The Positivity Cover Art Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by KatG, Jun 12, 2009.

1. KatG

KatG The Bony Hand of Death Staff Member

Amir Zand has done another really interesting cover for Lucas Thorn's Nysta series, Book 2 which is called Duel at Grimwood Creek. It's in keeping with the first one (see back in the thread a bit,) but with a different color palate. This image may be too large -- I'm having sizing problems:

[​IMG]

Yeah, it is and I can't resize it here. Here's the first one by Zand:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Are we allowed to show nipples on SFFW? *winky face*

But they are pretty, even if I've got an eyebrow raised over her 'armour'.

3. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

Whoah! Some serious hair gel issues going on there! I'm no great fan of the whole moody bare/large-breasted female warrior in scanty armour holding something pointy shtick (put those eyebrows back down, Loer) but I actually like that second one.

The word 'elf' twice on one cover though....

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I can't. My eyebrow appears to be stuck.

5. KatG

She's not wearing armor. It's a Western-flavored secondary world -- think Outlaw Josey Wales, not Sir Lancelot. And she's an elf, so hair does that. The images are impressionistic, not recreations of scenes. (Also, reminder, Positivity cover art thread.)

6. KatG

I'm also very much liking Tim Marquitz's covers, which are all different from each other. His Blood War trilogy has a kind of retro, kind of almost wood block look to it, very different from his Demon Squad series cover look, for Embers of an Age:

[​IMG]

And then his new horror novel, Prey, has a third, gruesome funky look I like:

[​IMG]

7. Lucas Thorn

Lucas Thorn Cthulhu's Red Bucket

i'm totally with you on the "armour". i wanted to avoid the cliche of underdressed character, so she's never described the way she's portrayed on the cover (ie: no tight latex or skimpy tops). in amir's defence, he convinced me he was trying for something barbaric to suit the character's violent tendencies. i gave in because my wife loved it. in fairness, it captures the essence of the character more than the actual physical description, so i was happy with it. plus it does look impactful to me. i was desperate that the character be posed "strong" rather than "erotic", too. i hope we can admit that nipple or no, she's not exactly looking weak?

fingers crossed. :)

i guess the story also tries to sit in a violent "sword and sorcery" mixed with "western" genre, so i was going for something like a modernised impressionist version of an old conan cover...

p.s. glad everyone loves the hair. :)

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Oh, definitely not. It's just something that can really get my goat. But they do look good regardless of that, I'll admit.

9. Lucas Thorn

Lucas Thorn Cthulhu's Red Bucket

:) totally understand. i'm actually the same. thanks for the comments, though. i did wonder if people liked those covers as much as i did (and would be forgiving on the armour).

edit: reminds me of early gemmell covers for druss. there's some old covers which have druss portrayed as a swordsman... :p sometimes the outside isn't quite what's on the inside. but it should always give an idea of the writing style, i think.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Dread to think what the UK covers for Wild Cards say about Martin's editing, then.

11. nuttz96

nuttz96 Registered User

Something about this just makes me all happy inside
    [​IMG]

Thought that this was a nice archaic look.
    [​IMG]

And here is an awesome cover for the upcoming 4th book of a really good YA series that is relatively unknown.
    [​IMG]

Although not a cover, I just recently finished a YA book called Mortal Engines and found this fan art. Just holy crap beautiful!
    [​IMG]

12. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

Although the last is great - and the Mortal Engines books are cracking good reads I wouldn't have called it fan art. It's by David Wyatt who is a professional illustrator. http://www.david.wyatt.btinternet.co.uk/. He's worked on other books by Philip Reeves like the Larklight books (which are also rippingly good yarns.)

EDIT: and a quick poke about tells me that that image was used on a hardback reprint of Mortal Engines
    http://all-lit-up-blog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/mortal-engines.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  13. kissmequick

kissmequick bingley bingley beep

Holy hell, I was at school with him! I still have one of his drawings around here somewhere...Had no doubt he'd become an illustrator though - he was always phenomenal

14. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

I really like that Mortal Engines cover. Similar to the Chris Wooding covers for Ketty Jay. The Monster Hunters International reminds me I need to pick that book up.

15. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Art by Paul Kidby.

[​IMG]

16. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Very different images, but both I think effective for their books,

[​IMG]

The bear nags me a bit, recalling Coca-Cola commercials, but the cover as a whole I find striking.

[​IMG]

I don't think this one would work with color. B&w is perfect and I think fits the subject matter well. (Sorry for the size. I'm not sure how to shrink it down.)

Randy M.

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Even the basic image programmes on your PC should be able to resize it, Randy, and some uploading sites (e.g. imageshack) allow you to put size restrictions on your uploads. If you're not sure, I'll be glad to do it all for you (it's no issue, only takes me a moment) in future. Just drop a PM.

And here's the smaller image:
    [​IMG]

I do like that anthology cover. I think I had it on order but I must have cancelled, but I don't remember doing that. Mustn't have ordered it then. It reminds me somewhat of Mike Mignola's work (particularly the hooded skeleton at the back), and also Guy Davis' stuff.

18. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Thanks, Loerwyn. I don't recall loading images here before, so I was experimenting a bit. I'll play with it some more in future.

I was also reminded of Mignola's work. I'm not often inspired by that graphic novel illustration on bookcovers, but I find this one striking.

Randy M.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

No problem, Randy. If it's any help, the unofficial 'rule' for images is to have them no taller than 600 pixels. Imageshack allows you to restrict an image size to 800x600 when you upload it via their webpage (not via their uploader programme, IIRC), which means it'll resize it for you. Also worth noting that .jpg files are better as they tend to be a smaller file size which means they'll load much quicker. But I'm sure some members won't have a clue what I've just said, so if anyone wants a hand or would rather get someone else to do it for them, then I'll be open to doing that for people.

20. nuttz96

nuttz96 Registered User

Although it doesn't quite fit the title, I still really like the cover for "The Daylight War".

[​IMG]

February 4th 2013!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012