sci-fi thriller reccommendations

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by beedle, Oct 10, 2011.

1. beedle

beedle Registered User

Hi all,

Ive suddenly come to the end of my "to read" pile (a scary enough prospect for anyone) and I'm coming up blank for new material.

I'm after more of a thriller/detective or small special forces unit theme. Ideally the total opposite of a space opera- reletively small cast of characters, fairly tight plot etc

Recently read:
    Hamilton's Greg Mendel series, which I really enjoyed
    Fallen dragon, which was good but a bit bloated and with a rediculous ending Altered carbon, great fun but the rest of the series was a bit meh.
    Ian M Banks- read use of weapons and enjoyed it
    Neal Asher- read several, a bit hit and miss but good overall.

Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Pennarin

Pennarin Registered User

Warren Hammond's Kop and its sequel Ex-Kop. Here is one and a second review, both positive and helpful, but not in concordance, to help you make up your mind.

Adam-Troy Castro's Emissaries from the Dead and the next book set in the same universe, same protagonist, The Third Claw of God. Reviews one and two.

3. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Richard K Morgan - Altered Carbon is the first in his Takeshi Kovacs futuristic thrillers. I think it will fit your request nicely. It has the investigation part, the hard-boiled protagonist, the adrenaline rush and the technological marvels of the future.

Isaac Asimov's Caves of Steel and Naked Sun are still among my favorites some 30 years after I first discovered them.

As an introduction to Lois McMaster Bujold opus Falling Free is a stand-alone and a prequel to Miles Vorkossigan epic. It won some Hugo or Nebula prize, too. Later books in the series also have the detective / mystery component.

Pashazade by Jon Courtenay-Grimwood is an older read, I don't remember much about it other than the future setting based on the Ottoman Empire.

4. martielillycrop

martielillycrop martinelillycrop

I'd recommend David Gunn's Death's Head series - great humour, plenty of action and all that comes with it!

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

James S.A. Corey's Leviathan Wakes.

Written under a pseudonym by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (He's GRRM's assistant, I think), it's got pretty much everything you've asked for.

6. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I'd recommend Eric Brown, specifically his Bengal Station books - Necropath, Xenopath and Cosmopath. Similar to the Greg Mandel books, but also very different, and very much worth it.

Gavin Smith's Veteran is also a good one, small cast of characters and draws comparisons to Richard Morgan, Neal Asher and David Gunn.

7. beedle

beedle Registered User

Cheers for the reccommendations! I've got a decent list to work through now.

Ordered Leviathan Wakes and Veteran from the library, and grabbed Death's Head at the same time- should keep me going over the weekend :D

8. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

I don't normally apply the word thriller to sci-fi.

Tau Zero by Poul Anderson.

psik

9. symbolhunter

symbolhunter Science-Fantasy Zealot

An oldie that probably is a fairly effective mixture of thriller and science fiction is The Power {1956} by Frank M Robinson. I got my HB copy from ABE at a very competitive price.

10. beedle

beedle Registered User

Just finished Leviathan Wakes- truly fantastic! Loved every page, and can't wait for the next book in the series.

Big thank you to Loerwyn for reccommending it.

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Not a problem, beedle. Happy to help :)

12. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

I finished Robopocalypse because there is talk of it becoming a Spielberg movie.

It has a kind of gory fascination for the first 20% but by half way it is a bore.

I could see why some people would call it a sci-fi thriller bu I would not recommend it.

The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan is better but it starts off much slower and doesn't get thrilling until into the last half.

psik

13. jelder

jelder New Member

Sci Fi Thrillers

Fantastic recommendations - a couple I've read. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I definitely differentiate between science fiction and science fiction thrillers. Science fiction can have many sub-genres for example sci fi romance. I love compelling sci fi with elements of a thriller: suspense, the hunt etc. My novel Spectra has all those elements.

14. martielillycrop

martielillycrop martinelillycrop

Yeah, so does mine, but I don't try to shove it down people's throats!

Sorry folks, morning rant over :mad:

15. jelder

jelder New Member

Sci Fi Thrillers

Wow - It's called social marketing and it's the way of the world now. Get used to it and maybe get some sleep.

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It's not allowed here. I will say martie was perhaps a little out of line, but we don't really allow authors to join here for the sole purpose of trying to gain sales.

This is a discussion site, not an ad-board.

17. jelder

jelder New Member

Sci Fi Thrillers

My apologies. Sales were never my intention in this group. It was just a simple mention of the name. I don't even mention it in my profile, as others have. The truth is I'm trying to set up a website with a stockpile of links to great reviews of SciFi Thrillers, because I enjoy them so much. I'm just trying to gather other peoples' opinions of books in that genre, preferably recent releases. There's great SciFi out there, but it's hard from the reviews to pick out Sci Fi with specific elements of a thriller in it.

18. Diosces

Diosces AS=1/2(Vf**2-Vi**2)

suggestions

Great Sci Fi Thrillers, Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez.

Awesome books, I'd love to see a third.

19. Seli

Seli Registered User

I am not sure how close these books are to what you intended but anyway.

Jeff Somers - The electric church (and sequels)

David Louis Edelman - Infoquake (and probably its sequels in the Jump 225 trilogy) more of a business SF thriller.

K.W. Jeter - Blade runner 2: the edge of human a sequel of sorts to the film, more than the Dick story if I remember correctly.

Johnatan Lethem - Gun, with occasional music

David J Williams - Mirrored heavens (at the special forces side of the spectrum)

Walter Jon Williams - Metropolitan

ETA: Alastair Reynolds - The Prefect

20. Woofdog2

Woofdog2 Registered User

I consider myself picky, and I couldn't put this book down.