Stephen Kings The Dark Tower

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Meep, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Meep

Meep New Member

Newbie here.
    My question is there a map(maps)?

I know they go through all kinds of dimensions and what not but I have looked for a some kind of map and can't find one.

On book 5, and obviously don't want spoilers, but I would like some visual reference for their journey, though I could go without it.

Thanks

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Yes, sort of, but really? No.

The world cannot truly be mapped, as often mentioned in the books :) I believe there's an attempt at one in The Dark Tower: A Concordance (A book written by someone to explain things about TDT - I believe even King used it).

3. Meep

Meep New Member

Yea I do realize it would be kind of hard to make a true map, but just some visual reference is what I meant. But thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. bewitt

bewitt Registered User

Wowzers! Just finished book 7- the dark tower, and I couldn't be more disappointed. Frankly I wished I had stopped at book 4 because that's the apex, the rest -embarrassingly poor, mostly dumb really with a few - very few - good parts. Frankly I'm pissed about the ending, pissed about the metafiction BS, pissed I wasted so much time on a series King obviously quit on. My advice is quit while you're ahead and read something good. Abercrombie, Scott lynch or Peter Brett.

5. Meep

Meep New Member

Hehe, I read about a book a week so I doubt I could be too disappointed.

6. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Just goes to show different tastes...it's one of my favorite endings ever.

7. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I, too, loved the ending.

8. bewitt

bewitt Registered User

Alright the way it actually ends is kind of a cool, but it resolves nothing, its more the rush at the end that erked me. Like he realized he only had 10 sheets of paper left so hurry and wrap it up. What disappointed me is that the concepts presented in mid-world and the beam were so awesome and that setting had so much untapped potential, but it felt squandered. King kept going back to the New York vibe to validate his need for pop culture reference and song lyrics.

I feel kinda the same way about The Name of the Wind, it started feeling like author masturbation (I shouldn't have read Rothfuss's bio before his novel). I guess king paid his dues and can do what he wants, I just wish he would have had a plan for the dark tower
    series. To me it feels made up as he went along.

9. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I'm about 1/3 of the way through book 5, Wolves of the Calla, and have put it down to read something else more inspiring and interesting. I'm just finding it too long-winded with not much happening, and I'm not even caring about the characters any more.

Maybe I'll come back to it but there's a good chance Book 4 is where I stop, which is a shame because I've liked the story so far.

10. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

Another vote for loved the ending. It was not a tied with a bow kind of ending. It actually kind of blew my mind.

11. Snikt5

Snikt5 www.Ritualofthestones.com

I loved the ending as well.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but I get so bored of the "should have finished at book 4 comments." The comment just seems to be a popular thing to say a long the lines of Lucas ruined star wars with the new trilogy.

Book 5 was maybe my favourite of the books. I agree book 6 is the weakest and 7 has it's problems but no more than the earlier books. I definitely did not feel the series declined to such an alarming extant as many make out. I enjoyed the series as a whole.

12. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I'm usually pretty picky about this kind of stuff, but I loved the way King ended the series. It was unique and it was probably very hard to come up with any kind of ending that would make the masses happy.

13. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

The comics and graphic novels Marvel is publishing based on the Dark Tower includes a great deal of background information on the world written by Robyn Furth the personal research assistant to Stephen King and the author of Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Complete Concordance, which was published by Scribner on December 5, 2006. It is a compilation of her two previous encyclopedic books dealing with King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower: A Concordance, volume I - which explores the first four books in King's series - and A Concordance II, which gives the reader definitions and explanations of pivotal terms used over the course of the final three books of The Dark Tower.

14. Don

Don New Member

That's how he writes all of his books, or at least, that's how he's written all of his good ones; so the man says. Apparently the only book he planned that he ended up liking was The Dead Zone.

To each his own I guess.

15. bewitt

bewitt Registered User

I buy that. To be honest this is the only King I've read, but i shredded through the Tower like i was on a mission. After the revelations at the end of the gunslinger, i figured the ending would be as profound and sciency logical as that bit of palaver. Oh, well, maybe im just getting spoiled by more modern writers that like to kick your face open with awesome endings.

The only other King I attempted was Cell, and it turned into never ending Tylenol P.M. to me.

16. Twinner

Twinner Registered User

Wizard and Glass is among my very favorite reads. I liked the entire series to varying degrees, but none captured my imagination like the 4th book.

17. owlcroft

owlcroft Webmaster, Great SF&F

Just another opinion.

I made it though the first three books. I couldn't manage the fourth save by skipping the supposedly crucial long flashback, and I have now given up. King obviously has writerly abilities, but he has been too lazy for a long time to bother applying them much. I don't need to spend money on writing that was, in essence, phoned in.

18. bewitt

bewitt Registered User

Thats too bad that you skipped the flashback. I, and apparently others, thought that was the best part of the series. You finally get to see what a gunslinger was supposed to be. When Roland yells out "Hile Gunslingers, to me, ride them down, kill them all!" - best part of the series, IMO. That and the ensuing bloodbath. In a way King kind of screwed the pooch by making the Gunslingers nigh on unbeatable, through out the series I never felt any danger for the MCs when the bullets started flyin'

BTW sorry for hijacking Meep's thread for my pissy-pants tirade on the first page.

19. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

Same here! I thought the ending was amazing. Nearly brought me to tears though...nearly! Even though the last few books were a bit of a slog, the journey was definitely worth it.

Debating whether or not to embark on the Dark Tower comics...

Any opinions?

20. bewitt

bewitt Registered User

Ha. I was holding three of the comic hard backs in borders the others day, didn't pull the trigger. I bet they're worth it. Read the first and I thought the art style worked great with the vibe the books gave me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011