's safe to let older children read, in the same way that LOTR is. The violence cranks up a few notches in some of the later books, but that's about it.

20. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Just an FYI if you want guys. When I read WoT, I found these threads and actually started my own for a bit.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/42414-a-first-time-readers-journey/
    Be careful not to read past where he mentioned he is.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/42681-reading-loc-for-the-first-time/
    Not much here, but a little about reading Book 6 for the first time.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/46194-book-9-winters-heart/
    book9

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/46403-book-10-crossroads/
    book 10