Superheroes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kloke, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Kloke

Kloke Registered User

Who is your favorite superhero and why do you like he or she?

2. Bengoshi-San

Bengoshi-San Celestial Dragon

I cannot decide who is my favorite at the moment, but one of the superheroes I respect the most is Batman.

Why?
    Because:
    *He lives in Gotham (NYC)
    *He isn't born with any supernatural powers.
    *He is rich, but cares about the poor.
    *Is learned in martial arts and other forms of combat.
    *Has a menacing quality about him.
    *Has a tormenting childhood.
    *Will never let a woman break his heart.

And because he isn't afraid to wear black, unlike all the other cliche colorful / star-spangled-banner-underpants heroes (Captain America, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc).

3. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

Isn't Gotham City "really" Chicago? I though Metropolis "was" New York. Other than that, I fully second that answer. The Batman rocks. Can't wait for The Dark Knight.

I think the reason I like Batman is that he isn't an aspirational figure, like so many of the luridly-coloured musclebound Heroes. I mean, would you want to be him? The poor guy's tortured, driven, fanatical. It makes him much more interesting than his colleagues.

[pedant] NB: The Batman doesn't wear black - he wears blue and grey, with a little yellow. [/pedant]:D

4. Amaunette

Amaunette Vicious Attack Bunny

Definitely another thumbs up for Batman. I like the superheroes that kick ass without being aliens/mutants. I also like Batman because he's a conflicted figure -- he's very nearly a criminal in his own right.

My second would be Ironman.

5. Bree

Bree :)

Batman. He's the most realistic superhero, because he has no powers. He relies on his wealth, gadgets, strength in martial arts. He cares for all of Gotham, not just one woman. He's dark, and very nearly could be a villian himself. He has a bad past.
    Aye. Batman is the best.

6. Stenny

Stenny Registered User

I like Iron Man! I've only seen the film, but it was brilliant and I just loved the attitude!

7. Right Brane

Right Brane SteveJordanBooks.com

Actually, it's the other way 'round. Chicago, the city considered the most modern and futuristic of American cities for years, was the original model for Metropolis, the natural city for a Kansas farmboy to head for (though the Reeve Superman movie clearly made it look like NYC). NYC, the older, more run-down and dark, home of muggers in alleys preying on the rich Long Island visitors, was the model for Gotham City.

Look at the architecture: The 19th century styles, often referred to as "Gothic," are more common to NYC than Chicago, which has a distinct 20th century style.

(Don't you love uber-analyzing superhero stuff?)

8. Laylarnie

Laylarnie New Member

Batman and Superman

I agree Batman is cool because he is just a normal man with no special powers. I like the fact that he is so committed to the greater good and is prepared to make the choices that other people can’t make even if it means loosing what he loves the most. His costume is the best because it is classier, less colourful and not so attention seeking (check out my package in these pants!). His character faces this constant struggle between good and evil, he’s mentally unstable and traumatized by his past. This creates an on going internal battle, if he switched could do serious damage and that is why it is so readable/watchable.
    On the other hand I like Superman for the opposite reasons. He has the powers that would enable him to rule the world but he chooses not to use them in that way. What is also interesting is that his guise on earth as 'Clark Kent' represents his vision of humanity, cowardly and weak yet he fights to help regardless. Plus as a child I loved Super Girl… but I think that was just because I wanted to be her.:eek:

9. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

OK, I can follow you there. Obviously this is my mistake, but for some reason I have an image of Chicago as being the more Gothamy town, which somehow fits the down-and-dirty Batman. I suspect this is because of a combination of (a) watching Due South, often set in crumbling Chicago underclass neighourhoods, and (b) my brief flirtation with watching American Football, during which the Chicago Bears had a sort of rough, blue-collar image. Also the fact that Clark Kent goes to work at a leading newspaper always inclined me to think of the New York Times. I have no valid reason for this.

I rarely do anything else! I loved American comics as a kid, then drifted away from them until the modern classics started coming out and generating hype over here; Watchmen, Sandman, and of course The Dark Knight Returns, where it all stems from. That one in particular totally rekindled my fascination with The Batman, which has been fed and reinforced by the recent exceptional movies (note my new avatar). And the rise of internet geekdom has fulled it too, with a million theories and questions flying around - I remember being bowled over by the one about Robin's costume, and it spurring me on to new heights (depths?) of nerdiness. My girlfriend thinks it's great that I spend so much time on this stuff.

