Riyria Revelations to be published by Orbit

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Haliax, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Heather Myst

Heather Myst Chocolate.....Count Me In

Robin,

I hope the book deal works our great for your family. I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying the series and please let Michael know that Riyria kicks ass! Your post was a classy move and I hope everyone here will give the books a look.

2. rsullivan9597

rsullivan9597 Registered User

"Tighter editing" is definitely one of the reasons for going traditional. I've heard nothing but great things from authors regarding the valueof having "the professionals" edit the book. Orbit assigned their Senior Editor (Devi Pillai) to the project and she mentioned that Michael's books were very clean (from a story standpoint) - she was not addressing copy edits.

3. rsullivan9597

Thanks - I'm glad you liked Michael's covers - many people have said nice things about them. As they are primarily "landscapes" Orbit felt that it tended to indicate an emphasis on world building when the reality is the books really are more central around Royce and Hadrian. They have already completed the cover designs and they look very professional (bu I would expect nothing less).

Besides the issues with landscape vs characters, there would be no way to decide "which" of the six covers would be used for each of the 3 books. I think they want to give the books the "Orbit treatment" which I fully support as they have done very nice covers in the past (some of my favorites actually even before we submitted to them.

4. rsullivan9597

Wow - I'm speechless and anyone who knows me knows that's not an easy feat to pull off. What a nice story - and thank you for sharing it. I was very moved.

5. rsullivan9597

Hey Bard - thanks for this. Hang in there - we'll get something worked out I'm sure. It might take a bit of time to figure out all the ins and outs but I'll keep you posted of the final outcome. Things are moving fast ... the announcemnet was just a bit ago and some of the "decision makers" are not in the office. But the wheels are churning.

6. rsullivan9597

Thanks Darksbane, this means a lot to me. And thanks for your support in telling others about this little series that I really think will catch on with others once they discover it exists.

7. rsullivan9597

Wave Leona - Been a long time se we've talked - I hope things are going well with your book(s). Has the second one hit the street yet? I know it was being worked on.

8. rsullivan9597

Hey Heather. Thank you -- and thank you for telling others about the series - I've seen you posting on it in the past - and I'm sure it is because of people like you helping to spread the word that helped to get this series to the next level.

9. henderson

henderson Registered User

Great news! Can't be more happy for Michael and Robin! I can wait for book 6, if it comes out in a timely fashion.

Just wondering with this new deal with Orbit, does this mean there will be more Riyiria Revelations novels in the future? Hope so! Thanks.

10. KatG

KatG Effulgent Staff Member

Publishing doesn't shut down during that time -- it's their biggest sales season -- but the acquisitions side gets slow because meetings are hard to schedule. Luckily that was surmounted and the deal was done. Now, Darksbane, Bard, intrigue us about what the series is about, please. :)

11. Heather Myst

Heather Myst Chocolate.....Count Me In

The reason we are all here is our love of fantasy and when you find a series this good it is a pleasure to recommend the books to fellow fantasy fans. I still remember my friend who told me you really need to check out A Game of Thrones. He got a free dinner out of the deal and I received hours of reading bliss.
    I'm hoping this deal means that we will see more of Riyria than just the first six books?

12. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

It's a very traditional style fantasy story. A wise powerful wizard, elves, goblins, dwarves etc. The storyline at first appears to be very straight forward, but there are many layers to the characters and plot that are slowly revealed throughout the series, and I'd say that is what Michael has done best. He builds on the story and characters very well, while keeping the plot moving forward at a fairly quick pace.

I'm sorry, I'm not one to write a synopsis, because I'm not sure what to say without giving away too much. The Crown Conspiracy basically starts with two thieves for hire who take a job and it turns out to not be exactly what they expected. From there the story is about the fallout of that job and how it entangled them in a fairly large "conspiracy". Avempartha and the rest of the books build on this story. I'd say the first three books could be read independantly of eachother, but its obviously best to read them in order.

I'm going to have to do a re-read before I say much more. And I don't really want to give away too much. Really it just boils down to a fun, light read that still engages the "detective" parts of your brain. Its obviously not going to be for everyone, but I think most people would find something to enjoy here.

13. rsullivan9597

Having Michael with Orbit rather than Ridan will allow me to spend more time with authors there - so yes I think it will increase the number of books released.

14. Leona Wisoker

Leona Wisoker New Member

Hi Robin--Yes, it has been a while! I imagine we'll catch up at one of the conventions over the next year...and yes, my second book, "Guardians of the Desert", is due out at the end of March 2011. I'm heading into the Mad Preparations For Launch stage as we speak....sure would be fun to see you & Michael there! (April 2 in Williamsburg, VA)--I'm expecting a decent crowd, so if you do attend, please bring business cards to hand out! (I've had a TON of compliments about the cover Michael designed for me, by the way.)

15. rsullivan9597

Place to request Percepliquis ONLY version

Hey guys...I just wanted to let you know that I've setup an email account: riyria6@gmail.com - if you want print versions of Percepliquis in its original format (i.e. size and Michael's cover) then please send a message here with the number of copies. This will help us and Orbit determine what if anything can be done in order to get those with a partial set to complete out the series as it was originally intended.

Thanks!

16. Bard

Bard Registered User

I have placed my order, Robin...:D
    Hope this will happen, would really like to have the series complete with Michaels cover and in the same size...
    And if not, well, at least you're trying and making an effort, that counts for a lot in my book...:)

Best of luck with this and also with your new deal with Orbit...
    I'm positive it will be a success and that we'll see more books by Michael in the future...

17. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

Well, according to Michael's blog we will be getting the final book on its own, with his cover afterall. Orbit will be running a limited run for an ebook version and a printed version. That's pretty amazing, I really didn't think he would be able to make that happen. A huge thanks to Michael, Robin, and the people at Orbit. I think I'll buy the three book set anyways, though. :)

18. rsullivan9597

Orbit's the best

I think this really goes to show just what a grat organization Orbit is. I know that it can't be easy for them to do this as it doesn't fit their standard model.

On other fronts....We've already received the covers for all three books and the story edits (very little changes - a new chapter 1 for book 1, nothing removed, and just a bit more explanations in a few areas. We're waiting on the copy edits but things are moving along quickly.

19. rsullivan9597

There will be a "Percepliquis Only" version that will have Michael's cover - it will be for sale for just a very limited amount of time so that those who have the "original" covers can complete their series.

The Omnibus versions by Orbit will have all new covers. They've already been created and I'm just waiting for them to "preview" them before providing links.

20. sic's mom

sic's mom I want to be a princess

Can you tell us when the "Percepliquis Only" version will be out? Do they have an idea yet. I want it to go with the others I have, and knowing how I am I will probably buy the new editions to just loan out and spread the word of these wonderful books.