The Ninth Avatar by Todd Newton

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Bastard, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

Just wondering if anyone here has read it, been hearing good things about it. If not mistaken the author posts here, so surprised I haven't seen the book mentioned, and if mentioned... infrequently.

Anyways, I'm quite interested in it, seems like something like I and many here would enjoy, or at least want to give a try.

Here's a review by Cindy over at FBC:
    http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2010/06/ninth-avatar-by-todd-newton-reviewed-by.html

So, anyone given it a try or planning on it?

http://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Avatar-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279126129&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Avatar-...tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1279126129&sr=1-1

Don't know why it's so expensive at the moment though.

2. Obtuse

Obtuse ‪Ominous, I'm In Us

Referring to the comment by E.L. Fay, I want to know how it literally hits the ground running. In that statement, the thing that hits the ground running is the "read". I interpret that term as meaning the story or the book. Since neither really has legs, it is impossible for them to run at all, literally speaking.

I considered that perhaps the story begins with someone hitting the ground and running, and that is the thing being referred to. So I went to Amazon and read the beginning of the Prologue and Chapter One. Just as I suspected, however, no running.

Sorry for the completely OT rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine and it seems to be happening more and more often. A basketball player has a great game, so a sports reporter claim that he literally blew up on the court. Uh, no he didn't. I'm sure there would have been more coverage of something like that. A young boy goes missing and an extensive search is unsuccessful, so local law enforcement asserts that he literally disappeared off the face of the earth. Holy crap, that's not just a missing boy, that's the rapture! The incorrect use of this word just bugs the crap out of me (but not literally).

Regarding the book itself, I agree with Cindy from FBC on the cover; very cool. Nothing else about the book really sounds that great, though. I suppose some more positive reviews could sway me, but for now, I'll skip it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Would be writer? Sure.

Um...Paging Mr. Newton. Come in Mr. Newton. They're discussing your book or at least trying to...free press, bud.

4. tdnewton

tdnewton The Ninth Avatar

I'm here, I'm here, sorry for the delay.

(thank god for Google Alerts)

One moment.

5. tdnewton

Bastard, thanks a lot for the interest. I don't do a lot of self-promo on the boards because, frankly, it's obnoxious! I mostly hang over on the Writing forum.

Regarding the book, it's my debut work, and I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do actually read it. The publisher is a small, start-up press, which could account for your cost question. The price may drop if I reach a second print run, but that depends on people like you.

Obtuse, apt name ;) I can't scorn reviewers, or how they decide to phrase things, for obvious reasons. The misuse of "literally" is sort of a pet peeve of mine, as well, in day-to-day life. However, what I hope E.L. meant was I didn't wait 10 chapters to make the story interesting and/or engaging and/or action-packed and/or full of death, destruction, mayhem, and general edge-of-the-sword loveliness. Then again, if you read her blog posts around the time she read my book, she basically said, "He's no Tolkien." Taking that at face value, it's good to know I'm alive, right?

Radone, thanks for the page. I've been ensconced in editing this third book and haven't been on the forums as much for the past month or so. Hoping to have it in the publisher's hands by first of August to see if they're interested.

6. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

We'll see, I often wait for book prices to drop a bit... but if I keep seeing good word on the book, I'll get impatient and buy it.

And you're quite correct about the cost/price, I've noticed it with quite a few books I bought recently from small presses or self-published books. Sellers don't give good discounts one is accustomed to with other books.

But $27 + Shipping is just quite a bit much for me at the moment for the hardcover, which is the version I'm interested in.

About doing self-promo, I'd say with you having over 400 posts in this forum in a 2 year span I'd say doing a bit of it would be welcomed. But other than that, was just surprised of seeing little mention of it here from other members once I've learned that you were a fairly active member here.

Anyways, anything else you can say about the series that would be of interest, like your plans for it if any? How many books, planned target date for the sequel, etc.? But overall from what I've seen word has been quite positive, at least in the places I've looked.

And I don't go to the Writing Forums, other than a couple of times a couple of months back.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. Jon Sprunk

Jon Sprunk Book of the Black Earth

Nice review. I'm putting this on my Amazon wishlist.

8. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

Nice, I already have it in Bastard's Excel Spreadsheet.

9. tdnewton

Make sure you add Jon's book, too. That is, if you haven't already read it.

10. tdnewton

It's still funny to me that my Amazon listing "sells frequently with" yours, Jon.

11. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

Already bought and read, really liked it. Waiting for the sequel.

12. tdnewton

Yes, those discounts have a lot to do with volume, and even if the retailers wanted it there isn't that much of my first print run to go around. I've heard from some folks that they're reluctant to drop $27 on debut authors... admittedly, we are kind of a risky investment! I am giving away 3 hardcover copies on Goodreads, though, to make sure you sign up for that before the 18th.

And 400 posts or not, it still looks a bit narcissistic to self-promote the way I'm sure I would. I don't mind talking on my blog, but this place I guess I hold just a little more sacred.

I can tell you a ton about the series, and my plans for it. I'm finishing up edits this month on my third novel. Neither #2 nor #3 have anything to do with 9A's universe, but starting in August I will be working on both a sequel and a prequel to 9A at the same time. Kind of a strange idea, but I decided to move forward with it. Hopefully those will be finished and released in tandem, but I don't have any dates in mind because I've only written about 5 chapters (total) and come up with half the cast of characters.

This third novel, though, will be similar epic fantasy except a standalone volume in a completely separate world. The second novel is in limbo, since it's a religious satire rather than SF/F.

13. tdnewton

Same here, my friend. Same here.

14. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

I too am irritated when someone says 'literally' when them mean 'really' or 'it happened in an extreme way.'

15. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I just purchased this, and Shadow's Son through bookdepository. Not sure when I'll get to reading either of them though, I have a few other books to read too. We'll see what mood I am in when I finish with The Desert Spear and Retribution Falls.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  16. tdnewton

Fantastic. See Jon, people do buy them together. Odd, eh?

Darksbane, I just read The Desert Spear last month, right before I read Shadow's Son actually. Brett has created a really fantastic world. Very enjoyable. Can't wait for the next one of that series, either.

17. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I enjoyed The Warded / Painted Man well enough, especially towards the end, so I am hoping that he builds on the conclusion of the first.

And I'm horrible for impulse buying online. I saw two titles of books that were recommended in the same thread and therefore I bought them together. And I'm a stickler for nice covers; is the main reason I ended up reading Michael J Sullivan's Riyria Revelations, so hopefully these end up being as good a buy as those were. :D

Also, I notice now that I spelled Shadow's Son wrong in my original post. Oops.

18. Jon Sprunk

Jon Sprunk Book of the Black Earth

Hey, whatever works.

19. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

I don't see the problem with the usage. It's really no different than the usage of idioms, phrases, figure of speech. "The shit hit the fan"... yeah? Where's the shit and the fan? "He let the cat out of the bag"... what cat, what bag? We can play this game over and over.

It's just an expression; nothing more, nothing less. It's also similar to the usage of hyperbole, or do you guys also get conflicted when you hear someone say "he's as big as a mountain"? Because he really isn't, you know?

Sorry for going off-topic, but just wanted to address a pet-peeve of mine.

"Just my 2 cents".

20. tdnewton

Then you will probably feel the same way about Spear that I did. It will seem like it starts off slowly, but after awhile you'll realize this isn't the case. It's just because Arlen isn't in the picture at the beginning. When he does show up, though, get ready for the fireworks.