The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Rob B, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

The fantasy elements in The Dresden Files are known to people who are . . . well, in the know, the people who work "that side of the street."

2. Mister

Mister Registered User

I'm looking for a book or series that involves this world, this real world, and also involves spirit worlds. The spirit worlds should be beautiful and eerie, mysterious, haunting, frightening, and even sometimes cute. A sense that this otherworld is not completely knowable.

Something along the lines of Gaiman's Sandman, Miyazaki's Spirited Away, or Tanith Lee's Flat Earth. Where else would I look for more of the otherworldly and sublime?

I was thinking of giving Clive Barker's Abarat series a spin, or Garth Nix.

3. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

You might try Charles de Lint . I have only read one book by him - The Onion Girl - but it seems like what you are looking for. Some of the stories here are quite dark, and there is danger in the parralel world, but there is also beauty.

Another favorite is Patricia McKillip. Most of her books are high fantasy set in alternate worlds, but she has two books that are within your parameters : Winter Rose and Solstice Wood.

If you haven't tried it yet, Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock is a great choyce, but a bit towards the horror side.

Another of my favorites: King of Morning, Queen of Day by Ian McDonald - a collection of interconnected stories set in Ireland, with a passage to the faery world.

If you have the stamina and like Victorian novels, try Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Abarat is sort of good for that, but I wouldn't particularly call it a spirit world. I don't know the specifics of how the Islands link in with our world, but... yeah, give it a go anyway. Only three of the five planned books are out, though.

Also worth a look, if you don't mind teen-level lit (Abarat is YA, this series is a step or two below), is Terry Brooks' The Magical Kingdom of Landover series. Landover isn't particularly eerie or anything, but the faery realm (which surrounds Landover) is. Chances are it's not entirely what you're after, but I've read the first three books and enjoyed them to some degree.

5. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

I'm looking for a dark fantasy (secondary world, not contemporary/urban) stories or series with a regular/mundane/normal protagonist.

Meaning...
    - Not a wizard
    - Not the chosen one
    - Not the general of an army
    - Not royalty
    - Not a powerful supernatural being (vampire, werewolf) or supranatural human (Witcher)
    - Not in possession of a magical artifact
    - Not a warrior whose berserk rages gives him the strength of ten men
    - Not a hardened veteran who's killed hundreds of men
    - Not the new recruit in a group of soldiers who are mostly hardened veterans who've killed hundreds of men.
    - Not a master assassin
    - Not a master thief
    - Not the adviser to kings and nobility who's a master manipulator.
    - Not a beautiful and virtuous woman whose beautiful virtuousness causes powerful (but dark!) men to rush to protect her.

If you managed to get me a story whose main character is a blind leper that begs for a living and is so hungry they have to fight with stray dogs over food scraps left in the rubbish, I'd be happy, but all I really need is a story centered around a normal person.

I want a dark fantasy story that's not about Superman or even Batman, but Jimmy Olsen.

PS: The first person to mention the Mazalan Books of the Fallen gets a cream pie to the face. (Your choice of flavors)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Hey Hippo,

Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn might fit the bill. The protagonist, Simon (who has the nickname mooncalf) fits this criteria:

There are some particularly dark passages, bordering on horror, in the trilogy, including the Hayholt castle.

Granted, other characters in the novel fit the criteria above, but seeing the story from Simon's view gives the almost-Jimmy Olsen perspective you mention.

7. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Registered User

Malazan Books of the Fallen... I like banana flavor.

8. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

How about The Hammer by K.J. Parker? Pretty normal and mundane setting and characters all around, but a well told and interesting story, and by the end quite dark.

9. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Is this question or a statement?

10. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Registered User

I haven't read this series but it may have what you're looking for.

Russell Kirkpatrick's Fire of Heaven series:

From a tiny snowbound village, five men and women begin a dangerous quest to challenge darkness, fulfill a prophecy and change the course of their world's history.

For 2000 years, Kannwar, the Immortal Destroyer, Lord of Bhrudwo, has been planning revenge on the Most High.

Mahnum has escaped the Destroyer's prison, but on his way home to Loulea, he and his wife are captured. His sons, Leith and Hal, set off in pursuit with a small group of villagers to free their parents and to warn their world of the coming war.

It looks like they are just average people fighting impossible odds, obviously I could be wrong but check it out and see what you think.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  11. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Registered User

Just messing with hippo

12. Rob B

That's one of the more panned and reviled recent Fantasy series.

13. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Registered User

why so? It looks absolutely fantastic.

14. Rob B

15. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Registered User

I don't know, nothing they said would deter me from reading it. I usually don't listen to critics anyway, the views of the common reader are far more valuable in my opinion.

Has anyone here read this series? If so, what do you think about it?

16. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

How about Abraham's Dragon's Path? It was a good read, I liked it.

17. Rob B

18. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

In terms of hippokrene's request, I'd second Williams' MST and Abraham's Dragon's Path. While I prefer Williams to Abraham, I must admit that it is because Williams is more 'verbose' as some might put it.

19. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Registered User

I think I'm going to check it out, I'm reading two different opinions and usually that means that I will enjoy it. I'm not real well read in fantasy and it sounds like a series I would like to read before I read something like ASOIF.

20. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

Thank you for the recommendations guys.