Silence of the Lambs

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Kenneth2, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Kenneth2

Kenneth2 Published Novelist

Is Silence of the Lambs horror? I consider it to be, but my friends all say no.

But think about it -- Hannibal Lecter mutilates people and is ultimately creepy. The creepy transsexual was also something that should be considered. I've seen the movie like 5 times and it still gives me nightmares.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

We had this discussion not long ago.

General consensus is "Yes".

But really, can we not say "creepy transsexual"? Please? I know those of us who consider ourselves to be trans can be a little weird, but I don't think we're particularly a trope of horror stories ;) Plus it implies things I don't think you quite meant.

3. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Indeed we did, started by none other than Kenneth2 himself. Well, a similar enough discussion:

Hannibal Lecter

4. Kenneth2

Oh, I completely forgot. Feel free to delete this thread then.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that transsexuals are creepy. I was saying that the one in Silence was creepy, but not all transsexuals are like that.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Just be careful with how you say things, that's all. I'd argue "the character who wanted to make a suit of skin" would be a better description *winky face, dangit*

6. Slack Bladder

Slack Bladder Lost in translation

I agree that Silence of the Lambs is a horror novel. It's a terrific novel. However, from memory, the book does take care to point out that the Buffalo Bill character is not a true transsexual and was, in fact, deemed not suitable for surgery. As far as I can remember, the book does go on to say that most transsexuals are non-violent, peaceful individuals. On the other hand it would be nice to read a horror novel/thriller where a transgendered character is actually sympathetic and either a murder victim or a demented killer. Ho hum.

7. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Did you mean, "and [not] either a murder victim or a demented killer"?

If so, see The Drowning Girl by Caitlin Kiernan; one of the main characters is transgendered, and the novel is either horror or dark fantasy, depending on ... well, probably on the mood you're in at the time you read it. The Red Tree leans more toward horror; this one has a slightly softer feel.

Randy M.

8. Slack Bladder

Slack Bladder Lost in translation

Yes, that's what I meant. That'll teach me to post without proofreading!

Thanks for the recommendation of Red Hill. I've also just remembered that Poppy Z Brite's Crow novel has a positive transgendered character.

9. Kenneth2

There was an episode of the Mentalist where a transgendered man is neither murdered or a killer. However, he is presumed to be dead until the end of the episode.