Seeking fantasy novels w/ female apprenticed under male teacher

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by rurounigirl, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rurounigirl

rurounigirl New Member

Hello all,

After having read The Magician's Guild I am interested in reading more books with females apprenticed under a male teacher. I am particularly interested in female fighters (i.e. girls with swords or weapons,) however, female magician apprentices would interest me as well.

But more specifically, I am interested in females apprenticed under male masters. I don't care if there is romance between the two or not. I am just interested in female apprentices with male masters/teachers. Also, if you know anything loosely based off of this criteria I would definitely be interested in that as well.

If anyone has any books they could recommend me I would appreciate it tremendously!

P.S. Sorry if this seems like a weird request. I usually go through reading phases where I am attracted to books with certain themes.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Hey rurounigirl - Welcome to SFFWorld.

Firstly, just want to take the time to point out that we ask members to ask for recommendations in the Fantasy/Horror Recommendations thread that's stickied at the top of this subforum. However, your request is a little unusual, so I reckon it'll be fine. It's more for future reference in your case.

Well, that is a tricky one. Have you gone for Trudi Canavan's other books? I would suspect The Magician's Apprentice and her Traitor Spy trilogy (which is, I think, a sequel to The Black Magician trilogy) would come under that.

If you're after something less YA-like and more complex, I could possibly see the dynamic between a few characters in Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt books as fulfilling your criteria, but the names of those characters eludes me right now.

Emily Gee's The Sentinel Mage also seems to have a little bit of that feel to it, in that that main character has largely been taught how to use her powers by her male companions, but it's less of a formal apprenticeship.

3. rurounigirl

rurounigirl New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I can't believe I missed that recommendation sticky thread. My bad!

I'm already looking into getting the rest of Trudi Canavan's books. I definitely enjoyed what I've read from her so far but I just wish that her female lead was more of a warrior type instead of flinching away from battle. I know that is picky but nonetheless I still enjoyed her book. I'd give it a 4/5.

Thanks for your other recommendations. I'm going to look into them right now!

4. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE by George R.R. Martin: Some subplots deal with this. Arya Stark trains as a swordswoman under a male teacher, Syrio Forel, in the first book before receiving on-the-job assassin training in Books 2, 4 and 5. Her sister Sansa receives lessons in political intrigue from a male teacher, but not until Book 4.

THE TALES OF EINARINN by Juliet E. McKenna: It's been a while since I read this, but IIRC the main character is a female thief. Her relationship with her mentor/lover is an important plot point.

THE MISTBORN TRILOGY by Brandon Sanderson: The main character, Vin, learns magic, swordplay and intrigue from a male mentor figure, Kelsier.

5. rurounigirl

rurounigirl New Member

Thanks Werthead! That McKenna novel sounds familiar to me. Is it part of a 5-book series? I will look it up but right now I'm a work. It sounds great though! I can never get enough of thief novels.

I have book one of the Mistborn trilogy sitting on my bookshelf all lonely and sad. I'm not sure why I've neglected it so long but I think now I'll give it some well-deserved attention! (I'm growing fond of Sanderson after Way of Kings.)

6. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

Joshua Palmatier's Throne of Amenkor trilogy fits, starting with The Skewed Throne. I haven't read the last in the trilogy yet, but the first two were pretty good reads.

7. Paul the Human

Paul the Human New Member

I'll second the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Not only does it fit your criteria perfectly, but it is also a fantastic read. Highly recommended.

8. Jon Sprunk

Jon Sprunk Book of the Black Earth

There's The Paladin (CJ Cherryh) about a male swordsman who takes a woman as his apprentice. Has an asian setting, if I remember correctly.

9. Mostlyharmless

Mostlyharmless Registered User

10. Jon Sprunk

Jon Sprunk Book of the Black Earth

11. Mekrath

Mekrath Registered User

The Hunger Games would loosely qualify.

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It's sci-fi, not fantasy ;) But yeah, it would loosely qualify, though I would say Katniss is more a pawn than a student/apprentice.

13. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

Wow, I was going to add that also. I had no idea it was that well known. I thought it was rather obscure. It fits the OP's criteria perfectly.

I read it numerous years ago and recall that I enjoyed it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  14. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

The series The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher includes this element, with a female magician apprenticed to the title character, but that aspect isn't introduced until the 8th book in the series and doesn't substantially begin until Book 9.

15. rurounigirl

rurounigirl New Member

You guys are all amazing! Thank you so much. I came home with The Paladin, Sanderson's books, and Jim Butcher's first book, after some shopping. I was unable to find the other books recommended here.

I have read the Hunger Games and enjoyed it. I'm not sure how I felt about the latter two books in the trilogy though. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm okay with sci-fi recommendations. It's just that if you look at my massive bookshelf you will only see about 2% sci-fi novels there (Dune and Enders Game.) lol

I wish I could have found Sentinel's Mage and Skewed Throne! They sound so intriguing. I'll probably order them online.

Once again thank you all for your help!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  16. Twinner

Twinner Registered User

It will likely never exist, but I would love to read a novel about two characters from Abercrombie's, "Best Served Cold". The master poisoner Morveer and his young female apprentice Day. For some reason the two of them were a really great part of that novel for me. More of their background together would be of interest to me and I really enjoyed that parts of the novel that dealt with them.

17. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

Kushiel's Dart.

18. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Registered User

Start Mistborn now. Go grab it off the shelf. It is the book you are looking for.

19. rurounigirl

rurounigirl New Member

I just started it the other day and blazed through part one in less than a day because I couldn't put it down. It's unbelievably amazing. Kelsier is also starting to become one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. I'm also in love with Brandon Sanderson's work! I think after I finish the Mistborn trilogy I need to hit up Elantris and Way of Kinds asap.

20. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

I enjoyed all the ideas flying around in Elantris. However, it does show the signs of being a first novel -- so keep that in mind.