Science fiction for young readers.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Rocketsheep, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Rocketsheep

Rocketsheep Guest

I can find heaps of titles aimed at teenagers but because 'children's fiction' has assumed it IS a genre (kids don't have tastes?) I have to rely on word of mouth to find good titles for the under 12's.

Do you know any?

2. Vitriol

Vitriol New Member

Heilein's 'Star Beast' is excellent for for young readers (and older ones too, actually). Andre Norton's Beast Master book and its sequel are also good.
    You might also think about Ender's Game; it's quite violent in places, but is certainly compelling, and is written in a fairly simple style.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand New Member

Heinlein, Asimov and Norton all published a number of juveniles. I grew up on that stuff! I bet it's still good, but can you find it in print? Nowadays I suppose kids would read Star Wars and other novelizations of Science Fictions movies and TV shows. My kids read Fantasy, but no Science fiction yet.

4. Llama

Llama Registered User

Ray Bradbury. First read him around that age and it blew my mind, became my favorite writer until I went to college.

Also the famous Madeleine L'Engle books in the WRINKLE IN TIME series, although it's probably more fantasy than SF, really.

I used to read the Tom Swift books when I was very young (before Bradbury). I have no idea whether they still publish them. Very optimistic by-the-numbers sf, nothing too special.

5. galaga99

galaga99 Registered User

Hi. Clifford D. Simak's books rarely have violence or sexual content. They are some great books. I would recommend Highway of Eternity or Special Deliverance. Also, there is a writer named William Sleator. I read a book by him when I was an eighth grader called Singularity. It is awesome! I still own that book.

6. Loque

Loque masochistic biscuit

caves of steel-asimov and wasn't ender's game originally aimed at children?

7. Lady Fox

Lady Fox New Member

H.M Hoover had some scifi books published back in the mid to late 80's that were aimed toward younger readers. I'm not sure if they are still in print or not, but here are the titles. This isn't a series. Each is a stand alone novel, and all are fairly short.

Children of Morrow
    The Delikon
    The Lost Star
    Return to Earth
    This Time of Darkness
    The Shepard Moon

8. Rocketsheep

Rocketsheep Guest

Thank you everyone... excellent tips.

9. lemming

lemming New Member

Children of Morrow is an excellent one.

Also, all the Danny Dunn books, Escape to Witch Mountain (and the rest of Alexander Key's stuff if you can find it), everything by William Sleator (especially The Boy who Reversed Himself, Strange Attractors, House of Stairs), and Children of the Dust by Lawrence if you can find it.

Also The Girl With the Silver Eyes, forgot who wrote it, but unlike most of my list it's STILL IN PRINT, whoa what a thought. Keeping good books in print. Amazon has it. [​IMG]

10. Carmichael

Carmichael Guest

The Asimovs did a couple of sci-fi paperbacks about an unusually talented robot named Norby. They are about 10 years old or so. Kinda silly, but not a bad read.

Carmichael

11. Kamakhya

Kamakhya Seeker of Stuff

I recently bought the Wrinkle in Time series for my 8 yr. old daughter. I read it as a kid, but really didn't remember it, so I just reread it. The best thing about A Wrinkle in Time is the great lead female role. I find it so hard to find books for her that show strong women, particularly in the SF/Fantasy genre. I am currently reading The Wizard of Earthsea to her. While Le Guin is one of my all time favorite authors, the Earthsea trilogy has absolutely no female characters of any merit.

The downside (for me) of A Wrinkle in Time is that there are some fairly heavy religious (Christian) references. (We are not Christian.) But, I talked to my daughter about it before she started it and she was ok with that.

The story is pretty much your basic good overcomes evil through love. But, what makes it a great introduction to SF is it uses tesseracts to travel through time and space, has neat aliens and visions of distant planets.

12. Rocketsheep

Rocketsheep Guest

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to find this info extremely useful.

Now, if I were talking SF movies to say... a ten year old... what do you think their range of experience would be?

Poor little things haven't even heard of War of the Worlds or Day of the Triffids!

