The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Rob B, Oct 3, 2008.

1. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Hi Starwind,

Welcome to SFFWorld. I've not read the two series you cite, but the descriptions you gave leads me to think you might consider the series Tales of the Jetty Kay, by Chris Wooding. The first book in that series is Retribution Falls.

Pete

2. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I'm reading Retribution Falls right now, I'm lovin it , bigtime.

3. Mr. Aware Eagle

Mr. Aware Eagle Registered User

So I mostly come to this website to discuss science fiction. I've never been huge into fantasy. I've never even read any of the Ice and Fire novels.
    What fantasy novels can you all recommend that will either (a) be enjoyable despite my general disinterest in fantasy, or (b) perhaps change my mind about fantasy?

4. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

You just said it, read A Song of Ice & Fire, starts with Game of Thrones.

5. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

Well, what sort of SF do you like? That'll give us some ideas of what you might like in fantasy, as well. :)

btw, I've never read any of the ASOIAF books either. ;)

6. Starwind

Starwind Registered User

You may enjoy China Mieville's Bas Lag series. Start with The Scar.

I would also highly recommend Richard Morgan's Land fit for Heroes series.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. Mr. Aware Eagle

Mr. Aware Eagle Registered User

I really like space opera. My favorite sci-fi novel is probably 2001: A Space Odyssey. I just read Leviathan Wakes and really enjoyed that.
    I also love Vonnegut's mix of humor and sci-fi.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I just might have to borrow my roommate's copy of Game of Thrones and start that when I'm done with my current book.
    Feel free to keep making recommendations.

8. Dill

Dill Registered User

Hey Starwind, for airships... dirigibles, Jules Verne, remember ; Robur the conqueror, etc. Also, the was a book out in the seventies, or earlier; the game players of zan (or zen), didn't finish it and I'm not sure why, but it was very talked about in its day, you might enjoy it, if you can find it. Best wishes Chang

9. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

As for airships, a recent novel, Farlander (The Heart of the World) by Col Buchanan includes one. It doesn't dominate the book but does make more than a token appearance (I don't want to get into more detail for fear of spoilers).

There is also an early to mid-90's seven book series, called the The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, in which an airship plays a substantial part.

10. Rylie

Rylie New Member

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding what to read next as I'm currently coming to the end of The Black Company series. I'm quite a new reader and have found some books hard going, for example I struggled to get into Scott Bakker's The Darkness that Comes Before as I found it overly descriptive for my taste.

The books or series that I've enjoyed so far are:

Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns
    Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle
    Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle
    G.R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
    Glen Cook's The Black Company (absolutely loved so far)

I've enjoyed the character development in all of these as well as the epic nature of the latter two.

Any books or series you can recommend that are along these lines would be great,

Many thanks.

11. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

You should try the Ryiria Revelations by Michael Sullivan for good characterization and epic adventures. Also The Chatthrand Voyage by Robert V S Reddick and Mistborn by Sanderson if you haven't already.

12. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I'll second the Chathrand Voyage, I always pimp that series, love it. I'm reading Wooding's Retribution Falls right now and really diggin this, everybody loves this series too.

13. Carlyle Clark

Carlyle Clark Registered User

Since you like Glen Cook's The Black Company it's hard to imagine you wouldn't like Cook's Dread Empire or Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

14. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

I havent read anything fantasy in ages since i read all abercrombies books, which i loved.

Can anyone recommend me something similar?

Thankyou

15. HeclaBull

HeclaBull Registered User

Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains and Cold Commands are modern fantasy books that I think come the closest to Abercrombie's style. I think you'd probably also enjoy Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series.

Rylie, you'd probably like them too.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  16. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

Thankyou :)

17. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Registered User

So in the past six months I have read:

A Song of Ice and Fire series released thus far
    The Wheel of Time series released thus far
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    The first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles
    The First Law series

Looking for some advice on what to read next. Basically really love the tone and grit of the MBotF and the First Law series and rough but interesting characters like Fiddler, Smiles, Ninefingers, and Ferro. That said, I really need good resolution in a book. The ending of the First Law series absolutely killed me; I cannot read another book like that.

Beyond tone, I am a sucker for traditional sword, magic, quest, and fellowship type stories with a romance or two tossed in for good measure. I loved the Wheel of Time as well for these reasons primarily.

Sorry for the rambling post, but hopefully you guys have some good suggestions. I believe I am going to start on The Black Company novels for now.

18. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Hi Wulfgang, welcome to SFFWorld.

I'd recommend Glen Cook, whose written quite a few fantasy series.

The Black Company and The Dread Empire are two that might match with the same sensibilities as what the books you mentioned have in common. In addition, Erikson has cited Cook as a major influence.

Matt Stover's Heroes Die should work for you too, but that may lead you to the other books in that series - Blade of Tyshalle, Caine Black Knife and Caine's Law.

Daniel Abrahams The Dagger and the Coin series, which is thus far comprised of The Dragon's Path and The King's Blood should work for you, too.

19. chris777

chris777 Registered User

You are right up my alley. Those are all my favorites.

The ones I am looking forward to reading next are:
    Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
    Prince of Nothing - Scott Bakker
    Gentlemen Bastard Sequence - Scott Lynch

20. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Registered User

Thanks Chris and Rob B. I actually decided to go with the Mistborn series by Sanderson since The Black Company wasn't available on Kindle or in any stores near me. It is pretty fantastic and I've been enjoying it since I'm somewhat used to Sanderson from the last few WoT books after Jordan passed. His writing and description is somewhat less than an Erikson or Jordan, but the plot and ideas thus far in the first Mistborn book have been superb. The whole "magic" system is really unique and cool as well, which is surprising to me given the amount of fantasy I've read. There's also a lot less philosophy / introspection than the MBotF which is preferable to me. Would highly recommend it Chris since I see it's on your to-do list.