Sf flash fiction contest - interesting?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Andrew Leon Hudson, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Andrew Leon Hudson

Andrew Leon Hudson sf-icionado / horror-ator

I recently found my way to an online magazine called io9, and they appear to be running an unusual flash fiction contest at the moment. A fortnight ago they posted two images as the prompt for an 800 word flashfic challenge. Five stories (apparently from around 200 submissions) have been chosen to go to a public vote; the winning story will then form the basis for the next round alongside two new images; then the process repeats, I don't know how many times.

The artwork is obviously pro stuff, from an outfit called Framestore; I can't speak for the stories yet, but I'm about to read them and vote. And, assuming the final five don't turn out to be garbage (the theme is space opera, which can be a mixed bag) I'm probably going to take part too. Why not?

2. Andrew Leon Hudson

I really should have read them first... well, one was fine but the other four didn't do it for me to a greater or lesser extent. Mostly greater, in the sense of seriously lesser. I guess my interest depends on the vote, which from my point of view is currently in the one good story's favour.

3. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

I saw that when it was first announced and it reminded me of all the countless efforts on this and other forums to crowd-source a story. It can work, but often it seems to fall short. I wish them (and you if you participate) the best of luck with it. :)

4. Andrew Leon Hudson

And, reading between the lines... ;)

5. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

...yeah. I'd stick to the flash comps here mate :)