Shadow Ops: Control Point

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by hippokrene, Feb 1, 2012.

1. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

[​IMG]

Has anyone else got an ARC and read it? Want to share your thoughts?

Military + urban fantasy is an unusual combination, but one I can get into. Cole is a debut author as well and those are always fun.

Oscar Britton, the hero, is a black man, which is nice in a genre that tends to skew toward white women dating sexy vampires/werewolves.

Whatever had a Big Idea with the author of this book.

Sffworld has an interview with the author, and Rob has done a review of the book.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

It's very good. I read in back in like October and have been raving about it ever since. I can't believe they only released in MMPB. I think it's got big hit written all over it.

3. Tim Marquitz

Tim Marquitz Registered User

I caved to peer pressure and picked this up yesterday. Having only read the first few pages, it's clear that Cole has a pretty slick style. He draws the reader in quick. That's a good sign.

As soon as I finish the last little bit of Kadrey's, Aloha from Hell, I'll start Control Point in earnest.

4. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

reading it now. So far, it's excellent. This is getting a lot of buzz and it should. I agree with Justin that it'll probably be a big hit.

5. JustaStaffer

I feel more confident in saying that if it were in TPB or HC. The way brick and mortar stores display work really puts MMPBs at a disadvantage. But, maybe the on-line retailers make up that difference.

6. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

I'm not sure that I agree with that reasoning. It's been pretty well shown that mmpb sell better than tpb and hc due to their lower price and the preference of many readers to have a small book. And I've seen plenty of displays in stores that are based on mmpb (I don't know if Ace is paying the stores to market this book in such a way or not). It's just harder for publishers for books to earn out with the low price tag. I think that a lot of mmpb only releases have shown that it's a perferctly easy way to get things moving - see Brent Weeks, Naomi Novik, etc.

edit: also, my understanding is that bookstores are also more likely to order more copies due to the lesser investment on their part - which means more total book sales, if less money earned.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. JustaStaffer

That makes sense. And again with on-line retailers and eBooks, maybe neither perspective means anything. At the end of the day many buyers will buy without ever seeing it beforehand.

Also, I think Weeks's release schedule had a ton do with the success of the Night Angel. MMPB, but with immediate massive shelf presence.

8. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

This.

The same can be said for Naomi Novik, and lots of other recent series. Pyr's been employing such a schedule with the US reissues of Mark Chadbourn's novels, Orbit does it very often with their trilogies.

As to Shadow OPS: Control Point, I've already tagged it in goodreads as a best of 2012 novel for me, I doubt that status will change in December. Here's an interesting post from Myke Cole's agent.

9. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

The hype got to me. I have it on order. Look forward to reading it.

10. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Same here. :D

Even though I probably won't get to it for awhile.

11. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

I thought it was well done, very entertaining. Should have broad appeal and do very well.

I read four debuts last year and they were all good. Some had really excellent writing and a powerful, engaging story, but for pure FUN without sacrificing depth to the point where I lose interest, this was the one. It's a good balancing trick. Won't work for everyone, but it'll work for plenty.

12. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

I really enjoyed Control Point. The magic is just really cool and well utilized and it's seriously impossible to stop reading. I'm sure it will stay in my top debuts list as well.

13. Luke_B

Luke_B Moderator Staff Member

Anybody know if this is getting a UK/Commonweath release?

14. JustaStaffer

It is, but may be a little while. He just sold the rights a few weeks ago.

15. Luke_B

Thanks, Justin. Out of interest, do you know who bought the rights?

16. JustaStaffer

I do. Let me try to remember... Headline I believe. AKA: Hachette Imprint Not Named Orbit

17. TooNice

TooNice Banned

I heard about this from a site I found through Joe Abercrombie's blog and was sold on the concept alone, I'll definitely get it when it comes out over here. Really excited now after hearing all the positive feedback.

18. Luke_B

That's ... weird. I would have thought one of the big genre publishers would have snaffled it.

19. JustaStaffer

I think the argument is they view it as something that can be sold to more traditional readers as well. It's modern day, not SF and not heroic fantasy. Headline does a lot of thrillers. A slightly odd fit, but not unlike Mulholland or Doubleday here in the US who will occasionally publish titles they feel have crossover.

20. Luke_B

It's very different to how it's being published in the US - published by Ace, a core genre publisher, and with a cover that screams at genre readers with very little crossover appeal.