The Stupid Question Thread-GRRM [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by kged, Sep 7, 2006.

1. hyperchord24

hyperchord24 Registered User

Jorah sold the slaves instead of giving them to the watch, right? They were going to have his head for that and that's why he fled, right?

2. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Jorah should have offered the poachers the opportunity to take the black, yes. However, the fact he didn't has no bearing on the Night's Watch: they only deal with people sent to them, not punishing those who don't send people to them. That's their liege lords' job, in this case Eddard's.

In Jeor Mormont's case, Bear Island suffers from the depredations of the wildlings more than any other Northern house, since ice-raiders from the Frozen Shore can cross over and raid the island almost at will. So when Jeor saw that Jorah had become a great hero and a worthy lord, he left Bear Island to him and dedicated his last few years to the Watch. When Jorah buggered off, that left Jeor unable to come back and he had to watch his younger sister become Lord instead, something he's not too happy about.

3. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

Cheers Wert - a sad tale indeed. And interesting that you point out the thing about wildings raiding over a frozen bay, I hadn't considered that. Quite the opposite, in fact. A glance at the map led me to think Bear Island would be safely isolated, and even while I was reading your post I was thinking "how do they raid the Island?". I was forgetting how chilly it gets up there.

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Registered User

I have a question about Dorne. During the war -- which was what, 20 years before the Game of Thrones events? -- the Mad King Aegon's wife Ella and children are killed during the overthrow of Aegon, and the wife was a princess from Dorne so Dorne is ticked. Makes sense. But it seems that at some point just before our timeline -- i.e. longgg after Ella is killed, the then prince of Dorne leaves home to investigate the death, challenges the killer to a duel and loses.

I must be missing something because I dont get it. Why would he wait so damn long to find out how Ella and the kids really died, and/or seek revenge?

5. tragic

tragic sultan of smug

Dorne sided with Aerys, so they probably weren't too keen on rocking the boat with the new king. In addition to which, Doran Martell is a patient soul and plans long ahead - it's Oberyn who finally stomps up to King's Landing, by all accounts more of a hothead than his big brother.

6. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

How long exactly was Robert's Rebellion before GoT?

'Cause TV-Cat says 'Seventeen-years-ago you left to go South to war,'.

George says, in some part of ADDW (Maybe the continuity bit at the beggining, or an early chapter) that it was 15-years ago.

Yet, Dany was born during the slaughter and she was thirteen. Jon was born sometime during? And he was 14/15?

How many years did this thing last? xD

7. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

In both the books and TV show, the events of 'the series' begin in 298 AL. In the books, Robert's Rebellion begins in 282 and end in 283. Daenerys is conceived in 283, maybe just a few weeks before Aerys' death, and born eight months later in 284 (she starts GoT at 13 and turns 14 a little while later).

In the TV series, they had to account for Dany, Robb and Jon all being older. So in the TV series the war ends in 281. How long the TV version of the war lasts, or when Dany was born, are not expanded on. The discrepency between the TV and book durations of the war are deliberate.

Dorne was considering siding with Viserys and letting the war rage on, but Jon Arryn came to Sunspear and negotiated with Doran. He basically said the war was over and the rest of the Seven Kingdoms would invade Dorne if that happened. So Doran agreed to accept the status quo and he restrained Oberyn, who was all for continuing the war no matter what. Doran and Oberyn rarely or never left Dorne after that. They weren't happy at all, but they were also backed into a corner. I also wonder if Jon sweetened the deal by agreeing to respect Dornish autonomy more than they had done previously; Dorne was apparently not really involved much in the rest of the Seven Kingdoms from the end of the civil war until the start of the War of the Five Kings.

What changed things was Tyrion offering Doran a seat on the small council and hinting that 'the justice' might be served (i.e. Tyrion would give them Gregor Clegane). Unfortunately, Doran sent his hotheaded brother Oberyn instead. Oberyn would have come at any time in the previous 15-odd years, but he took advantage of the specific invitation by Tyrion that justice would be done and basically played the situation for all it was worth, culminating in him taking Tyrion's side in the trial by battle.

8. Luya Sevrein

Thanks Wert. I thought it musta' lasted 2 years or something.

So, I guess Dany, Viserys and her mother were couped up in Dragonstone then? I always thought she escaped during the rebellion.

9. TooNice

TooNice Banned

I love the Dornish, I wish its characters had more focus.

10. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

"What is dead can never die; but rises again, harder, and stronger."

Will that prove true of Theon's lost male-part?

11. Luya Sevrein

.....Ahahahahaha.

What a spoiler.

12. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Does anyone who closely follows the series know if there are any hints as to what the endgame is for Mopatis-Varys? Clearly they are working together, seemingly with a distinct goal in mind, but I've not yet reasoned it out - other than perhaps bringing Daenarys to Westeros to rule and reign.

13. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

My guess is getting a Targaryen on the throne, but that doesn't necessarily mean Dany.

14. Luya Sevrein

I'd be so happy if there wasn't a Targaryen on the throne. It was never their land, pssh.

15. Malthar

Malthar Reek rhymes with geek

From what I could tell in ADWD, Princes Doran and Oberyn were working in concert. The Viper served Dorne's vengeance, but Doran kept him cool for years until the time was ripe.

16. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

A particularly dull question ~

What is a year?

In our world, at ASoIaF's approximate level of social and scientific progress, a year was simply one Summer to the next, or one Winter, one Christmas, whatever. But they don't have that pattern to work from. So how come everyone seems to know how old they are, how many years ago things happened, etc? How do they keep the record?

17. molybdenum

molybdenum Analyze That

That is a fantastic question.

I'm waiting for Wert to come in with a response. Did they simply set a time that roughly corresponds to our calendar? Do the days still get longer and shorter, even if there is no winter or summer? Do the maesters just know from some old ridiculous magic?

It may just be something that wasn't really thought of when the world was being constructed. I certainly never thought of it.

18. Vooloc

Vooloc Lord Of Mejik

heres my dumb question, and what makes it even dumber is that i only finished adwd a few hours ago.
    Jons last chapter, he announces he wants to ride on Winterfell and gets all the support he needs and then to walks outside and get stabbed by a couple of his fellow watchmen? why??

19. thirstyVan

thirstyVan the Thirsty

Because

they think he's betraying them. He's sending the Watch on to Hard Home, which they suspect is a trap to get them killed, and taking the Wildings, whom the Watch hate and despise (or at least, many of those in the watch and certainly those who betrayed him) south to "conquer" Winterfell (thereby breaking his vows). It actually makes perfect sense, and Jon has no business going to Winterfell.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if Melisandre had a hand in his "betrayal", knowing she could probably save him, to keep him at the Wall where he belongs...

20. Vooloc

Vooloc Lord Of Mejik

yes thats what i thought was the reason but i was a bit confused because 5 minutes earlier they were all in the hall cheering on going down to rid the north of the boltons.