Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by kcf, Oct 10, 2012.

1. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

So, Stormdancer gotten a log of buzz and a lot of negative reviews. I'm pretty mixed on it, though certainly trending negative. I'm surprised that I didn't see an existing discussion thread (though the search function may not be working right with the upgrade)? Anyway, who around here has read it? The blurb below of my full review is only part of what I had to say about it.

2. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

I have it in my queue, tried to get an ARC but they said they were out of them. It will probably get read soon as the negative reviews have my interest piqued.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

I loved the UK cover, Ken: started it but it really wasn't my thing up to where I got. If I remember right, it read like a martial arts manual with an annoying heroine thrown in. It was the first third or so I read.

Might work for YA readers, but didn't for me. I do usually finish books to the bitter end, though these days not as much as I used to: review deadlines!

I didn't complete this one, so I'd be interested to hear from others if it improves. What you've said though seems to reflect my thoughts and fears. There's nothing wrong with using traditional tropes as long as it is done well and brings something of interest to the reader. This one didn't: as far as I got.

Mark

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. kcf

kcf Nobody in Particular

Mark, I don't think you should waste your time revisiting this one. It doesn't improve significantly and in many ways only gets worse.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Ken: sorry to hear that. I will take your advice on this one! I hadn't any real opinions about this one before I started, but it seemed to me like an opportunity lost.

But it is a debut novel (I think!). So it*might* get better as it goes?

I gather Jay is a real martial arts expert, so I will be careful what I say. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark