SFFworldia: world building project - The absolute basics.

Discussion in 'Collaborative Stories' started by Andols, Aug 9, 2010.

1. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

This assumes that that evolution is a factor when it comes to intelligent creatures, which isn't the case in DnD worlds. There are various gods and they make various races to worship them and spread their beliefs. Thus humans are highly sociable, ordered, and prone to commerce, banking, agriculture, and urban build up because Erathis, goddess of civilization, decided she wanted a race that upheld her ideals. Orcs live in the harsh wilderness and frequently raid and enslave everyone around them because the savage god Gruumsh wanted a race that embodied his belief that strength comes from surviving and thriving through constant, bare knuckles conflict.

There are lots of different gods, many of whom want their own race, not to mention magical mishaps, corruption from the Far Realms, interbreeding, celestial and demonic meddling, and the influence of various other planes of existence.

Now, that might be too high fantasy for some, but it’d fairly well explained.

A constructed language. It’s okay, I know hardly anyone will use it, but I’ll start work on one anyway. If nothing else, it might make it into a few words or phrases.

2. goldhawk

goldhawk aurea plectro

Simple, the planet is one settled by Earth about 1 million years ago when modifying your own genes was common. Since then the technique has become lost but the descendants of those genemods (or genies, if you prefer) live on.

3. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

Speaking of gods, do we want them as an actual manifest presence in the world? Or as diving beings who act through intermediaries (clerics, priests, etc)? Or aloof and uninvolved? Or all three? :)

4. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

If gods exists, I don't think they'd be uniform in their habits unless there’s specific godly law about how they can interact with mortals.

5. Andols

Andols I like stories

I vote no actual god presence (malazan style) but if they communicate to their worshippers i wont complain.

6. mylinar

mylinar Registered User

I like this idea also. By the gods communicating we express a common fantasy element but we do not bring in anything out of proportion to the inhabitants and their own inherent powers. It is difficult to do 'Gods' well. Plus we are just starting out and have a lot of things to work out yet.

7. DailyRich

I wouldn't have a problem with gods appearing as less-powerful avatars, sort of like how Paladine appeared as Fizban in the Dragonlance books.

8. Hereford Eye

Hereford Eye Just Another Philistine

The State of the Art

Magic:
    My only expectation is that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Magic without cost does not appeal to me.

Ethnology:
    I am assuming we get to have the standard mixtures from black to brown to white and everything in between. Other additions are a don't care to me.

Theology:
    Haven't read the Paladine books so I have no opinion there. Eddings got away them for a long time as did Chalker. I'm ambivalent.

Flora and Fauna:
    I'm on the side of the recognizable though an occasional foray into something magical ought to make sense.

GeologySociology
    My idea would fit into Sparrow's.

9. DailyRich

I've long toyed around with the idea of magic being an element like air or water. A friend of mine and I once discussed a fantasy role-playing version of our world where the reason for colonizing the New World was that the level of magic in the Old World was waning, and the New World was this vast, untapped land brimming with magical hot spots. Sort of a magic rush to mirror the gold rush. Of course, the indigenous peoples of the New World, who had long ago learned how to use the magic of the land in balance, didn't take too kindly to all these pale-skinned strangers sucking down the magic like it was nothing, and this formed the basis for much of the planned conflict in the game.

10. Expendable

Expendable infomaniac

Think of spellbooks being more like a cookbook. You can do simple spells off the top of your head, just like you're making your favorite sandwich. Or anything you do often enough, like healing or confuse. But what if you want to do something different you haven't tried before or in a very long time? You can try to reinvent the wheel or you'd write it down someplace so when you need to know how to do something, you can look it up. Sure, you can keep a lot in your head, but even doctors and lawyers hit the books for the complicated stuff.

Or if we're doing the apprenticeship thing, then you may have copied the spell but maybe it was beyond you then. Now that you've studied, you may finally understand how to cast that spell - or not.

Simple magics should draw their energy from you. But unless you've got some incredible internal reservor, you'll need to tap into something else for the powerful spells - either a group of people willing to join themselves into a battery that you can draw from, elemental forces, sacrificial magic, ley lines or mana wells.

11. Andols

Andols I like stories

I would prefer magic "power" being drawn from internal energy and exponential growth through chains of people is fine by me also. Spellbooks containing instructions to "cast" makes sense. Drawing power from elemental forces would sort of fall in the same metaphysics, at least to me.

12. Andols

Andols I like stories

13. Sparrow

Sparrow Banned

Is there any chance we could break from the supernatural kind of "Magic" that's found in most fantasy worlds and have it closer to the real meaning of magic, that is most of it would simply be illusion. Have a system of magic based on things like alchemy/apothecary and whatnot. It would be a much more grittier world where wielding science and secret knowledge is equal to wielding a sword.

Just to add to that thought... instead of fantastic beasts seemingly conjured from nowhere, what if wizards in this world had an understanding of genetics and bioengineering... crossbreeding animals, creating hybrids, even human monstrosities?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  14. Andols

Andols I like stories

You are hereby appointed head of the alchemical/steampunk society.

I think we need both to be honest.

15. Andols

Andols I like stories

And you dotn need to ask if there's a chance of anything really. We'll go with majority vote on pretty much all aspects, and try to incorporate as much as possible within reason.

16. Andols

Andols I like stories

Sparrow, the more I think about your alchemy/steampunk system the more i think it should be limited to one group/guild/culture.

They could perhaps set up smaller chapters in other areas of the world to sell, trade or work towards some other agenda not yet defined. Maybe they have some time of very stiff requirements in order to join them.

17. Sparrow

Sparrow Banned

Not really into Steampunk so much.
    I consider Steampunk more of a fashion movement than anything else... too many needless pressure valves, brass fittings, and exposed gears for my liking. :)

18. Andols

Andols I like stories

so somewhere between alchemists and the fantasy equivelent of genetisists?

19. Sparrow

Sparrow Banned

Just wizards and sorcerers using science and nature for magical effect.
    Really nothing more than secret knowledge kept away from the masses, in order to sway the masses. Sort of the equivalent of our Free Masons in days gone by.

20. bobnagga

bobnagga Registered User

Okay, so I'm new here. I totally want in, but I have a few questions...

About the system of magic in the world, What have we come up with? Is it sort of an elemental system? Is it physical (I.E. I want a fireball, so I'll isolate several parts hydrogen to twice as much oxygen, raise temperature and watch...)

Would scientific knowledge be a base for magical understanding, and would new scientific discoveries bolster people's magic?

And Are we going with Everybody and his dog can do magic? I can see the concept of a school that will teach anybody that can pay, but no limits on genaeology in magic... Okay... Maybe certain lines have evolved more power over the thousands of years of history, and these 'lines' could be spread far and wide with many offspring in each generation that jus makes each successive branch of the tree wider and wider?

Maybe some lines have even died out (Or so the world thinks until some powerful mage nobody knows appears....)

What sorts of limitations are we putting on our magic? Do we need the mental crutches? If our understanding of nature is great enough, could we concievaby do anything? How about an infinitely dense point from which not even light can escape? Teleportation? Flying? killing masses with our minds? summoning forth demons?

I know a bunch of you have read Goodkind's books... What about the ability to cause matter to cease to exist? It seems to me that such a thing would cause the universe to implode on that spot... Creating things from nothing? Creating things from other things?

What about genetic manipulation? It would seem that anybody with any significant magical powers about to go to war with somebody else with great power would want to find a way to boost their magical power...

So we're talking about magic here, what about other things? Zombies? We'rewolves? Freakin monsters?

I know you just said you weren't into a bunch of races, but indigenous creatures? Say the world was just a really dangerous place to live and we developed magic as a survival mechanism?

I mean, bears and lions and stuff, cool, but what about banshees and hauntings and sprites and medusas and such?

And what of the development of magic? Is it an evolutionary response? If it is, what would stop any other species from adapting to it to either nullify its effects or use some of its own?

Is it a gift from the gods? If it is, what's to stop them from giving it to any other creatures? Are we special or something? We're here to be fruitful and multiply?

I don't like gods, myself. It takes the focus off the person who should be doing the magic... It makes it seem like "My god loves me more than your god loves you!" If it's gods doing the warring, why isn't everyone a god? Just cut out humans and make everyone a part of a giant pantheon.

That ought to be interesting.

And what of spells? Is this like a ceremonial magick type of setting, or are we allowed instant results without chantng and posturing and costumes and athames and ashes of young boys?

Just some things to think about...