Oh wait - no, she doesn't.:D

10. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Let me just say that Batman would kick Superman's butt any day.

11. WyrvenGuard

WyrvenGuard I Has Good Writing

DC sucks! (just kidding... only said that because I see so many batman/superman references here.)

Back to why Marvel kicks butt...

Wolverine is the bestestest super hero out there (12 year old talk as I've reverted to when I would buy every Wolverine comic my hands could reach).

Think about it, he can't fly, or have super strength... he can't shoot lasers out of his eyes, or shapeshift or telepathicly blow your head up...

Instead he's got... super healing powers! and the fact that he got his adamantium skeleton because he was a ginuea pig in some government experement means he kicks balls in... all over the place... men staggering breathless to the ground as wolverine snickers over their newly transformed eunic bodies.

12. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

I have always been a little partial to Marvel myself too. Spider-man's been my favorite superhero since I was little. I always just wished I had his powers like climbing up walls and having a spider-sense. So cool (and yes I revert to my five year old self when I talk about it too)

13. FremenWarrior

FremenWarrior The bird of Hermes

Spider-Man every time. he just appeals to people because he's an ordinary person underneath the mask (Bruce Wayne is a billionaire and yet Peter Parker is a photographer and dmore popular). GO SPIDEY!!!

14. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

I second the recommendation/experience.

15. Akeldama

Akeldama New Member

Spot on. I just rewatched The Dark Knight two days ago. Incredible movie.

16. Tidus

Tidus Registered User

Ironman, Love the thought of battle armor.

17. Wulfa_Jones

Wulfa_Jones Gentleman and Scholar

Marvel totally over use Wolverine.... he in two different team (Avengers and X-Men) as well as having about 5 different solo titles.

Not to be patriotic, but I quite like Captain Britain. My all time favourite Superhero is Beast – Hank McCoy, not really due to his abilities, but more to how the character is written.

18. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

He also leads X-Force atm :D
    The new Captain Britain is really good, some strong storylines so far but my current favourite is Immortal Iron Fist. It's Marvel's best 'new' series in a long time.

19. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

The Batman sucks. He's the most 'realistic' superhero if you ignore all the other unpowered superheroes. You know the ones who aren't multi-bajillionares, AND have black belts in a dozen martial arts AND are Olympic level athlete, AND have PhDs in Chemistry, Psychology, Biology, Forensics, and Criminal Law, AND have the single greatest information network in the world, AND have every conceivable object in their magic belt of plot.

James Bond is more realistic than Batman, and no one pretends that James Bond is anything other than blatant wish fulfillment.

As I character I find Batman horribly shallow. Because he’s DC’s cash cow, he can’t kill anyone, so we get lots of BS about how he never goes ‘too far’ and has a ‘code’ he follows. At the same time, we see him break someone’s spine, break their bones, toss them into windows and then let them bleed out while he interrogates them, electrocutes people, etc. If this were reality, some of these people would die, but DC’s plot angels make it so Batman never kills. Everyone magically makes it to a hospital in time where they get just the help they need (though we’re told that in Gotham, Emergency Rooms are crowded and people sometimes have to wait for hours for care, this never happens to someone he’s almost beaten to death.)

Contrast this to Wonder Woman, who will kill to defend herself or save lives but doesn’t cause more harm than necessary to stop an opponent, or Daredevil, who doesn’t kill on purpose, but has accidently killed people in fights.

Oh, and Batman’s personality. Yeah, he’s dark and broody. Sort like that one vampire guy from Twilight.

[​IMG]

20. Hoodwink

Hoodwink contains traces of nuts

I love you Hippokrene :)

If Batman was any kind of true Batman, he'd hang upside from the roof of his bat cave and his bat mobile would be covered in guano. But no, he sleeps in a four poster and has a butler wake him up with breakfast.

So he lost his parents when he was young. Boohoo. They left him a trust fund and what does he spend it on? A gimp suit with a cape. And what's with this crap about putting a "bat-" prefix on everything? The bat-cave, the bat-mobile, the bat-cycle, the bat-phone.

We get it already! What's next? Alfred, fetch the Bat-underpants and my lucky Bat-socks?

Give me Spiderman, every damn day of the week. And if he's busy, give me a Silver Surfer.