Sex as usual (yawn)

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by sifutofu, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Um, other countries don't have Western attitudes. Due to our history of being beaten-over-the-head with Abrahamic religions (same goes for the Middle-East and other Islamic countries here), we as a society believe in misogyny, fear-of-the-different and male superiority.

What you saw was "filth", what women may have seen is a protest against the Western 'need' to cover up the female form.

2. kshRox

kshRox Registered User

I'm always a little mystified when women in this country start talking about paternalism and oppression. Perhaps 100 years ago, or even 50, but since the 60's?

I'm a single father and find the number of programs, support groups and even businesses that cater to single mothers is interesting compared to how little support there is for single fathers. I also think it is interesting how aggressively our society follows an "end justifies the means" philosophy regarding mens rights justified by the idea of "protecting women and children".

I'm all for protecting women and children, I have teenage daughters. But there is a knee-jerk activist mentality here that is out of proportion and imho does more harm than good removing children from the influence and protection of their natural fathers.

Do you realize based upon nothing more than an accusation a man can be put in jail, removed from his house, have his income and property confiscated and be denied access to his children? Again, this is in American and based upon nothing more than an unsubstantiated accusation.

Family courts are the only courts that have the authority to bypass due process and it happens routinely.

There are a few groups out there like Fathers 4 Justice who take on these types of issues pertaining to mens rights.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Ergo a man, therefore you are kind of automatically privileged in many ways in society.

I'm not of the belief that men have it worse than women in most cases, as they don't. I do, however, fully agree that there are cases and situations - particularly involving children - where men do get the short end of the stick. But those situations? They're not as prolific or embedded into society as a lot of the ways women are oppressed.

Put it this way. Women are told day-in and day-out that they have to look a certain way, dress a certain way, behave a certain way. If they're raped and/or abused they're often not taken seriously (this is also one of the few times men have it even worse than women, sadly). Women often find it harder to progress though companies due to a very male-oriented culture, and in some jobs they're not taken seriously.

I don't think we're at the level it was in the past, but to suggest we have an equal society or one that's becoming unfair in the other direction is kinda, um... missing a lot of what's going on.

4. sifutofu

sifutofu Banned

The USA has laws...

The USA has laws against creating public distractions, such as billboards which sport some eye-catching moving parts, such as an actual wagging tail on a dog which advertises dogfood. Flashing lights, and, until recently, vehicles adorned with stickers which adhere so well as to appear as paint, etc., are all forbidden, because this advertising is in full view of people operating heavy machinery such as cars, earth-moving equipment, public surveillance equipment, etc. , and can be distracting. So now we're supposed to allow people to let it all hang out, endangering the public at large, just so they can exercise their rights. Quite irresponsible, self-centered, and childish, not to mention downright nasty, as in the restaurant scenario. Some of the most horrific fist-fights, where a weapon or weapons may be incorporated endangering innocent bystanders, are between a jealous boyfriend or husband who has accused someone of looking at his woman. Were she nude, even just topless, you can see the calamity which might result, just so a woman may childishly and irresponsibly exercise her right to do so.
    I never used the word, "filth". But the human body does appear to be an ungainly thing when nude and in motion, such as a woman running in a bikini, or a nude guy playing volleyball (no pun intended) on the beach. With all that flopping around, he could sustain a serious injury. That's why we have jock-straps (Er, CLOTHES, in other words...) Animals, such as those of the canine family, are sleek and designed to be "nude". Their very symmetry allows them to dart through thick underbrush, without the worry of having any part of their body sustaining injury, etc. A dog running through the woods is like an envelope slipping through the slot of your mailbox. However, a HUMAN trying to slip through the woods is like a postPERSON trying to cram an envelope into a mailbox slot, held FLAT against it. It just wouldn't happen, now would it. BECAUSE IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.