Steph Swainston anyone?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by flurgledurfel, Feb 11, 2010.

1. flurgledurfel

flurgledurfel The Snuggler

Hey everyone, first post... Love the site, been lurking at work for about 2 weeks and compiled a very nice "to read" list thanks to you guys... I figured I'd throw out a more obscure author for my first post.

Any Steph Swainston fans out there? My reading tastes normally gravitate towards male authors, but a couple years ago a Neil Gaiman blurb on the cover of Steph Swainston's "The Year of Our War" grabbed my eye, so I decided to give it a shot. Very, very original, gritty fantasy. I loved it. About to pick up the 3rd novel "Dangerous Offspring", but wish I'd waited b/c they've released "The Castle Omnibus". Anyways, just wondering if anyone else had read her work and what your impressions were...

2. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

I have no idea if there are other similar threads and we will get merged from here but I am a big time fan and hew new novel due at the end of the month Above the Snowline is an asap that i will get on publication

The main reason is Jant Shira's voice which I find very appealing and very entertaining, while her world-building has some great, great stuff (check The Hunt chapter in Dangerous Offspring that was reprinted in the New Weird anthology too for pure imagination)

Overall though I think that her trilogy which has a sort of ending though I would love more (Snowline is a prequel) is strongly voice-dependent

3. flurgledurfel

flurgledurfel The Snuggler

I agree that Jant's character, with his shady background and surly, irreverent attitude, really adds so much to the series. I loved how she described his drug addiction. The alternate world (The Shift) he was transported to when he got high was mind-bendingly creative. I can't remember the last fantasy novel I read where the main character was a hardcore (yet functional) junkie. Her writing has a definite Mieville flavor to it, but she definitely has her own style. But based upon all of the reviews I've read, you either love it or hate it. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

4. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

I enjoyed the first book and have the second. Cheers for reminding me about it, I might bump it up the review queue :)

5. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

I wasn't even familiar with her work previous to the post. :(

Her work sounds interesting and I have added it to my list of books to read. This site has tripled my list in the few months I have been here.

6. Psylent

Psylent Registered User

She's always disappointed me. Her writing, characters, and settings are original and interesting, but she never quite pulls her story off. Its good enough that I keep expecting her to blow my socks off but her books never quite manage to. I'll keep reading her because one of these days I expect she'll manage to hit a homerun.

7. Ash

Ash Registered User

Hit the nail on the head for me there Psylent.

I keep reading her books though, because at least they have some originality.

8. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

How ironic I just started the Castle Omnibus last night. Did not get very far as I am a bit under the weather but I liked what I got through last night. Has a lot of potential. Time will tell though. I did order her next book in the series. I just hope that I like the series at the end to continue with it.

9. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer Author of novels

10. roughscotsman

roughscotsman SaltheartBeerfollower

I found these very original when I read them. It was a nice change of scene for me. I kinda seen some of the characters as fantasy/super hero mixtures. I thought the whole thing with the shift was a nice touch too. I'm looking forward to the next one.

11. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

I just finished the first book in the Castle Omnibus The Year of Our War. This book just isn't for me. It was all over the place. A lot of great ideas that when woven together were either over my head or over the author's head, she was everywhere and nowhere at once. I had planned to read the entire omnibus but have decided to put it down and move on. Maybe someday I will get to the point were I can read it but at this point it just wasn't for me.

12. rune

rune Registered User

I've read all the books in this series so far. I really enjoyed book 1 & 2

The Year of Our War
    No Present Like Time

Brilliant ideas, loved the Jant character, feels really different :D

Book 3 - The Modern World - I thought the plot had lost it's way a bit. Not a patch on the previous books at all

Book 4 - Above the Snowline - This one delves into Jant's mothers people, and their traditions - a bit. I liked some aspects of this book, better than book 3 for definate. A little slow again though, not as tight or as interesting as the first two books

I do hope this author hasn't lost her focus

13. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

I eventually did get round to reading the second book, almost five years after reading the first :)

Book 1: The Year of Our War

Book 2: No Present Like Time