The Bobby Dollar series by Tad Williams

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Werthead, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Bobby Dollar #1: The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

2. gainespost

gainespost Registered User

I've only read a few of Tad Williams's books; "Tailchaser's Song" and the "Dragbone Chair" series and one other, whose name escapes me. But I really like his prose; he's a good writer. 'Looking forward to reading more by him; I know he has some other series out there that have gotten high praise. 'Glad to hear he's still putting new books out.

3. Lord Pendragon

Lord Pendragon Registered User

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, his first epic fantasy series, is by far my favorite of his works. i have to agree with Werthead about Shadowmarch which i tried several times to read and failed each and every time. War of the Flowers is a fantastic stand-alone that is pseudo urban fantasy. Otherland, his third large series, falls somewhere in between. Great concept and some amazing characters, though it can drag and points for certain, especially if you find certain characters more compelling than others.

I hadn't realized this novel was coming out, thanks for the heads-up werthead, it'll definitely go on my wish list. :D

4. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

This book sounds quite interesting and I am always eager to start new series so I can feel like I am up to speed for a change (I am usually reading books several years, or decades, old).

I am always a bit leery when reading a book with religious overtones as the main backdrop for the story's setting. With this being only 400 pages though, it is probably worth the gamble to give it a shot.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

I think it's worth giving this one a shot, Matt. There's some interesting ideas about the religion aspect of such things, as well as an element of 'it just is'.

Totally take your point. I wouldn't count myself as particularly religious/atheist, but I think Tad handles it well and in an intelligent way.

My SFFWorld review will be up next week, I suspect.

Mark

6. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Good to hear Mark. I certainly won't mind it if it is handled that way. Between your comments here (including a sneak peak at your review!) and Wert's review above, I feel confident it will be handled to my liking and it sounds like it is shaping up to be an exciting new series.

The only thing I will feel bad about is that this series will be my first exposure to Williams. I haven't even checked out Memory, Sorrow & Thorn, despite knowing it will be a series I will be quite taken with. I do plan to rectify that in the next few years, but I shall likely pick this up when it releases.

7. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Williams is an interesting author. I often think of him as the American Neil Gaiman, if Gaiman had gotten distracted away from writing his normal stuff by the lure of the Big Fat Fantasy. Williams has got that similar versatility and ability to work with many different kinds of mythology and legend (maybe even moreso, with his ability to do SF in Otherland and his short fiction), but, unlike Gaiman, tends to get bogged down a lot more easily in long-running series.

8. Lord Pendragon

Lord Pendragon Registered User

I actually don't see this as a negative, assuming I am into the Big Fat Fantasy he's writing. I love love loved Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, so I was happy as a hog while he was bogged down in it. On the flipside, couldn't stand Shadowmarch, so it almost felt like I'd lost him as an author, since I knew it'd be years and years before he was free to write anything I enjoyed again. :p

9. Gkarlives

Gkarlives Mystic and Misfit

I actually liked the Shadowmarch series although the ending let me down a bit until he recovered a bit with the cleaning up of the loose ends. I liked the duel level of the God's wars and the mortal/immortal wars. Barrick's time behind the shadow line was incredibly immersive. I will say that the Shadowmarch series was very derivative of all his other books. At times I sensed War of the Flowers; Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; and Otherland. Unfortunately, I bailed early on the Otherland series and have constantly thought of trying again.:D

10. Hyperstorm

Hyperstorm resident of Hyperborea

I loved TW's Otherland series and I found this book to be a fun read. However on a mystery level it does read like a regular one, nothing original over here in regards to the plot twists, the side character cast or the noir-ish setting.

The world building is the most interesting part as the author leaves a lot vague about Heaven and who rules it. I'll be reviewing it soon on FBC as well. I liked the way it ended and makes me curious to know what the author has planned next in the remaining books of the trilogy.

Mihir

11. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Eagerly awaiting the release on Tuesday, especially after reading Mark's full review as well as Wert's. I think I may crack into this as soon as I finish The Dragon Reborn (WoT #3).

Anyone else picking it up on release day?

12. Hobbit

Thanks Matt. I hope people enjoy it as much as I did!

Because I am useless at such matters, i should perhaps point out that my review is HERE.

There's also an extract from the novel at Pat's website HERE that gives you an idea of the fast paced style that's throughout the book. It is very different to the 'usual' Tad, but might give people an idea of what this is like!

Mark

13. Alle

Alle A Fantasy Freak

This one sounds really good to me...just pre-ordered it. :)

14. chokipokilo

chokipokilo Unreasonable reasoner

I remember thinking the "War of the Flowers" pros were highly reminiscent of Gaiman's in "Neverwhere."

15. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Very much, yes.

16. rawan33

rawan33 New Member

This seems to be interesting! can't wait to have it...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  17. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

My local Barnes and Noble didn't have it out on Wednesday. :(

Will check back this weekend..otherwise, I will just order on Amazon.

18. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Same here. Probably wait until Abercrombie's latest is out and get both at the same time.

19. sic's mom

sic's mom I want to be a princess

I am about three quarters of the way through this and have to say I have enjoyed it very much. Yes there are comparisons to Dresden, and maybe in some ways they are right. But it has its own speed and style that is not Harry. I really like Bobby, he is a good first voice. He is also my kind of angel in the fact he is always questioning things. He doesn't completely drink the kool-aid that Heaven is offering. The middle was a little slow, but now towards the end I am having trouble putting it down. I loved Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, and now I think I am really going to love this one, even though they are completely different. If you like any kind of urban fantasy like the Dresden files or one of the many others out there I believe you will like this one. Since I am pretty agnostic myself I do like the fact Williams doesn't beat you over the head with the religion thing. Like I said Bobby has lots of questions, which doesn't make his job as an angel any easier, but I like the fact he is a tad bit of a rebel

20. Hobbit

Thanks for that, sic!

Always pleased when people like a book as much as I do: and I think you've echoed with much of what I thought.

Mark