The New and Improved Recommendation - Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Rob B, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Hamilton's new book, Great North Road might fit, has alot of procedural stuff I heard.

2. Inconnu

Inconnu Registered User

I downloaded Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey, next on my list! Thanks.

3. BlackVoid

BlackVoid Registered User

The Vorkosigan series is for young adults. It is really not a believable story in any sense, it is more like a tale. Before Miles himself appears on the scene the series is at least readable. After that, it is superhero time which is very annoying and there is zero excitement. He comes and wins.

I recommend Greg Bear, Alastair Reynolds, Vernor Vinge.

4. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

:D :D :D

That is what is wrong with Warrior's Apprentice. It gets toned down after that.

But that complaint can be applied to any series centered on a single character. Try the Honor Harrington series.

Revelation Space is EXCITING? Are you kidding?

psik

5. oceaninashell

oceaninashell New Member

Hi! I'm new over here.

I've been searching for a specific kind of book for some time and hopefully somebody here will have some recommendations. I did use the search function before posting ;)

Ok, I'm searching for a science fiction book that deals mainly with the exploration of a previously unknown, uninhabited planet. If any of you has played the Metroid videogames, then that's what I'm looking for; especially something like Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
    I want a book in which a single character or a small exploration team lands on an uncharted planet and starts to discover the different lifeforms present, the ruins of ancient civilizations, the struggling fauna and flora, the varying climates, etc.
    Most of all I want a book that evolves a feeling of isolation, sense of wonder and slow understanding as the exploration carries on. I'd like pinch of horror or two as well.
    I guess what I'm looking for is a planetary romance but with a strong sense of mystery and decay, and mainly uninhabited (at least of sentient beings)

Now, I guess a book like that probably wouldn't have much of a plot, but that's what I'm searching for.

The only thing I've found that's relatively close to what I'm searching for is Helliconia by Brian W. Aldiss, but that's still not exactly what I'd like to read.

I know I'm asking a lot for a first time poster, so thanks in advance. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated!

6. JimF

JimF Registered User

two of my all time favorite books, ones one i reccomend frequently are Legacy of heorot and baeowulf's children by Niven et al. I think they cover most of what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legacy_of_Heorot

7. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

You know... Rendezvous with Rama would be perfect for you.. I would check it out first though because it's not a planet the team is exploring

8. hyperchord24

hyperchord24 Registered User

I've read a lot of the so called classics and I'm getting a little tired of the "idea story" and scientists being the main characters. The last good scifi that I read was Dune and I haven't really kept up on what good recently in the genre. I'd like some character development and it really could be any sub genre.

9. oceaninashell

oceaninashell New Member

Well, thanks a lot to JimF and krisbslick.

I'll definitely be checking out Rendezvous with Rama (it's just about what I was looking for, except the planet part).
    I'll try The Legacy of Heorot as well, though it looks like it's out of print; oh, I guess I can get it used...

Anyway, really grateful for the recommendations.

10. JimF

JimF Registered User

For used or Out of Print books I've had a lot of success with biblio.com. It is an agregator of used book stores.

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?author=niven&title=legacy&keyisbn=&format=

11. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Jo Walton has an interesting post up at Tor.com: Something Else Like... Heinlein, here's some of it:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  12. gljones

gljones Registered User

Hello All,
    Has anybody tried "The Lost Fleet" books by Jack Campbell? I've been eyeballing those at the bookstore and was thinking about "Diving in". So if anybody has any comments, let er rip.

13. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

Read them. Liked them, Didn't love them. They aren't bad, it just felt like as the books progressed there was some repetition. (in phrases, plotlines.. etc) Needless to say, I read the 6 books in the first Lost Fleet series and 2 books in the Lost Fleet: Beyond the frontier series. I keep reading them because they are straight forward, easy reads, and there is a good amount of action. (also, I hate leaving things half finished)

If this is what you're looking for... go for it!

14. gljones

gljones Registered User

That sounds good to me, will buy the first one and see how it goes. Thanks

15. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I've only read the first one of the initial series but I've also read the first two of the new series Beyond the Frontier and I like them a lot. The second, Invincible, in particular, is very solid.

Also, you might want to try David Weber's Honor Harrington novels. A bit more detailed than Campbell and set on a wider canvas.

16. gljones

gljones Registered User

I will try those as well. I've got 16 books in the queue ready to be read, unfortunately 4 of them are George R.R Martin throne books, they've been intimidating me for a while. I flip flop back and forth between Sci Fi and Fantasy. I'll queue up the Honor Harrington novels but I might not get to them for a while.

17. CrazyReader

CrazyReader Registered User

I'm reading the second book in the Honor Harrington series at the moment. Good stuff!! So, I second the recommendation.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  18. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

I got an ipad yesterday, and while I'm not a big fan of ebooks, I decided that novellas are great in ebook form (and available in ebook form - it can be tough to find print novellas). I picked up the two James S E Corey novellas, Timothy Zahn's novella prelude to Scoundrels, and Howry's Wool. I'm looking for suggestions on good SF novellas available in ebook form. Seeing as I've read essentially zero of them any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

19. Todd O'Rourke

Todd O'Rourke Registered User

I was wondering if anyone could help me...

I am a huge fan of the Marid Audran Series (When Gravity Fails, A Fire in the Sun, The Exile Kiss). In all honestly, it's probably the only series that I have read numerous times over. I was wondering if anyone here has come across a series or standalone that is similar?

FYI... I enjoyed the "cyberpunk" element to it, as well as the questionable methods of the protagonist.

I noticed that some people have mentioned Stainless Steel Rat as a good detective series, should I start there? Or does the comparison end at the detective portion of the novel?

Thanks,
    Todd

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  20. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Jon Courteney Grimwood's Arabesk trilogy might work for you, Todd. Look up Pashazade, Effendi and Felaheen. (Book list HERE)