SoT - Legend of the Seeker

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Sidmyster, Aug 24, 2010.

1. nquixote

nquixote trolling > dissertation

You just lack the right perspective for true Haterism, Andols! The key is to get pissed at how the popularity of the books exceeds their quality...we Haters aren't pissed at crappy books, we're pissed that crappy books sell 10 million copies while good books languish in obscurity!

Perhaps we could write a Hate Equation:

Hate = -k*popularity/quality ; popularity>0, quality<0

where k is a positive constant, and popularity and quality are mean 0 across the entire set of books.

:D

2. Andols

Andols I like stories

wow funniest formula i've seen in awhile.

AND, you haters are assuming those folks reading SoT would enjoy your "good books" more than their current readings which may not always be the case.

SoT is readable for a variety of reasons, at the very least it will make other books seem better :)

3. nquixote

Actually, I'm not assuming that. It's more fun to think that SoT fans are just sucky suckheads. :D

4. Sidmyster

Sidmyster Registered User

can someone tell me why they didnt like the first book?
    none others tho im only on the second.

5. nquixote

Pointless graphic depictions of sexual torture

Poor writing with weak characters

6. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Magical removal of testicles.

The 'hero' punishing an eight-year-old child who says nasty things by removing a significant portion of her face with his boots.

The book's odd preoccupation with vines at the start of the book.

A cliff-face being simultaneously 'sheer' and also having a large path running along it.

The principle bad guys having their names lifted simultaneously from Terry Brooks and George Lucas.

Many other elements, expanded on in this superb review.

The series definitely falls into the 'so bad it's good' category. Some of the stuff Goodkind pulls (mostly in the later books) is hernia-inducingly hilarious in their awfulness.

7. Many other elements, expanded on in this superb review.

I read the review, and it's hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

I have been afraid to try any of the books because of the things I have heard about them. I've seen a few episodes of the tv show, and just that alone was too much for me to handle. LOL

Although I did like Kahlan. :)

8. teahupoo

teahupoo Supercalifragilistic

What makes Sword of Truth bad?

1. He kills off or cripples all your favorite characters in the first book.

2. Graphic depictions of rape and incest.

3. 8 year old girl trains and becomes a ninja by running around on her tippy toes and chasing cats.

4 16 year old boy becomes the best war strategist and general alive, with zero experience.

5. 16 year old run away, naive, virgin princes, becomes a sultry super sex wife to some 12 ft' horse demon.

6. 16 year old virgin, sultry, sex princess gives birth to her baby dragons and takes over the continent that she fled to.

7. A witty dwarf. <-- i actually like him

8. The book's odd preoccupation with winter and cold.

9. The whole story being a complete rip-off from war of the roses.

10. Total and complete lack of a hero. There were a couple possibilities, but they're all dead now. Seriously, who is the hero?

Wait, I might be thinking of a different book.

9. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

Andolis, would you be kind enough to name a few "mid tier" fantasy writers that Goodkind is superior to?

teahupoo, you are hilarious. Although, not for the reasons you think, I fear ^_^

10. kirk

kirk Registered User

So you just picked a random thread to bash ASOIAF? I must admit though, a remarkable troll attempt. A whole 10 point list with a sentence before and after. Is it as much fun as you thought it was going to be? ;)

11. kirk

kirk Registered User

Don't know about the mid tier part, but Sanderson to Goodkind is like Spiderman comics to Gene Wolfe. :D:D:D
    But, no really, there's not a whole lot of fantasy that's much worse than that.:cool:

12. nquixote

I have GOT to get me this book.

13. teahupoo

teahupoo Supercalifragilistic

Sorry, I didn't know this was strictly a bash Sword of Truth thread . Is turnabout not fair play? But, since you pointed out it's just a "random thread" i apologize.

To be honest i like ASoIaF, I just think it's funny how people get down on Terry Goodkind because his "Fantasy" is too fantasy (I know Terry said he doesn't write fantasy) but, when i point out some fanciful things from everyone's favorite author you all get bent out of shape.

I am not a troll, I am just stating my opinion.

14. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

Uh, no, people get down on Terry Goodkind because he is retarded, pretentious, full of shit AND a terrible writer ^_^ At the same time, Martin has arguably the best characterisation and style in the entire genre, which KIND OF compensates for any lapses in logic your obviously keen eye has spotted.

15. Gizmo

Gizmo Registered User

The type of anti-goodkind fan that you clearly are, I really wouldn't be calling others pretentious.

@bolded: in your opinion.

16. Gizmo

Gizmo Registered User

You seem like one of those people who really denigrate Goodkind fans and immediately pigeonhole them as having 'bad taste' or being 'clueless'. I may be wrong, maybe you're just been playful. But those type of people generally tend to be quite sad.

17. Shayna

Shayna Greyscale

Look everybody...just enjoy the books and enjoy the show! They are both here to entertain us.

Different choices... isn't that why we love books?? To try a great variety of flavours!!:D

have fun reading!! Shayna

18. Andols

Andols I like stories

He's just being flippant. He thinks he's more flippant than I am but he's just to sucky to realize the level of suck he has obtained.

And to Roland, i'd lump Goodkind in with Modesitt, peirs anthony, david drake, Eddings, 1/2 of terry brooks, probably a few others im forgetting.

I'm not saying he's better than them but I do consider them to all belong in each others company in terms of their fantasy works.

19. Andols

Andols I like stories

all lies. people should like the books that i like or stop reading.

20. kirk

kirk Registered User

Aren't you doing the same thing? I firmly believe I can do both: think other people's tastes are awful and be a happy person. :p
    Also I don't think he was playful at all, that was said very seriously. :rolleyes: