The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by DurzoBlint, Sep 27, 2012.

1. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Nice - glad to hear it.

2. sullivan_riyria

The Crown Tower is a prequel. It takes place about 12 years before the events of the first book in the Riyria Revelations.

Yes, Theft of swords are the first two books of "The Riyria Revealtions" it consists of The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha. Each of those novels is about 100,000 words long, and yes they are interconnected.

I love the "bicker lovingly like fishwives" - a great description!

3. sullivan_riyria

Found out the release date of the second in this series, The Rose and the Thorn will be in Sep 2013. Originally I thought it would come out in January 2014 but Orbit is going to do it's "one a month" release thing.

4. sullivan_riyria

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. Heather Myst

Heather Myst Chocolate.....Count Me In

Thanks Michael. I'm off to Amazon.

6. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

Thanks for the info. Do you yet know if The Rose and the Thorn will have a US release in book form? Also, any idea if The Viscount and the Witch will ever get a print release (maybe in an anthology)?

7. sullivan_riyria

Thanks for the support!

8. sullivan_riyria

Yes The Rose and the Thorn will be released in the US in ebook, print, and audio - the "pre-order" page just isn't up yet.

The Viscount and the Witch....I may one day do a compilation of shorts and print it. I would need a few more shorts first though. If you want a copy of a .pdf that you can print and read - send me an email at michael (dot) sullivan (dot) dc (at) gmail (dot) com.

9. mcdill

mcdill New Member

Sigh - regional issues again for the Kindle version. Not available in Hong Kong (Asia Pacific) where I live.

Kind regards

10. sullivan_riyria

Two possibilities.

1. It's just because it is a preorder
    2. You're looking at the US version and not the UK version (which is who has the rights for the overseas markets).

Do me a favor....Can you tell me if either of these two links work for you?

International verison of Theft of Swords on Amazon UK
    International verison of The Crown Tower on Amazon UK

11. mcdill

mcdill New Member

Thanks for the quick response. Both the above links show that the ebooks are not available for my country. For Hong Kong, I have to use the Amazon US store for Kindle books.

BTW this has always been an issue with Orbit titles. Same issue for Joe Abercrombie's latest books. Joe's latest stuff (e.g. The Heroes, Red Country) are not available in Kindle format for HK. BTW I also could not order Percepliquis in Kindle format in Hong Kong.

It used to be an issue with John Scalzi's titles. However, he (or his publisher) must have done something and I can now order his latest titles from Amazon US. TOR apparently has worldwide ebook rights for "The Human Division" so I can order the whole series from Amazon US.

12. chris777

chris777 Registered User

You should definitely move. This takes precedence over jobs, family, friends, etc...

That sucks though. You should try and spoof your IP so it looks like you are in the UK.

13. sullivan_riyria

Thanks - that helps quite a bit. You are correct it is a Hachette thing - they've been working on it for awhile now...but obviously haven't gotten it sorted out yet. Let me see what I can do.

14. sic's mom

sic's mom I want to be a princess

Oh thank God. There are times I have little patience in waiting especially when it is a book I am waiting for. Though I know I don't have any choice, that doesn't mean I have to like it:)

15. sullivan_riyria

Glad to hear you are excited about the new releases.

16. chris777

chris777 Registered User

So I am reading this series, I'm on book 2 Rise of Empire. Which is technically like book4 since I'm 3/4 of the way done...anyways...

I have some concerns and some praise that I need to say. First let me say that I really like this series. It's not some amazing piece of work that will blow your mind. But it's a FUN read. Which is what we all want right? Nothing too crazy. I like the dialogue, the characters, the plot, etc... You can tell we get deeper and deeper into the plot with each book. I just hope there is enough time to focus on what the ACTUAL battle is between. Everyone is pawns of something much higher, but we don't know yet...etc. And honestly my only complaint is that the reveals are much too obvious. (read only if you've read all of Rise of Empire)
    I almost started a thread guessing everything so far. Royce being an elf. Obvious the first time someone described him and we found out there are elf hybrids. Hadrian being the guardian. Obvious the first time someone asked Hadrian where he learned his moves. I believe it was the Pickering boy? Possibly a little before that. And Gaunt being the heir. This took awhile longer. At first I thought it was going to be that Monk boy who could memorize everything. That seemed like an almost magical trait. And I assumed it was someone we knew. And as soon as Royce said he didn't recognize the person Esrahadon saw, I knew it was Gaunt. Cause it still had to come as a shock, and he was about the only one who Royce hasn't seen that could come as a shock. I just liked being more surprised by these things is all. I don't know if I'm just a good guesser...or if these things are truly obvious.

17. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

chris
    You have plenty of surprises coming. I won't say any more than that. :)

18. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I hope you are right. Maybe some of these "reveals" are misdirection? Maybe this will be like First Law and the main wizard
    turns out to be the mastermind trying to control the world himself. (Which was awesome btw) I spoiler text this because I absolutely love FirstLaw and don't wanna ruin it for anyone who might happen to read that.

19. sullivan_riyria

I'm always surprised when people say...
    oh it was so easy knowing Royce was an elf...as if this was some great revelation. Of course it is obvious, I really wasn't trying to be subtle about it in the least. It's not something he brings up or discusses because the way mir are treated. But I wasn't trying to "hide" the fact. Even so...believe it or not there are still people who say...I didn't know Royce was and elf!! I actually get emails on it often. Here's my technique...just so you know. I drop hints...some subtle...some obvious. Expecting you to figure things out. But if it is something REALLY important...then I bring it front and center so no one could miss it. For instance, in The Crown Conspiracy I mention Hadrian's necklace, but I doubt any but the most careful reader remembers that during the scene in Avempartha. I also mention it while he is fighting at the well with a Pickering...again some might pick up on it there....but if they don't...then I have the "final reveal" at the end of Avempartha so it is crystal clear.

Anyways...keep on reading. Few make it through the book without a surprise or two or three. And thanks for reading!!

20. chris777

chris777 Registered User

And that's why I like hearing replies from the author. It's good to know what was meant to be subtle or a surprise or just never talked about, but assumed...then later revealed. Not everyone is perfect. Not everything can be so subtle and dramatic that it was a shock, and made sense looking back on things, but you never caught it before until now....That's hard to pull off. Specially with ppl who try and logically guess. It's best if you don't try and guess....but it's not possible for me. =/ Ironically I hate being right.