The Warded Man...opinions?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Michigan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

So I just started reading it, seemed to get mentioned alot around here and this is where I go to find new book ideas. Anyways i'm only about 100 pages in and i'm not overly impressed. The premise seems interesting, the writing keeps me interested, it's certainly not a chore to read, but it still seems second rate. The characters don't seem believeable at all, a bunch of grownups acting like kids and kids acting somewhere between spoiled brats and adults. Maybe it's just because all the main characters are still kids, or it being his Bretts first book (I think). Right now I would probably put it somewhere in between Brandon Sanderson and Kate Elliot. No need to go spoiler heavy as i'm pretty early in the book, just looking for some other opinions and discussion.

2. TheEvilKing

TheEvilKing Registered User

I got a bit further than you, to about 120 pages, and decided it was rubbish and put the damn thing down. Similar reasons to yourself. I thought the dialogue is really, really poor, which made the characters quite cartoonish. But it's very highly rated round here.

3. mars

mars Registered User

I managed to read through the whole book, felt sick most of the time (allergy to cliches and predictable plots)

4. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

i finished this recently. It is indeed full of cliches and predictable in plot twists, but I found it entertaining and well paced. I would say it is a good beach novel, so if you don't expect it revolutionize the genre or rock you off your feet, it is worth trying as an adventure romp.
    I'm now reading the Desert Spear, and the series remains decently written and fast, but a little less engaging than the first book. The focus is on a different character, and the whole desert culture portrayed here is a little politically incorrect by exclusively focusing on violence and religious intolerance. I know it's a fantasy world and the author should write whatever he feels it belongs in his setting, but it still bothers me.

5. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

I'm with you. Personally, I thought the book was awful. It had a solid idea behind it, but the execution fell flat. The writing was atrocious. While I've only read Elantris by Sanderson, and haven't read Elliott, I'd put Sanderson above this one (and I wasn't a huge fan of Elantris either)

6. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I thought the books were good. The characters a little thin. But, if you like the dark demon realm type story, it's a good read. It's nowhere near GRRM or Abercrombie, but it's still worth reading. My biggest complaint was how they evolved Leesha.

7. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I had a hard time getting into the book but ended up enjoying it well enough. I thought that the second one was better, but most fans of the series seem to think the opposite. As it is for me, the next book will probably be a first day purchase, but I wouldn't put another book down for it. But I'd say the writing is a few steps up from "atrocious", which seems like a decent bit of hyperbole to me.

8. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

9. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

Thanks alot for pointing me towards that spoiler heavy thread when I said in the initial post to avoid spoilers.

10. sdelu

sdelu Registered User

I'll just go ahead and add another "AWFUL" to the list.

Hated it with a passion. It is not worthy of the praise it gets at all. I couldn't finish it, and that is a very, very rare thing.

I also think Brett's writing is less than impressive.

And don't even get me started on the sex. Very much mishandled.

11. s271

s271 Repudiated Ursus

Couldn't get into it either. Premises were seems too contrived too me, no gripping plot, no deep characters. Dropped after ~100 pages

12. Ornery Wyvern

Ornery Wyvern 50% Certain

Thoroughly enjoyed it and the follow up, been a bit too long for me to give a detailed critique. I enjoyed the Desert Spear a great deal to and look forward to the next installment.

13. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Ah that sucks. Shame on you Rob! =)
    I think Rob would rather everyone just read really old threads that are related rather than posting their own new ones. Effectively killing the activity of this forum.
    :confused:

14. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

No, I wasn't using hyperbole. I thought it was that bad. To me it read like something a high school student would write. Actually, I liked Eragon better, if that's saying something. At least the author was actually a kid.

The pacing was off, the characters were two dimensional cardboard cut outs, and the descriptions were just off. Some things needed to be expanded on, while others needed to be cut down, and I think it could have used a couple more re-writes. To me, it read as a first draft minus the spelling errors I'd expect to find in a first draft. In all honesty, it was a complete waste of my time and money. I really do not understand the appeal it seems to have on here.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  15. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I disagree with much of what you said about the book, outside of that things could have been expanded upon and somewhat awkward sentence structure. I certainly did not enjoy Eragon better, but that is just me. There are things that make me bulk when reading a story which are probably different from what you look for. Which is why to me "atrocious" is hyperbole. To you it is that bad, to me certainly not, and apparently not to his publisher or editor either. You didn't enjoy it and cannot understand the appeal, which I can appreciate, but I have a hard time when people approach criticizing a book in such a harsh way.

16. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

My apologies, Michigan. I didn't re-read the whole thread I linked.

Chris, not so. Just that it seems some topics com up quite often and sometimes, having all the discussion in one place is better than people repeating themselves five times over.

17. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I know, I'm just giving you crap. Most times it is very helpful!

18. Alle

Alle A Fantasy Freak

I didn't much care for the book either...I finished book 1 and have no plans to continue with the series. My reasons are pretty much summed by others here: clumsy writing, cardboard characters, poor dialogue etc. Not worth the time or money imo. :)

19. Tiltowait

Tiltowait Registered User

I'm not reading the other responses yet to give you a gut-reaction reply:

It's a good yarn. A new magic system is always fun for me, and the simplicity reminds me of some golden-age fantasy (Zelazny for example). Not polished, could use improvement in a lot of ways, but the flaws don't bog down the pace and I liked it.

I liked the sequel less. But I'll continue to read the series.

20. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

Well, mostly I just wanted to give you a hard time because I agree with Chris and don't like always being steered towards three year old threads that scare off readers and discussion. In fact this thread seems to have a very different tone then the other one which seemed mostly full of praise. So things are not necessarily just being repeated. The spoiler wasn't that big of a deal.