Society with wings

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Nechasin, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Nechasin

Nechasin New Member

I was recently playing a game called Glyder2 on my HP Touchpad and was reminded of a book that I read when I was in Junior High in the Mid 80's. It was about a group of people that flew with wings similar to a hang glider. I specifically remember them talking about riding thermals. I believe the main character went on a trip for some reason. The only thing I have been able to find online is about Windhaven. this is not the book that I remember.

2. mylinar

mylinar Registered User

There was a section of the one of the Mars trilogy books by Kim Stanley Robinson where the characters did this. I can't imagine that was it though because it would have been hard to forget Mars being the main focus of the story.

3. Nechasin

Nechasin New Member

It is not the Mars series Kim Stanley Robinson. It might be classified as a Fantasy book instead of Scifi. Should I cross post to that forum section or is that frowned upon?

4. Pennarin

Pennarin Registered User

Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix is a one-book collection of short stories and novellas that has a mechanical hanglider on the cover and talks about it in the initial story. The first story in the lot is set in a cylindrical space habitat with low centrigugal gravity where powered flight is possible. There is lots of travelling in those stories.

5. ivanj

ivanj Registered User

Try 'The Storms of Windhaven' by Lisa Tuttle and George R R Martin.

6. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Monthâ„¢

;) ..........

7. Triffid

Triffid Registered User

The Years of the City by Frederick Pohl perhaps?

8. spidre409

spidre409 New Member

Short Story

Heinlein wrote a short story called "The Menace from Earth" where they fly with strap on wings in a dome on the moon.

Also Building Harlequin's Moon (Niven/Cooper) has characters that fly with similar contraptions

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  9. Teela Brown

Teela Brown I'm lucky.

I was going to suggest Niven's The Integral Trees but I don't think that's the one you're looking for.

10. Aldroud

Aldroud Registered User

Could it be 'The Unwound Way'?

11. tedstriker

tedstriker Registered User

Terry Carr's "The Winds at Starmont" is about two human sportsmen who visit an alien planet dominated by an umpteen-mile-tall volcano. The native inhabitants of the planet have wings. The two men wear artificial wing suits, and with a native guide they attempt to fly to the top of Starmont, a task which is considered impossible to complete.