SF series that most closely resembles Mass Effect?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by INeedAUserName, Dec 5, 2012.

1. INeedAUserName

INeedAUserName Registered User

I know, a slightly strange request. But I couldn't think of a better comparison than the game series, as to the type of series I'm looking for.

Basically, any recommendations for a sci-fi (or perhaps Mass Effect is more space opera?) series that involves exploration, some action -- whether it be ground-based or space battles -- and includes following a heroic figure or figures as they try and defend humanity against an impending evil.

Ironically, the actual novels in the ME universe aren't what I'm looking for, as they don't really contain the same interesting things the game has.

2. hawkeyye

hawkeyye Registered User

Peter F. Hamilton's Nights Dawn series.

3. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Peter F. Hamilton's work, definitely. Mass Effect draws inspiration from quite a few sources, most of them from TV (there are elements of Farscape, Deep Space Nine, Blake's 7, the new Battlestar Galactica and, most prominently, Babylon 5 in the ME universe), but I'd say that Hamilton is probably the closest overall to them. Fred Saberhagen's Beserker series does have a few of the same tropes, however.

4. INeedAUserName

Thanks. Looks like that's the series I'll pick up after I'm done with Abercrombie's stuff.

5. Charles.Dunphey

Charles.Dunphey Charles.Dunphey

I've heard the EVE series is pretty good. It's based on the online game series. Idk if that helps at all. Ha

6. INeedAUserName

Finished reading the Reality Dysfunction. Overall, it was a fun read. Despite being over 1000 pages, it didn't seem to take long to finish.

A couple of minor issues with the book:

1-Sex was a bit too ... overt. I'm not against sex scenes in novels, or even over the top, graphic descriptions of them. But these ones seemed almost ... silly in that two characters would just meet, then two pages later they're rolling around naked. It just seemed like every single character was a sex addict and had to sleep with any person they talked to.

2-Did they even hire anyone to edit this book? Dear God, there were so errors in this book it was like the author's 8 year old child proofread it. Between typos to spelling errors to bad sentence structure, it detracted from the flow of the novel.

Overall, I enjoyed the premise, the characters, and the action/story. Looking forward to the second book in the series. Hopefully they made enough from sales of the first novel to actually hire an editor this time around. ;)

7. Isaac Law

Isaac Law Registered User

Some works by A. E. van Vogt have similar things. Aliens, Hyperspace Travel, Galactic Warriors and so on. If I'm not mistaking.

8. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The book is set 600 years in the future, and Hamilton's assumption is that sex is simply much less of a taboo and big deal than it is now. That said, there's a lot less in the next two books as there's not much time for it whilst the universe is going to hell :)

Interesting. The UK edition is pretty much flawless, but the American editions I think are more problematic. The recent one-volume editions (the original US publication was in six volumes rather than three for some reason) had the type reset, IIRC, which introduced new errors to the books.

Hamilton is now the biggest-selling SF author in the UK and one of the biggest in the world, so the money wasn't the issue :)

9. Cbrons

Cbrons Registered User

I almost fell out of my chair when i read this thread title. I wanted to find a series like ME and that is why i googled "science fiction forums." amazing.

Why is it that videogames have the best stories? Mass effect had me so enraptured by the different alien races, the citadel, the mass relay, the ancient alien history w/ the protheans, etc. Just amazing, really

http://io9.com/5886178/why-mass-eff...nt-science-fiction-universe-of-our-generation

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  10. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

11. Cbrons

Cbrons Registered User

12. Todd O'Rourke

Todd O'Rourke Registered User

I read the first book, Mass Effect: Revelations, and although it wasn't horrible, it certainly wasn't good either. You would think that a game that is known for its storytelling would be able to produce an actual tie-in that resembled the story in the game, or something that could compete with the in game story.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. Cbrons

Cbrons Registered User

Anyone have any recommendations based on those books in that list?

14. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

They don't. Mass Effect is good, but it's built on the format laid out by many, many SF novels, TV shows and computer games that came before it. The io9 article is good, but it completely misses the fact that Mass Effect is the only notable new space opera setting and series of the last ten years: BSG and StarGate Atlantis/Universe (not to mention the Star Trek movies and the new Doctor Who) were all based on pre-existing properties. So of course Mass Effect is the best new space opera franchise of the last generation when it's the only one :)

The list is a bit useless because it's just a list of space opera SF novels, nothing really related specifically to ME at all.

That said, you can't go wrong with David Brin's Uplift Saga (start with Startide Rising, not Sundiver, which is a bit rubbish). And Peter F. Hamilton should be right at the top of the list for The Night's Dawn Trilogy.

15. Cbrons

Cbrons Registered User

Ty for the recs. i started reading the star force series by BV Larson. Very fast paced with not a lot of character dev but its very entertaining and even has mass effect relays, the equivalent of the geth and the protheans.

16. Todd O'Rourke

Todd O'Rourke Registered User

Although it doesn't exactly resemble Mass Effect, the Culture series has certain aspects in common with Mass Effect. The first book Consider Phelbas follows a mercenary group that goes out and attempts to secure a rouge Mind (a sentient ship) and bring it back to his employers before a rival civilization can capture the ship.

The second book, The Player of Games doesn't really share anything with Mass Effect.

The third book, Use of Weapons, so far, does. I'm not finished with this book yet, but so far there are some similarities, such as: planetary warfare, mercenaries, assassins, alien cultures, and spaceships that take on a pivotal role to the story (i.e. Normandy).

I'm not sure if the Culture series has exactly what you are looking for, but there are several concepts that carry over between both M.E. and Culture.

I will update once I finish the third novel and let you know of any more similarities.

Edit:
    I finished Use of Weapons, and although it was good, I retract my statement saying that it resembles M.E. in anyway. Yes, there are a few minor similarities, but not enough of what the OP was indicating that he was looking for. It is still worth a read, but not with the intentions of finding Mass Effect similarities.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  17. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

One cross-over is the use of ultra-powerful AIs, though the Minds in Culture are far more benevolent than the Reapers of Mass Effect.

18. robfredricks

robfredricks Registered User

19. qwsedd

qwsedd New Member

It kept me hooked. Not treading any new grounds or new ideas but expanding some characters backstory. It was detailed enough. I found it quite exiting actually. Something was happening all the time. The same goes for all 4 books. I do like that kind of reading.

20. CassiusVale

CassiusVale New Member

You can try the "Uplift Saga" by David Brin. Isn't exactly the same, but the whole idea of lifting a less advanced species into a galactic civilization one that is present throughout the Mass Effect Trilogy. (With the Krogan especially).