U.S. publishing rights to Steven Erikson's books

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Warewolf, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Warewolf

Warewolf Fanboy Extraordinaire!

So I got frustrated with not being able to buy Steven Erikson's books in the U.S. What did I do? I used the power of the Internet to try to do something about it. I went to company websites and sent e-mails to Tor, Bantam Spectra, DAW, Del Rey, Harper Collins/Eos, and Warner/Aspect asking why no one had picked up the rights. Here's the e-mail I sent:

I've received 2 responses so far, both from DAW. Thought you'd be interested in reading them:

and then later

My thinking is, if more people wrote in to various publishers asking about Mr. Erikson's work, it would eventually be published here.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

[This message has been edited by Warewolf (edited March 15, 2002).]

2. DarthV

DarthV Sith Lord

Why not just order them from Chapters.ca ? With the canadian dollar valued so low vs the USD, the shipping fees will probably balance out ?

3. Hans

Hans New Member

Warewolf, I like the Idea. I might use it, Send one from each of my different emails. lol. But as I'm in the UK, I can normally get hold of mosts books from amazon.co.uk, including US books.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Well done Warewolf!

Big big respect for actually doing something about this. Did you point out some of the things said 'round here about Erikson (or the Malazan message board) for the bigwigs at DAW to have a look at?

It's nice to see that you got a reply, at least - though time will tell if it's just a polite brush-off.

Now's the time to claim your 10% commission! [​IMG]

Hobbit

5. Qin

Qin Banned

Heh. I simply politely asked my father to pick up Gardens of the Moon during his layover in London [​IMG]

6. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

I hope Daw to publish him as they have nice sized hardcovers. Slightly smaller than the norm.

7. Qin

Qin Banned

I've looked....and I've looked...and I've looked some more. And I still can't find a picture of the map from Erikson's books. I can find one for Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, even (god forbid) Shannara, but not Malazan. And I don't know how to explain this odd discrepancy.

8. estranghero

estranghero Lord Deceiver

I know what you mean, Qin.

Had to ask my parents to pick up the books in US but my dad only got the 2nd book, Deadhouse Gates, in their stopover in Canada. Very frustrating not being able to read it because don't have the first book, Gardens of the Moon.

Actually, the 2nd book has maps, lotsa 'em. Looks good too. I could scan 'em and send it to you.

9. Qin

Qin Banned

Hero, if you could do that, I'll give you a cookie! [​IMG]

10. estranghero

I'll take a big-@$$ chocolate-chip one, pls! [​IMG]

11. Qin

Qin Banned

*Bakes a batch of chocolate chip cookies*

12. Lawson

Lawson New Member

After the buzz I've heard for Erikson in this forum, I went out and found Gardens of the moon in paperback. I'm only in the UK for two more months before I head back to the US, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find his stuff in the US, other than ordering from the UK or canada. SO, I hope this is a good book, you've all recommended it so highly!

13. estranghero

Hey Qin, you get that map already? I sent it over your email at... wotmania???... but it was kinda big (was using my scanner to send email for the first time so I'm kinda clumsy at this). If not, tell me so I can fix it.

14. Qin

Qin Banned

Thank you ! You're my new hero Estranghero [​IMG]

The picture could have been cropped a bit at the bottom, but that's a real problem and I can no doubt fix that myself. At least I finally have an idea what Malazan looks like, and I have you thank for it!

15. estranghero

No problem, just playing around with my new toys. For a technophobe like me, it's a real hurdle to get myself to run something as simple as a scanner... [​IMG]

16. Qin

Qin Banned

I need to check my grammar before I post...

>>>but that's a real problem and I can no doubt fix that myself

It should have said "but that's no real problem and I can no doubt fix that myself."

17. numbersix

numbersix New Member

Could you make the e-mail addresses of the relavant publishers available to us? Having finished the first book, I'm astonished that I have to order them through Amazon.ca!

18. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

The main publishers here in the UK (which is where a lot of people seem to be getting them from!) is Bantam Books (part of Random House), so I would've thought Random House link might do the trick.

Hobbit

19. Thafallenone

Thafallenone Registered User

Does anyone know why i have trouble getting 'house of chain's' in holland? The other books are easily gettable but i cant seem to get this one.

20. numbersix

numbersix New Member

I think that many of the publishers must not have read past the first 100 or so pages of his first book. It took me a week to read the first 100 pages, and two days to read the remaining 600. I almost wish he would write a prequel novel which would ease the reader into his world more gently. I *do* wish that publishers read the whole work before rejecting it (assuming my foggy idea about how this process works is anywhere close to accurate).