Shadows of the Apt

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by PeterWilliam, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Arkeus

Arkeus Registered User

So, i am now reading Dragonfly falling... and i must say, Totho is breaking my heart.

2. assasin

assasin Registered User

does anyone wonder if there are any kinden underground. looking at the other places you could find them [the sea watch], one wonders where the earthworm kinden are.

also, in the cities of the nem, whipspider kinden?

3. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

There's the giant Mole Cricket kinden, with their ability tu dissolve stone

4. assasin

assasin Registered User

they still live on the surface though.

5. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

the last book (#10 written but tbp 2014 only) is called Seal of the Worm (or such), so I guess we will find out by then...

6. tpetty

tpetty The Doctor is in.

Can anyone clear up the size/availability for me? I've got the trade paperback (9x6" = 23x15 cm) editions of the first five books.

It looks like I can get a similar size book from Amazon Canada for books 7&8. This is pretty pricey (over $20 a book with shipping to the US) for paperbacks.

I can't find book 6 - Sea Watch, in anything but small, mass market size.

Questions:

1. Was book six ever published in the 9x6" format? If so, anyone know who is carrying it?

2. Amazon US lists books 7&8 as published -- but doesn't actually carry them. Is the US release date later, or why are these so hard to find?

7. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

Not sure if it is the right size, math being my downfall, but book depository has The Sea Watch on sale for $11.12+ free shipping. Here are the dimensions:

Format: Paperback
    Number of pages: 480
    Width: 111 mm
    Height: 178 mm
    Thickness: 48 mm
    Weight: 386 g

Good luck, I know what it is like to complete a collection.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Pyr stopped publishing the books after the fifth. Six, Seven and Eight have not had US releases, and instead you're looking at the UK editions, which were published by Tor UK.

9. tpetty

tpetty The Doctor is in.

Anyone know if US release is planned? By who, and size if known?

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I genuinely have no idea. The series has been a bit of a mess as of late. Pyr appeared to stop after the fifth and Tor UK changed format with the seventh or eighth book, and then reissued the previous books in a different format.

I'll see if I can find anything out, though.

11. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

in a comment on his blog in the last few months, Mr. Tchaikovsky noted that US rights were still not sold as of then; the trouble as always is that once a series has a publisher that drops it, further volumes are very, very unlikely to be picked up by another publisher until the rights revert and that publisher can pick all volumes up, so if Pyr does not continue the series, there is a chance volumes 6-10 won't be published in the US until the US rights to 1-5 revert and a publisher can reissue all 10 volumes at once

Of course there are exceptions - if a series takes off for example, a bigger publisher may take on further volumes as Joe Abercrombie was originally published in the US by Pyr and then when the First law took off, Hachette kept the rights in-house, with Gollancz as before in the UK and Orbit in the US (note that in the UK Hachette has 2 sff imprints, Gollancz, senior, and orbit UK, junior,, but in the US it has Orbit, main, and Grand Central which publishes some sff towards the literary end, so many big sff titles have a Gollancz/UK, Orbit/US release)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Ah, fair enough.