Superheroes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kloke, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Coconut Ent

Coconut Ent Registered User

How about Sailormoon?

... all right, I hate Sailormoon.

Does Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist) count?

2. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

I was a huge Thor fan growing up. Asgard, Odin and Loki - that was cool stuff. I did not like the secret identity part very much and felt it was better when that aspect ended. I also read a lot of Warlord which I think was DC - but I dont think he was a "Hero" necessarily. I have boxes of comics in my attic.

I could never relate at all to Superman - all that power and he works at a newspaper. I think I would lose my mind or just take over the world and run it according to my own philosophical bent. The villians in Superman were way cooler.

As far as superheroes I loved the whole X-men team especially Storm and Wolverine.

I miss the days of taking my allowance and buying comics and waiting till I got home to sit on my bed and read them. That was heaven. I dont know how kids afford them now a days.

3. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Might be worth checking their value ;) Thor is really good at the moment, they did essentially a relaunch of the character a year ago and it's worked well with some top quality art and excellent writing. Warlord's had two 'revivals', the second one only last month and sadly both have been pretty dreadful.

There seems to be a movement along that line of thought recently, Marvel did a Squadron Supreme remake that had a lead character who was a very interesting alternate take on Superman. Mark Waid only last month put out Irredeemable where the Superman character is what the title suggests and a friend of mine, Justin Jordan, has written a title called Overthrow based on the premise that Superman essentially says "I can rule this world better than you, so I will.'

4. Daddy Darth

I am glad to hear Thor is back. I picked up a graphic novel a while back called Loki I think and it was from his perspective. Thor thumped him for good at the end of that one. It was really interesting. I am curious if any of the relaunch has been issued in graphic novel format ala the Sandman. I would love to pick it up and give it a try.

Too bad for the Warlord. Thinking back on that comic it had a lot to do with developing my interest in fantasy along with Thor. I mean the guy was basically naked running around with a sword. Talk about the suspension of disbelief - I thought it rocked then.

5. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Volume 1 trade collecting the first 6 issues in paperback format http://www.amazon.ca/Thor-J-Michael...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241618396&sr=1-1 you can get it in hardcover aswell but it's about half as expensive again. The second volume isn't due until June.

6. Daddy Darth

Kater - Thanks for the information. I will definitely check it out. I have not had a good comics chat in ages. These days my purchases are mainly graphic novels or in the collection format. I like to get something weighty in my hands and read a whole story at once.

7. JebStryke

JebStryke Killer Trident

Good point, but I think in the wake of The Dark Knight, Chicago is now the "new" Gotham.

8. HSnodgrass

HSnodgrass Conan Troutman's Feed

Green Arrow is my favorite. No superpowers, just a crack shot with a bow. Plus he had a billion dollar fortune and then donated it away then traveled the country in an old truck with Green Lantern a la The Merry Pranksters and Further. He also got really dark during "The Longbow Hunters". Good stuff all around. Kevin Smith also wrote a graphic novel, "Quiver", staring Green Arrow which was phenomenal.

9. Daddy Darth

Green Arrow rocks. I collected him for a long time. I particulalrly enjoyed when he was not using the trick arrows. I wanted a blonde goatee like him but alas my beard is black. Not that I am allowed to grow one - but thats a story for another day. This post is always a blast from the past for me.

10. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

I think you guys will like Green Arrow: Year One by Andy Diggle and Jock if you haven't tried it, it's a revamped origin story that came out about 12/15 months ago. The story edges more towards realism and some fun with young, reckless Ollie before he finds his calling. I'm not a big GA fan but Diggle and Jock are so good I had to have a look and ended up really enjoying it.

11. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

I realise why a lot of people like Batman, he is a cool character, but to like him because he wears black unlike Green Lantern because he wears green makes no sense. Green is in his name. If the guys name was Green FILL IN THE BLANK I would expect him to have some of the color of his namesake in his costume.

There have been a lot of great reboots to some major comic book characters in the last year or so: Thor, Iron-man, Hulk (there now is a red hulk), Captain America, etc.
    As well as some that I would rather forget: Spiderman: a brand new day for instance.

While I left the states before things got really interesting with Batman, but when I left Batman had died in the Final Crisis (a very confusing and let down IMHO) and DC was just getting ready to launch the series Battle for the Cowl in which Robin's 1,2, and 3 were going to hack it out to see who would become the next batman.

As far as Final Crisis is concerned it was a big let down and now we have the rainbow coalition of lanterns from green, red, yellow, red, blue, purple, etc. While the beginings looked good the addition of all of the lanterns turned me off

Secret invasion from Marvel did not do much for me either, all it did was scramble a few teams and take Tony Stark out of the picture and set up the villians in control of much of the big departments like SHIELD, which reminds me of the original idea behind Wanted (the movie is completely different)

12. Perspicuus

Perspicuus Registered User

I enjoy Images "Invincible".
    They rip off marvel and dc but it's done tastefully.

Main character is kinda like peter parker in someways. Teen that gets alot of power and deals with the everyday school drama and some.

I highly recommend it.

13. RobertsInferno

RobertsInferno Registered User

I like Captain America. Good back story and I mean come on, AMERICA right in his name! Win win situation lol

14. rdwillard

rdwillard Registered User

THE TICK!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a batman fan, like wolverine plenty, when he isn't in seven places at once and discovering for the fortieth time that his real origins are actually something completely different than he found out last time.

But as much as I love the tormented hero, as much as I love a guy who conquers by intellect and/or sheer willpower, as much as I love the superheroes I can relate to, how do you beat a guy whose battle cry is SPOON!

or for that matter, a guy in a blue suit who calls himself 'the tick'.

15. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

Final Crisis was a joke, all that to bring back Flash. Marvels Secret Invasion was done just as poorly though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  16. DarkShad3-0w

DarkShad3-0w fried chicken

RORSCHACH. He is from Watchmen, and for the batman fans actually he is Batman in a parallel universe, he is amazingly good at thinking his way around things.he can take on an entire S.W.A.T. squad and take them out only using things that he finds in a regular apartment. He is serious about Justice and he would rather have the world die as well as himself then keep the truth from someone. (his name is spelled like ... roar...shack)

17. Steven L Jordan

Steven L Jordan I like SF. SF is cool.

Elijah Snow of Planetary. He's a rich detective genius, but he can be ruthless and cruel when it suits him. He has a unique power, which he's figured out some interesting ways to use... but even more important than his power is his drive to unlock the mysteries of the world. To that end, he trained himself, sought out the greatest minds to teach him, and while adventuring, managed to found a monstrous multi-billion-dollar organization.

18. shanthamassian

shanthamassian New Member

I get a feeling that deep down, for 90% of the planet, everyone's favorite superhero is Batman, even if they won't admit it, because EVERYONE'S favorite is Batman.

Sure we'll have our phases, shifting over to Spiderman when we're teenagers, and possibly Superman when we are in our 20's and want to be on top of the world, or even the HULK when we're angry!

But when we mellow out, we always go back to Batman, because in the end, we all learn we're human, but we can always try to be more.

19. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Registered User

I like Batman and mighty Thor.

20. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime