The Passage by Justin Cronin - the $5 million novel

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Werthead, Apr 19, 2010.

1. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

You could easily read it as a standalone.

2. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

I really don't think you could. The fate of a number of characters are left hanging in the balance at the end of the novel. Maybe if you finished the book early and didn't read the last few chapters and left them until the sequel comes out in 2012.

3. Andols

Andols I like stories

Pretty much everything from the return of the nun, to her blowing up babcock with a bomb left around for 50 years. all of the characters you invested 400 pages into just got "to be continued" in about 50 pages. I alos didnt realize it would be part of a series, so that anticipation of a real ending and subsequent dissapointment was also bad for me.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. DurzoBlint

I came out of The Passage with it having an open ending. As the spoiler above seems to wrap it all up in a nice little bow. The book was in no way worth the $5 mil he was paid. I also have no desire to read anything else from Cronin as I thought it was tripe.

5. Pvt

Pvt Registered User

It was definately not worth 5 million dollars, but it seems multiple publishers must have gotten into a bidding war over it and I really don't understand why. I'm not all that familiar with the vampire genre, but are there no other books out there that are similiar to this?

6. DurzoBlint

I thought it was a direct rip off of Stephen Kings The Stand only instead of a deadly disease we have vampires. Which is why it turned me off early on in the novel.

7. Andols

Andols I like stories

it just felt so jagged. all these characters finally get paired down to a few you can enjoy again, have very little impact on the climax of the book, then they all get clifhangered.

8. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

The "worth" is all about how much the publishers think the book will make - or sometimes there is bidding that inflates prices...

I mean if Dan Brown is worth millions, or the memoirs of the latest hot politician/celebrity...

As for the book itself, I am definitely interested in more but it's not that big asap, whenever I get my hand of a copy is fine - this one I intended to check on publication but i got an unasked arc and I opened it and got hooked

9. KatG

KatG The Bony Hand of Death Staff Member

1) Respected contemporary fiction author who is already known to most major reviewers and media outlets.

2) Film deal and one where the movie stood a good chance of being made. The deal hadn't been made when the book rights were sold, but they knew the agent was shopping it and that there was interest. Even if the movie comes out and doesn't do that well, it will shoot up sales onto the bestseller list.

3) Book auction. When you are competing with several publishers for the rights of what is getting a lot of buzz, that drives up the risk-taking on the advance.

4) They liked it and thought readers would like it too.

It's a gamble, and they've lost big on such gambles before. But it seems to have done okay on the lists, people liked it and reviewed it well and did word of mouth, and if they get the film, they'll make it back.

10. Sipwood

Sipwood Registered User

I have just finished the book, and thought it was great. Extremely well written, characters I genuinely cared for, and a very good mix of action and storytelling. I can see why this was once touted for a movie, some of the action set pieces just appeared in my mind like a movie.

5 out of 5 from me, definitely.

As for some of the problems that other readers have mentioned:

I had a little problem at first with the whole psychic child coincidence, but then just let it go. I mean, if I am buying into a world where vampires were living in South America I can see that psychics can exist. Yes, it is certainly a coincidence that she was the one chosen to be the child injected with the virus, but then I think that a lot of the book had a "higher power looking over us" type feel (the nun, the mysterious ghost that saved Theo) and I was able to live with this.

I really enjoyed the ending. I felt it left me wanting more, and I found the epilogue section very moving, particularly the final few words. However, I may be lucky in that the sequel is coming out soon, so I do not have to wait very long for the next installment. I also did not realise that this was not a stand alone book when I first started to read it, and had I had read it in 2010 to then find out that I had to wait a few years to find out what happens next I may have been a little more annoyed.

I found the split a third of the way through a little unusual, but again nothing I could not live with. I think I enjoyed the characters in the later two thirds of the book more anyway, and once I got over the initial "jar" of the change of scenery I think this was ok.

11. CFogle21

CFogle21 Registered User

The Twelve comes out on the 16th. Can't wait to get started on it.

12. Snowy

Snowy Registered User

I must admit I enjoyed The Passage, but I did have to work for it. I get the feeling that it really is a Marmite book, you will love it or hate it.

I really got into the first part (the book is split into two very distinct halves, almost two separate books) and expected a disintegration of society much like Stephen King's 'Stand'. When I didn't get it, I did feel a bit cheated. The book suddenly fast forwarding so many years caught me out, and having to put aside the characters from the first half and start again with a new bunch was jarring. I also struggled to get my head around who was who in the second half, which led to my not being very attached to them.

I persisted and did enjoy it, in fact it is a book I think would benefit from another read-through (I think it would be better second time around), if only the second half.

I have the sequel pre-ordered, it will drop onto my Kindle in a couple of weeks when it is released over here.

13. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The Twelve

14. KatG

KatG The Bony Hand of Death Staff Member

Vampire lineages as the back-door against overwhelming odds loophole? That's making me less interested. Actually, just the fact of having a back-door against overwhelming odds loophole makes me less interested. But the flashback parts sound interesting.

15. Snowy

Snowy Registered User

Just past the 50 percent mark and I must say I am enjoying this a lot more than the first instalment. This may be due to the premise having already been established - with the first book the story effectively stopped half way in and then restarted following 'the event', whereas this time the event is pre-existing so Cronin has more time to characterise and tell a coherent story. I was particularly pleased to see the inclusion of vignettes of experience at, during and after the event - some of the individuals I am sure will feature further as the story develops, but it was something I looked forward to in the first book and did not feature.

Anyhow, time to read on. More thoughts once I finish it.

16. sic's mom

sic's mom I want to be a princess

Well I am coming late to this party. Just started it a few days ago, havent had a whole lot of time to read because of the holiday. But I will admit that I am really liking it. Am about halfway through and I am one of those that loves worldbuilding. Yes some of what I have read doesn't make a lot of sense yet but I trust the author will wrap it all up in time. Maybe the end of the trilogy, but I can already tell that I will read all three. I read The Stand years ago and it is still one of my faves, and I know people compare these two. And in some ways, yes they do compare. But in others they don't. You don't see all the little stories of the virus spreading, but I love the community aspect, which I don't think King did as well. And I also love the 97 year jump. It's easy to imagine the world just a year or two after the "event" but I like to see how the human race has progressed and survived. So far I love this one, and hoping I get gift cards for Christmas to buy The Twelve.