Reading Wheel of Time for the first time

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Doggles, Sep 14, 2012.

1. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

As to that, you're going to have to wait and see. :)

Jordan does almost everything for a reason. Even random things scrawled on walls or scraps of paper or things someone dreamed once can come back to be very important, often not for several books time (which is partly why there are so many "readers notes" sites out there for WOT!).

2. Doggles

Doggles Hocknose

You've got me thinking...

I wonder if that actaully freed ba'alzamon rather than trapped him

3. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I can't find a way of answering with out giving something away. But you will find out very soon, I think.(I'm pretty terrible at remembering in what book something happens since I usually read them back-to-back-to-back) Let's just say there's a few twists waiting for you. It gets better and better...until it gets worse...then better again =)

4. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

I have to agree with an earlier post about how EotW feels like a prologue. I just feel like everything is set up for book 2 and beyond. TGH is definitely where the fun begins in the WoT for me.

5. Doggles

Doggles Hocknose

OK am having to agree with you guys, I am 8 chapters into The Great Hunt and already I can sense it's a better book. The prose is much better the story feels abit tighter. Enjoying the other POV's...so far so good :)

6. kongming

kongming www.voxnewman.com

If there's an official list somewhere, put me down for WOT sorta sucks ;-)

Same goes for LOTR.

That said I fully understand why so many people love it, especially if they read it as teens. I'm glad you folk finally got your final book.

7. Malthar

Malthar Reek rhymes with geek

When I started WOT, there were maybe 3 novels released. It was unlike anything available at the time, and I devoured them and waited patiently for every novel afterward, but with my enthusiams waning every time until after Winter's Heart I just stopped.

By then, there was new surge in quality epic fantasy, and I never really went back to WOT. Last year I went through the remaining novels, and I was generally impressed with both Jordan and Sanderson. The bloat was still there, the goofy idiosyncracies too, and the cast of identical Aes Sedai was a blurry as ever, but the plot picked up again with the end in sight. I really don't think there was anything ultra-exciting stunning after
    Dumai Wells until the White Tower was retaken

For completeness, I will finish the series, but I am in no way considering a start to finish reread.

8. Harry Hoo

Harry Hoo Registered User

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way of reading over the past couple week's and I've only just finished chapter 30 of the The Dragon Reborn. I will try to post some thought's tomorrow, it's 11pm and I still want to knock out a couple more chapters...

The series is only getting better and better! How long will it continue :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. azninvasion99

For me, about 2 more books lol I felt that Lord of Chaos was the beginning of the decline

10. Harry Hoo

Hey Chris hopefully you can help me out, I'm half way through The Dragon Reborn however while reading The Great Hunt
    I happened to use the website you mentioned and read a listing of the characters in the prologue and it states Balzamon is the name assumed by Ishamael, however it never explicitly states in the prologue or the book for that matter who Balzamon is. Either that or I missed it. Ishamael isn't mentioned at all, but Bors does wonder if Balzamon is one of the forsaken. Is this a major plot point? As it stand's I'm kinda worried could ruin a big reveal.
    I think I'm going to swear of all discussion/material relating TWoT except for this thread.

11. chris777

chris777 Registered User

According to that website, and what I thought of it when I read it...
    God. I'm sorry for recommending apparently two spoilerific sites. Geez. I used this character site exclusively during my read, and was never spoiled about anything. Seriously it was a life saver, specially for remembering all the million Aes Sedai that show up. But, I just sent an email to the creator of that site telling him about this.
    If you look at the first book, Ba'alzamon description, it states the same thing. Ridiculous. While this is pretty strongly hinted at during the books, it's not explicitly revealed until TSR. It's not a very surprising reveal, or very important one for that matter. After it's revealed, it's forgotten about and no longer means much. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with it, there are many many hints already pointing towards it. Many people by this time already assume it's one of the Forsaken, and most likely Ish. Regardless, I'm a little angry that there is even a LITTLE spoiler in something that claims 100% spoiler free.
    If he responds to me and changes this I will still recommend that site. Don't give up just yet, because as I said this wasn't a huge spoiler. But there should be 0 spoilers.

Side note: One thing that sucks about spoiler tags is that anyone subscribed to this thread(or any thread), when they get an email about the new post it just shows [ / s p o i l e r ] and the text...so if they dont close quickly you will see something you don't want to.

12. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I'd have to agree completely. It becomes A LOT of filler after that...until probably Knife of Dreams starts getting better. Then TGS and ToM are both pretty darn good!

13. azninvasion99

I agree. Knife of Dreams was a breath of fresh air, esepcially after Crossroads of Twilight...

14. chris777

chris777 Registered User

The guy for the website, http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/cgi-bin/wot.cgi - responded to me.

Probably didn't need spoiler'd, but just in case.

15. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Awesome, go Chris!

I started the 4th book after taking a break to read a few more Dresden books and the first book in Tad Williams' new series. I haven't enjoyed an epic fantasy series like this in a few years. The 2nd and 3rd books were, quite simply, amazing and I am really looking forward to the developments I will catch up on in book 4. I am only about 50 pages in, so no real thoughts on anything yet.

16. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Let me add to that with respect to our last comments about books 6-10 or w/e. They are filler, fluff, and not as good as the others. But that doesn't mean they aren't GOOD. IMO, people complain too harshly about these books. The first ones, in my opinion, were so good that when the quality went down people started to trash the series. While if they would have started at that quality, it would still be considered a decent series. As I said, once Sanderson starts writing. It gets back to the amazing'ness of the series.

17. trixyD

trixyD New Member

To the OP I'm a little envious to be honest. I've been waiting for the conclusion to the saga for nigh on 20 years now, and just thinking back to the start of the journey all those years ago brings back some good memories. I would say it's definitely worth the read even if some of the later volumes are a little laborious.

One of the definitive works for any Fantasy lover, it's not as dark or gritty as say Martin or Erikson but the cast of characters is great and the story is suitably epic.

18. azninvasion99

The endings in books 6-10 were all fantastic imo, especially A Crown of Swords and Winter's Heart. I felt that Winter's HEart was undeserving of the hate it got, I thought it was the best between books 7-10.

19. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

With some major editing they probably could have been just as good as the first five. There was some interesting stuff happening in those books, just too much filler and repetition of the same conversations over and over. I've always thought one of the biggest problems is he was married to his editor. He needed someone he wasn't so close to that could tell him half of what he was writing was garbage.

20. Harry Hoo

No worries, as you mentioned it's hinted at more than once anyway. I think I will keep using the site then, as it does appear as if it could become extremely helpful down the track.