13. Pirate Jenn

Pirate Jenn New Member

RocketSheep-- (are those retro-boosters genetically grafted on?)

No one (I am shocked) has mentioned Sylvia Engdahl's "Enchantress From the Stars" (a good, perspective-bending book which blends Fantasy and Sci-Fi interestingly). This was a Newberry Honor book.

The Giver, by Lois Lowry--not hard science, but very Bradbury-esque.

Also, there's a series out by Lois McMaster Bujold about a Miles Vorkosigan that, I think (the first book, The Warrior's Apprentice) would make good reading for a younger audience.

There's an old series (if you can find it--check the used book stores) called "The Planetbuilders" written under the name Robin Tallis. The series can be read out of order and I recall reading them at about 11 or so.

There does seem an absence of newer sf vs. fantasy for youngsters--which is a shame.

(As to movies/etc... a sf-bent ten year old would still like Day of the Triffids, if you can find it <g>)

14. Rocketsheep

Rocketsheep Guest

Thank you, thank you. I get to corrupt... er... influence a pile of preteens towards the wonders of science fiction. My list is coming along nicely now.

15. Randal

Randal New Member

With 4 children, this is a subject I've been interested in for a while. Some good suggestions on this thread, thanks all.
    Apart from those mentioned, the following (excluding fantasy as offtopic for this thread) have all been read and enjoyed by my eldest (now 11.5 years old), and several by my second (now 9.5 years old):

The Witches of Karres - Schmidt (iirc)

Next of Kin - Eric Frank Russell

The Tripods trilogy - John Christopher (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, The Pool of Fire)

Various excellent Heinleins:

Have space suit, will travel
    The tunnel in the sky
    Citizen of the galaxy
    Starman Jones
    The star beast

In fact, the Star Beast was the least enjoyed of the Heinleins, I gather, because it was "a bit slow" at the start.

I'm on the lookout for several more books I remember as good from my own childhood - one in particular being Mission of Gravity by (I think) Clements.

16. Hungry Jo

Hungry Jo New Member

I earliest stuff I read was by a guy called Nicolas Fisk, his best ones are "Space Hostages" and "Grinny" they are specifically written for under 12s I think and would edfinatly be in the childrens section of enemy library.

His stuff was first published in the 80s I think, don't know how easy it would be to get hold of now.

Oh, I read Tunnel In the Sky quite recently and I quite enjoyed it, and I would also reccommend it for a younger audiance.

17. Fanderay

Fanderay Registered User

I remember enjoying the Tripod series by John Christopher and was going to recommend it but Randal beat me to it:). I think they have all been recently reissued, as its the 35th anniversary of The White Mountains (the first book in the series), so if you're interested they should be easy to come by.

18. confused

confused New Member

Here's where I abandon any claim to good taste... Douglas Hill has written a bunch of books for kids (Last Legionary, Blade of the Poisoner, a series about kids marooned on a worm-infested planet). Now, looking back on them I suspect their literary content is low, but as a kid I absolutely loved them. The books have lots of fighting and goodies/baddies stuff, but ... they were great ! (have you ever tried to reread Enid Blyton ?). I particularly recommend the Blade of the Poisoner series. Also, there's a very dark book called the Silver Citadel by Anthony Horowitz. If you're not worried about giving your kids complexes, it's great (I read it around the age of 10). It's all about drugs/death/paranormal.

Your kids are welcome to sue me in 20 years or so :)

and yes, the Tripods series were great. Nicholas Fisk also wrote some good stuff.

19. Rocket Sheep

Rocket Sheep I AM too a mod! Staff Member

Oooh this thread is still going... thank you, thank you.

You wouldn't believe the amount of kids that come to my class thinking they can write Harry Potter and Charmed type stories...

My boss even looked at my list and suggested I add a straight fantasy tale to it!

I tell you, it's not too hard being a Science Fiction expert in today's world!

20. Icemant90

Icemant90 Colour lovin' fireman

The Ender Saga is good, I am under twelve and Enders Game is my favourite book.