The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Roland 85, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

[​IMG]

Here is the from my blog:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  2. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

I didn't like that they basically took the temperature, thirst and Katniss' relationship with her father completely out of the story. They pared down the stuff on the train to almost nothing, so then when they get to the Capitol Katniss' reactions to the stylists seems almost out of character. I agree some of the scenes were visualized pretty well but just as many I thought were done in a silly Hollywood sort of way.

Anyways, I give it more like 6/10.

3. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

I have yet to see the movie.

I've never really gotten over the fact that the book is Battle Royale. I mean - I actually prefer it to the over-cliched Japanese tournoment, and there's a lot more outside information.

But when the MAIN plot revolves around the same plot device so... blatently, it's always kinda' struck me as 'Author read/watched BR; wanted to rewrite it better; cashed in.'

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Book 2: Author read/watched BR; wanted to rewrite it a second time.

I'm a little annoyed they changed Katniss' race. Sort of.

5. Hereford Eye

Hereford Eye Just Another Philistine

Saw The Hunger Games. It's a keeper.

Yes, there were deviations from the book but they were justified by the needs of the movie. Little things such as who presented Katniss with the mockingjay pin eliminated the need for more explanation and made the script that much more taut. The reviewer who complained that the scene of Katniss and Peeta at the end of the book missed the fact the scene was competently suggested by the final dialogue between the two. The scenes of Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane and his crew orchestrating the flow of the games gave a much more clear depiction of the game show trope that the book satirized than the book did. The movie was a complete whole and you cannot ask for more.

The cast was superb. I had reservations about the casting of Peeta but Josh Hutcherson was excellent. Stanley Tucci as Ceasar Flickerman was superb. He performed the role to pitch perfect and his bits of commentary during the game were so accurate I almost fell off my chair LMAO. Elizabeth Banks made Effie seem real and that was not an easy feat. Even Woody Harrelson turned out be better than I had anticipated.

Jennifer Lawrence is as good an actress as we've seen. So much of the movie concentrated on her – in close-up – requiring expressions to fill in for missing thought streams and she played it to perfection.

The violence required by the book came across as horrifying without the need for concentrating on the gore. That was appropriate ass the gore wasn't the point, the games were the point.

The sole objection I have is to the use of the hand-held camera, particularly at the movie's outset. I feared the whole movie was shot with that technique but my fears were misplaced. The opening was just too jumpy for my tastes.

My compliments to Gary Ross and crew. That was great entertainment.

6. Siberian

Siberian Too many books to read...

Well, children/teens in a some kind of a survival situation (that might include fighting with each other, even to the death) is not uncommon in the sff literature. From the top of the head, Golding's Lord of the Flies, Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky, Panshin's Rite of Passage, Card's Ender's Game all deal with this situation from different perspectives. (there was also a book by the Russian author Sergey Lukyanenko where kids were kidnapped and forced to fight each other by evil aliens, but I don't expect non Russian speakers to know about it). Heck, even Oliver Twist or Hector Malot's Sans Famille can fall into this category.

Besides, Battle Royale was not exactly a mainstream blockbuster in the USA, so if Collins claims she's never seen it, she might be actually telling the truth.

7. ubergeek

ubergeek Registered User

hunger games

Thought the film was much better than the book. A well realised vision of a future that might not be far away. Youth fighting to stay alive. Youth fighting for jobs in our current society. Everything so competitive and very little consideration or those less able.

I think it should also make people who engage 'reality tv' have a look at themselves?

8. Gumboot

Gumboot lorcutus.tolere

The similarities between "Battle Royale" and "The Hunger Games" are really quite superficial, and I honestly don't see everyone's assertion the the latter stole from the former.

"The Hunger Games" is clearly and obviously a retelling of the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur; a fact the author herself has openly acknowledged.

Even on a really basic level, the premise to the two stories is significantly different; in fact the only real similarities is "children on an island fight to the death" in which case both of them ripped off "Lord of the Flies".

9. remanjot

remanjot New Member

Thanks for this all, the movie was good to watch and it got good revies and viewers rating.

10. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

Saw the movie. It's better than the Harry Potter junk but I wouldn't take the time to read the book. Barely science fiction. I suppose it is a satire of reality television but an otherwise shallow story.

Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin is far better.

psik

11. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

Like I said, I know only the main plot premise is the same with lots of changed and added elements, and if anything, I prefer The Hunger Games. However, the whole 'set tournoment by an evil state leads to Rebellion,' thing is a lot more specific than any of the list of examples, except Ender's Game which I haven't read so can't comment on.

Anyways, I saw the movie. It had good entertainment value though the actual 'Games' part seemed a little dry - most deaths were off screen. It would have been nice for it not to be so obvious who was going to live or die. I also find it hard to believe that some really young kid has never died before in these things, so why did Rue's death shock people into riots?

I loved the reality-TV/Sponsers element, I loved Katniss being a semi-competant main character. The scene with the arrow and the judges was nice. Oh, and Woody! YEY!

I would have wrote it different, I think. Made the battleground somewhere near District 12, and had Katniss recognize the deer from a few days prior, since they were so 'rare'. Then they plan an escape and Rebel that way. The whole 'Oh, they win,' was too obvious, and repeating the format for a second book isn't appealing to me, personally.

12. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

It has been a couple weeks or so since I saw the movie, but it has stuck with me. It was intense and beautiful and held me and took me away like no movie has done in quite a while. Can't wait for the sequel.

13. scottanderson

scottanderson New Member

Hi friends, Yesterday we had gone to THE HUNGER GAMES movie with my all friends.Its a awesome movie. My all friends to like this movie.

14. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

No sir, didn't like it.

So many problems with the entire premise. If this has been going on for 75 years, why isn't every district training their children to survive this thing instead of sitting around hoping they don't get picked? If volunteers are allowed, why doesn't every district offer up trained, fit 18-year olds instead of taking the chance some poor 12-year old gets picked at random? If this is the television spectacle it's depicted to be, why are any of the tributes remotely surprised by anything they encounter, since it seems like every step of the process is documented by dozens of cameras? It just feels like Collins hit on the "teens as gladiators" idea and didn't fully think through the implications. Now, if this had been the story of the very first Hunger Games, all those problems go away. But then you'd lose the reality TV aspect that she seems insistent on including.

Another issue is that Katniss never really has to make any hard moral choices. The tributes she kills are clearly portrayed a psychopathic bad guys. She's never forced into the decision to kill someone who's just as terrified as she is or be killed herself. It's all just too neat and neutered for something that's supposedly such a vicious blood sport.

And what's with films these days thinking they have to hold our hands? We get the opening title cards that explain how the Hunger Games came about, then we go to the interview with Wes Bentley further explaining them, then we go to District 12 and eventually the propaganda video explaining the Games again. Why not keep us in the dark? Why not have us wondering what it is everyone is getting so worked up about? Why not have the moment Sutherland appears on-screen explaining the Games be when we realize what's about to happen to these kids? That's effective filmmaking. What they did her was just fan-service.

15. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

A lot of the issues you raise were addressed in the book but you are right to complain. One of the main shortcomings of the movie IMO is that it didn't get across a lot of important things from the book!

16. DailyRich

In that sense, it felt a lot like the last two Harry Potter films, which seemed to exist solely to show moments from the book people who'd read it would remember without really involving anyone who hadn't. I'm sure Citta giving Katniss the mocking jay pin was a huge squee moment for fans of the books, but my thought was, "Okay, why should I care about this? Because you haven't made me."

17. Gumboot

Gumboot lorcutus.tolere

You're talking about Nash Equilibrium, but as the Prisoner's Dilemma shows us, large groups of people very seldom enter the equilibrium because they don't perceive it as in their interest. Or to put it more succinctly; because people are selfish.

Second to this, in a place where the slightest sign of martial behaviour is seen as a sign of rebellion, where exactly are they supposed to train children to be fighters? How do people who are struggling to survive from day to day find time (or the expertise) to train expert warriors?

Seeing something on TV and seeing it and experiencing it for yourself are quite different things, believe me. It's also obvious from the film that the process isn't documented every step of the way; rather there's the reaping, then the presentation at the Capitol, then a set-piece media event (the interviews) and the next time we see them is the Arena.

I got the impression the first story is nothing more than a set up.

I kind of think that's the point... although I disagree on the lack of moral choices. I think she had to make a tonne of hard moral choices, they just didn't relate to killing people.

I'm guessing because the games aren't meant to be a twist or a surprise. Everyone in the entire country knows exactly what they are, and lives in dread of them. The mood is one of growing impending doom. It doesn't make any sense at all to make the entire thing a surprise.

18. Gumboot

Gumboot lorcutus.tolere

I saw the film before I read the books, and to be honest I didn't feel like the books added any important crucial information (although they did add lots of interesting little details), and in some ways undermined the film.

For example, one of the single most powerful moments in the film was the three-finger salute gesture, which in the film was implied to be some sort of gesture of rebellion against the Capitol.

Katniss' deliberate gesture of defiance and solidarity with the people of District 11 (resulting in the riots) was the best moment in the film.

So you can imagine my enormous disappoint when I read the book only to discover that in the context of the book it's merely a gesture of affection used at funerals, and that Katniss made it to Rue, not the people of District 11.

19. DailyRich

Katniss and her friend seemed to manage pretty well sneaking off into the woods on their own.

That's nice, but I paid to see a complete film, not a two hour prologue to the good stuff.

20. txshusker

txshusker A mere player

I'm beginning to wonder if I should ever read a book before the movie comes out. I'm certain my reaction would be different.

I'm not disappointed in changes or what was left out. Although, a huge glaring hole was the romance with Peeta... I'm mean, one bowl of boullion and a note that says "you call that a kiss" didn't really get the point across without book knowledge.

I felt like this was similar to HP movies in that if I hadn't read it, I probably would have been much less invested in the characters and much less up to speed on what was going on.

DRs problems stem from what I consider illogical choices and evolutions created by Collins in the book. But if you get past that, the books aren't bad action stories. Although the ultimate conclusion was senseless to me.

I thought this movie was tenser leading up to the games than in the games, and the action sequences average at best. (I hate shaky camera, personally, and if they'd get rid of it, the Bourne trilogy would be even more AWESOME). Perhaps it's because I knew how it ended... I though the relationship between Katniss and Prim and most of the set up to the reaping well done. I was much more drawn in there than during the games.