The Omen Machine - Anyone here going to read it?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Twinner, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

And he's watching, even if he doesn't care. ;)

Mark

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

He looks scarily like my next door neighbour. I wonder if Goodkind peppers his dialogues with F-Bombs as frequently, or if he checks his car for damage every. single. time. he. gets. home.

3. Grim

Grim Registered User

I won't be buying The Omen Machine. If someone shows up on my doorstep with a free copy I will liberally douse them with tar and then fetch a chicken.

I'm feeling slightly traumatized. Ender's Game is one of my favourite novels; I've read it a dozen times or more. I knew nothing about OSC so I did a quick search. I was stunned at what I read. I'll be avoiding his works in the future.

4. Spears&Buckler

Spears&Buckler MJ Dusseault

Don't you mean a chicken that is not a chicken?

5. Twinner

Twinner Registered User

6. Grim

Grim Registered User

I am not using evil incarnate on random passersby! They will have to make due with a regular bird.

7. Sfinx

Sfinx Life's a riddle

haha, took me a while before i realized this thread was about the latest SoT incarnation. The chicken reference clinched it :)

And no, I'll not be buying or reading the Omen Machine. To be fair, I did enjoy the earlier instalments of SoT, but somewhere along the line things soured (actually not so much due to Goodkind's world views; more to do with chickens of war, sudden statue carving skills and unrelenting annoying characters). But like someone said: SoT, WoT, Magician - all pretty good introductions to the world of fantasy when you're in your teens (at least I thought so).

Cheers,

Sfinx.

8. Sfinx

Sfinx Life's a riddle

Goodkind meets Duncan

Can't resist posting this (taken from Twinner's link here)

OPERATION: Enhance psychic substructure. Trace Core Identity
    NARRATIVE DETECTED:

"I ****ing hate this place," says Richard.
    "Tell me about it," Kahlan says.
    Richard looks around at the Buildings of Midlands--identikit matchbox blocks built by Mudpeople with a hard-on for thatch. An extermination camp for Free Will. But it's good enough for the overspill proles, Richard supposes. No ****ing wonder the people of Midlands succumbed to a power-hungry commie pederast.

Zedd plays with his cloak, weaving it between the fingers of one hand. Richard watches him. Zedd's the girl-magnet, smooth as a shark through water. Richard's the badass, black-clad bastard, stroking his sword with sullen hostility. Gratch? Gratch is the tagalong weird kid with the big ideas.

"That's what we all are, you know?" says Kahlan as she eyes a chicken with obvious suspicion. "Just another ****ing number. They'll be tagging us like ****ing animals next. Nipple magic. ****ing chickens, bred to be vicious, bred for the ****ing army or as fodder for the Mord-Sith."

"Soldiers of the Empire," says Richard.

INFORMATION UPLOAD: Location--Schemes; Period--Book One? Two? Doesn't Matter, They're All The Same.

INTERJECT THOUGHTSTREAM.
    OPERATION: Reroute digression. Specify locale.

Richard has the weirdest feeling that he's been here before, a long time ago (at least two books ago), when he was younger. He looks around at the remorseful goat, the gore-drenched gar, the chicken that is evil manifest, and---
    "Check this out."
    Some kind of giant statue.
    Richard feels his thing rising. Reaching out, he scratches the words onto the statue's chest with his Sword of Truthiness, hears the hiss and sees his hand moving.
    GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    "What the **** does that mean?" asks Kahlan.
    "I don't know. ****, I don't know."
    Then Richard laughed. Gratch laughed. Zedd laughed. Kahlan laughed. They all laughed while Betty the Goat butted her head into Richard's stomach, looking ashamed.

ANALYSIS: Compensatory fantasies; narcissistic fixation. '

Cheers,

Sfinx.

9. Karyle

Karyle The Sophisticated Pug

Hey all, I'm new here, but I'm avid reader/collector of various Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff, so I figured I'd chime in!

I've actually got The Omen Machine on pre-order through Amazon and it should arrive on release date. Whether or not I'll get to reading it on that day I dunno (still pacing myself on Butcher's Ghost Story so that it won't be over too quickly, and I have several lined up after it) but I'm curious to see where Goodkind goes with the book.

I originally started reading his SoT books back in high school and then continued on with them every time a new one came out. I didn't think they were all great (or even all very good) but my OCD tendencies make me want to read to the end, especially after being as invested in a series as three or four books in.

I'm actually having a hard time looking forward to The Omen Machine, though. It's more a feeling of resignation. I felt like Goodkind's ending to the SoT series was pretty terrible, and I can certainly agree with many of the downfalls to that series, though I still find them fun and try not to be too judgemental. I also, for completion, picked up Law of Nines. I know that the book is supposed to be connected to the SoT series, but honestly it's one of the only books in all my life that I didn't just plow through to the end after having started it. I got a few chapters in, actually skipped ahead a bit, and read a couple more... it was honestly one of the most terrible things I've ever picked up. Just awful. It frightens me when thinking about The Omen Machine, because I felt like in Law of Nines there was just an uncanny amount of filler in order to create a giant book like his other published volumes. I don't know what it is concerning page count or word count and what it might affect (whether it be his ego, his paycheck, etc.) but my lord that book was fluffed to the point of it reading like a child's language primer.

