Sci-fi comics

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Mithfânion, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Does anyone know of any comics that feature a space opera or another very impressive far-future SF world?

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

DC Comics has a great mini-series going, right now: Adam Strange written by Andy Diggle with some of the most beautiful art by Pascal Ferry.

Humanoids publishing has a decent amount space opera stuff, too.

3. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog Staff Member

I can't recommend The Ballad of Halo Jones by Alan Moore enough.

4. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

Though it's not Space Opera as such, you may want to have a look though Ellis' Orbiter.

I know warewolf likes Crossgen's Negation, though I wasn't tempted to pick it up myself.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  5. Keyoke

Keyoke King of the Lurkers.

Ocean by Warren Ellis is a scifi comic, it's a limited series of about 5 issues I believe. Two are out now.

Planetary is also has a very strong scifi feel to it as well. Again, by Warren Ellis. Though, it's on it's 20+ issue, you can find them all in graphic novel form. This is one title that you'll appreciate reading back to back. Love this one.

Keyoke

6. Warewolf

Warewolf Fanboy Extraordinaire!

Negation kicked ass!!! Too bad the company went bankrupt... :(

Can't think of any true space opera being published right now...

7. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

To reiterate my earlier post:
    Adam Strange written by Andy Diggle with some of the most beautiful art by Pascal Ferry

8. Blackwing

Blackwing New Member

There is a Starjammers comic from Marvel, which has lots of fighting, weird looking aliens, political intrigue and is written by Kevin J. Anderson.
    Not one of my favourites, but it's okay.

9. Priestvyrce

Priestvyrce Registered as What?

Adam Strange -beautiful art and interesting story.

Ocean and Planetary - both written by Warren Ellis and the art in both is breath taking, Sprouse(Ocean?) and Cassidy on Planetary.

10. Warewolf

Planetary is a superhero book (more or less). It qualifies as neither space opera nor far future sci-fi.

11. Keyoke

Keyoke King of the Lurkers.

Well, I'll have to disagree with Warewolf on Planetary. Sure, it definitely has a super hero feel to it, but, I still think it falls under the realm of scifi more so than a super hero book. :)

But, you should just pick it up. It's a great read! Conspiracies abound!

Keyoke

12. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Warewolf, has Crossgen stopped publishing completely?

13. Priestvyrce

Priestvyrce Registered as What?

Yeah, they've pretty much desolved.

ANother fantastic scifi comic, even though it is mostly a superhero comic, is the Fantastic Four. FF do great space opera.

14. Warewolf

Yup, they auctioned off all their properties a couple weeks ago. A subsidiary of Disney owns all of them now. They're going to be publishing Abadazad (with DeMatteis and Ploog still aboard) as a series of illustrated children's books. Haven't heard anything about the other properties, though. I hope they don't languish like the Valiant and Ultraverse stuff has.

15. Severance

Severance Registered User

The best SF comics I've read are those of Yukinobu Hoshino, inexplicably only three have ever been translated into English.
    1 - 2001 Nights - a series of short stories relating mankind's advancement into space, collected by Viz in 3 volumes.
    2 - Saber Tiger - 1 volume collected around the same time.
    3 - The Two Faces of Tomorrow - Dark Horse Comics 13 part adaptation of the novel by James P. Hogan.
    Not only wonderful art but wonderful Science Fiction.

16. Liam Sharp

Liam Sharp Tattooed baldy

And aside from all the above mentioned work, there's...

EVENT HORIZON!

www.mamtor.com

Also worth a look for shear scale, the classic french albums "Yragael/Urm" and "Lone Sloane: Delirious" by Phillippe Druillet, and "The Incal" by Moebius and Joderowsky.

Then there's the epic "Storm" series in Holand by the late great Don Lawrence.

17. Severance

Speaking of the late, great Don Lawrence, the Dutch Fan Club are putting out incredible over-sized hardback editions of Storm and Trigan Empire, pricey at nearly £50 each but the quality, not only of the Lawrence art but the production values of the hardbacks themselves, is staggering.

18. Liam Sharp

Oh these book are seriously beautiful. Don was my dear friend and mentor, besides being one of the biggest influences on me artistically as a child - and also as an adult.
    Severance, you might be interested to know that an all-new Storm tribute story written by Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) with art by some of the industry's big names, is set to feature in Event Horizon 4, which we hope to get out in time for the comic convention in Holland in October. It'll be the first 20 pages of a 40 page album, which of course the above mentioned fanclub will be collecting for the Dutch market. I spent a year as Don's assistant, and later helped on the last ten pages of his last ever album, so it's very exciting to be involved in this.

I just wish Don was around to see it...

Very best,

Liam.

19. Severance

Sorry Liam,
    I had no idea you knew Don personally and professionally, for some reason I thought it was Chris Weston who was Don's assistant. Considering the fact that Don received the Dutch equivalent of a knighthood, his virtually unknown status in the country of his birth is inexplicable.
    The forthcoming tribute story sounds intriging, I'll certainly look out for it.
    Speaking of Chris Weston, and getting back on the thread topic, have you seen his Ministry of Space, written by Warren Ellis, an alternate history SF graphic novel about the U.K. dominating the space race - absolutely superb. I think Warren's wonderful graphic novel with Colleen Doran, Orbiter, has already been mentioned, as has Ocean & Planetary.
    I've never considered comics like Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, Warlock, Nexus, Dreadstar etc to be SF, but just have an SF flavouring to their cosmic superheroics.

20. Liam Sharp

Heh. Yes, Chris Weston did go and work in Don's studio the year following me, but for some reason more people think of Chris than me with regard to Don - even though of the two of us only I was paid by the publishers and actually worked on some Storm pages (mostly from Vandaal the Destroyer).
    Ah well. ;)
    Chris is a friend of mine, and he'll be doing the cover. I've done the first five pages over breakdowns Don did before he died.
    Re. Chris's work - he's completely amazing. I'm a big fan, and indeed Ministry of Space is spectacular. Highly recommended!

Nice to meet another Don Lawrence fan here!

Very best,

Liam.