Spammers, new posts bug

Discussion in 'sffworld.com comments, feedback...' started by Lurker8, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Lurker8

Lurker8 Registered User

Hi there

Long time reader and lurker :)

I see that we have a new board format. I also see a LOT of spammers jumping on board as well. On a similar message board I frequent, they have set it so that a person must have at least 10 posts in existing threads before they can make a new thread. This cut down a LOT on spam. Maybe that might work here too?

There also seems to be a bug with "new posts" - when I click it, it might show I have 5 pages of new post threads to look at. I click page 5 and it says no search. I hit the back button and new posts consolidates into 1 or 2 pages. I don't know why it keeps generating ghost pages. Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers,
    Lurker8

2. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

One of the reasons we upgraded was because we are under siege. The spambot have been attacking for over a month now. We will take your suggestion under consideration. Thanks for the pointer! :)

3. ian_sales

ian_sales Registered User

It's getting pretty difficult to find new messages for all the spam. Any idea when it will be dealt with?

4. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

Indeed, it's getting hard for me to do my clothes shopping with all these science fiction and fantasy posts getting in the way. :p

5. N. E. White

We are trying our best... :(

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  6. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Apologies all. We're in the hands of the owner who is working something out. Not sure when exactly it will be, but we hope as soon as possible.

For now, we clear the spam as soon as we notice it. Realise that with a global network the times will vary: depends on whose shift!
    But as tmso has said we have been a target for a few weeks now. The answer's not simple and it's trying to make sure we deal with it effectively without crashing the website. Understand your annoyance!

7. Mostlyharmless

Mostlyharmless Registered User

Since what spammers want is to get you to follow links, the critical thing is to stop new posters posting links. We do not want to stop people asking if anyone remembers a book for their first post but we do want to stop them posting a link to their website.

8. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

Mods, does it help if we mere mortals report spam, as and when, via the little alert triangle icon on the bottom of each post? or does this just add to the confusion?

9. Hobbit

Always happy to get a hint, JM: there can be the odd one we miss ourselves.

Usually it's more a case of who's on and when, but we try and get to them as soon as we can.

Thanks again for your understanding and patience.

M.

10. Mostlyharmless

11. Hobbit

Thanks, Mostly.

A lot of the Spammers we are now getting are the Human ones, sadly. Little else to do but kill the posts when we see them.

Have passed on your link to the owner, though.

12. Hobbit

Slight update: we've now added something called Typepad antispam, which will scan the first 10 posts people make for spam. Dag's also added more Human verification questions. And finally some settings have been changed so that people will not be able to post blog entries before they have posted 10 posts in the forum.

Work in progress, we realise, and there is more we have to do: but hopefully it will be a start.

13. Lurker8

Lurker8 Registered User

Well, it could be the time of day I am coming on, but I am seeing a lot less spam to wade through of late :)

14. Mostlyharmless

I have just seen an example of what may be a way of evading spam controls on another forum. The trick is to post an innocent question, wait for answers and then edit the initial post to add the spam link. I haven't seen an example here yet.

15. Hobbit

Thanks MH. We have had some try: often a discussion about shoes, randomly! But we are doing our best to keep an eye out. Appreciate the heads-up.

16. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

I would gladly pay a token one-off fee to gain 'posting privileges' on this and any other forum I frequent.

17. N. E. White

Really? I don't think I would. And I doubt many others would. I would donate, not sure I would pay a fee.

Do you mind explaining why you bring it up?

18. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

Just something that stuck in my head from another site (somethingawful, I think it was) which has, shall we say, a less mature fanbase than SFFWorld, and they have a $5 lifetime membership fee for the forum and it makes people think twice about posting things against the terms of service.

19. Hobbit

Thanks Zach, for the thought.

We did discuss this a few years ago, actually. If I remember it correctly, staff and the owner were quite keen to maintain the fact that the site was open for all, as a secure place to discuss all things genre. We quite liked the fact that our members range from 14 to 94, and felt that it was important to allow them a place for discussion. Like an open party, everyone's invited, although we reserve the right to send guests home if they become... worse for wear. :D