I'm also mildly concerned that The Omen Machine apparently picks up immediately at the end of Confessor. Terry posted a blog-thing talking about his distaste for missing time in a character's story, but I can't help but feel like all he's doing is creating a series of events so packed together that they're completely unbelievable. Sure, everything was resolved at the of SoT series, but why should some new incredible threat rear its head immediately? I see nothing wrong with skipping some time in the characters' lives while keeping those characters from book to book, because it means the story you're getting is only the interesting parts (which I feel mimics life).

Oh no... I think after finally finding a place to voice these opinions/concerns (my friends and wife are avid Goodkind haters) I've talked myself out any excitement I was holding for this new book... Oh well, it's still coming in the mail, so I'll give it a go!

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Hey Karyle, welcome!

I've got to say that's a very well written post, and I'm looking forward to hearing your views on The Omen Machine, assuming you both stay here and finish it.

11. Karyle

Thank you! I'll likely be finishing up Ghost Story this week, and then I've got to finish a reading of the Hyperion Cantos I was in the middle of when Ghost Story showed up on my doorstep, and by that time I'll probably have The Omen Machine in hand. (I think it comes out on the 16 of this month, right?)

I'll be sure to post impressions as I read it. I might even try to slam through Law of Nines beforehand, but I'm afraid it will put such a bad taste in my mouth that it will suck any enjoyment I could otherwise get from The Omen Machine right out of it.

12. Heather Myst

Heather Myst Chocolate.....Count Me In

Mark,

I own all the Sword of Truth books and I have the Omen Machine on order. Even though I love the series I can't really defend Goodkind because every interview I have read by him he comes across the kind of person you would want to hookup with your ex. The shock for me is that I never though you could get a funnier picture of him than the pony tail masterpiece inside the previous books but this new mug shot is a gem. Is it just me or does he look like he has a turd in his mouth?

13. Karyle

Oh man, he really does! I wish the guy were more likeable, but I guess not everyone can be a Brandon Sanderson, eh?

14. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

LOL. Not even my ex.... :D

But this does tie in with how far you go with this. Does a good book make a bad person acceptable?

Neil Gaiman always says 'trust the tale, even when you can't trust the teller' or words to that effect.

And it is a discussion we've had on here before, when dealing with authors whose books we like but whose background we are less happy about. Heinlein and L. Ron Hubbard are two, for example, off the top of my head.

Sounds like you're going to read it, though, Heather: and why shouldn't you? You've paid for it and you hope to be entertained by it. Isn't that all a book (not necessarily an author!) is supposed to do?

Hmmm.

Mark

15. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

I read Wizards' First Rule in 1997 a few months after it came out in UK paperback and about eight years before I ever read a single interview with the guy. Until about 2005 I had no idea at all he was this controversial figure in the genre. At the time I read WFR I thought it was one of the worst novels I'd ever read in my entire life up to that point (not as bad as Kevin J. Anderson, obviously, but in that ballpark), and gave up on the series a bit into the second novel. And this was back when my tolerance for bad fantasy was much higher than it was now.

So I certainly don't dislike his books because it's the zeitgeisty and cool thing to do. I just thought the first one was so fricking horrendous that I was not moved to read on into the series. This, "The first one or two are okay then it goes downhill," viewpoint I've seen commonly expressed was really not my experience at all (but then again my views of opening novels in series rarely match the common experience; I think Gardens of the Moon is one of the best books in that series and it took me a long time to warm to A Game of Thrones, which I was much more meh about the first time I read it, though I enjoy it much more now).

16. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

I've read Eddings, Feist and Brooks. I've read the criticism concerning these works as being standard fair, cliched, stereotype fantasy fiction. Perhaps they are. I still found something, undefinable for me, to like about them. I read WFR after coming to SFFWorld. Partially because it was a large selling series, and part because of everything I had seen written negatively about Goodkind. I tend to distrust the mob, and so I chose to read WFR thinking I might actually like it. I did not.

17. murf99

murf99 Registered User

I have it pre-ordered. Along with Shannara, SoT is nostalgic for me. I broke into the fantasy genre when I was a teen reading Brooks and Goodkind, and have always looked forward to the next book in the series. Believe it or not I've actually really enjoyed them all. Well not so much Law of Nines ;)

18. Gustaf Hagel

Gustaf Hagel Formerly imaster

What did he do that´s so horrendous? :confused:

19. Spears&Buckler

Spears&Buckler MJ Dusseault

It's more than likely his strong opinions on same-sex marriage. He's pretty extreme regarding that issue.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

And he actively tries to prevent laws for same-sex people, and he donates money to organisations which rally against same-sex laws.