Very Sad News about Iain M Banks

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by starman03, Apr 3, 2013.

1. starman03

starman03 Registered User

Just found out that Iain Banks, creator of the Culture and numerous non sf works, has announced that he has terminal cancer and is unlikely to live beyond the year :(

I'll post the link to the statement on his website:

http://www.iain-banks.net/2013/04/03/a-personal-statement-from-iain-banks/

Devastating news, I'm gutted. Banks is a genius and I wish him all the very best.

2. Andols

Andols I like stories

Thats terrible news. Im not a Culture fan but he's been a staple in recent sf and a terrific writer in general. Hope he has an amazing time with what time he has left.

3. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Month™

Terrible news.

4. Sipwood

Sipwood Registered User

One of my favorite authors. Very sad news.

5. Andrew Leon Hudson

Andrew Leon Hudson sf-icionado / horror-ator

Coming across The Player of Games was a turning point in my life as a reader, it's one of the books that lies on the boundary of my adulthood. However much longer he has, he'll deserve more.

6. Cirias

Cirias Wirt's Fourth Leg

I loved Walking On Glass and my wife is a massive fan of his and was selected to advance review Stonemouth ahead of its publication. His website seems to be down at the moment, but I read somewhere that there's due to be a new website where fans can post messages for Iain. Really sad news.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

Just changed the title to make it a little clearer, starman. Hope that's OK.

This has been a major shock. Can't believe I was sat at a table having a chat and a curry with Iain at Novacon about 18 months ago. Totally wonderful. His enthusiasm & sense of humour was just a joy. Iain discussed anything and everything, from politics to computer games to TV, as well as SF. But what got me most was his willingness to listen, even when he didn't agree. He was generally interesting in just chatting. ("I don't get out much when I'm writing", was his excuse, if I remember right.)

Iain has done *so* much in the UK in defending SF to all those literati who wondered when he was going to stop writing 'that space stuff rubbish'.

Always great to listen to. If you're not sure, try Iain on Desert Island Discs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/c5a41e86#p009446p

The website is also up and running: http://friends.banksophilia.com/ Go to the Guestbook if you want to leave a message.
    Still in shock over this, personally.

8. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Wow. This is awful. Sounds like he's taking about as well as one can. He's a brilliant writer, one of my favorites. I'm not sure what else to say. This is very sad.

9. Rulkez

Rulkez Registered User

This is saddening :(

Banks is the author that kindled my love of books and reading, he will be a massive loss to UK Sci-Fi.

10. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

thanks Hobbit for the link. He's still here, so the best we can do is to show our support and appreciation for the many wondrous moments he gave us.

11. Jerjo

Jerjo Member

Heartbreaking news. He brought me back to reading space operas. His Culture universe was the likes of which we will never see again.

12. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

Genuinely upset by this. Damn it.

13. Cyn

Cyn Registered User

Terrible news indeed. The Wasp Factory was one of the first 'proper' novels I read and have enjoyed many of his works since. Actually I'm halfway through The Algebraist right now.

He always seems a top bloke in interviews too.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Banks is a name I'm certainly familiar with, but sadly one I've never read. But when I saw this story hit I was saddened quite a lot by it, and the impact it's had on people was visible straight away. I must have seen seven or eight back-to-back tweets about it at one point.

In what's ultimately a hollow gesture, I picked up Consider Phlebas today. It won't change anything, I know, but it seemed like the right thing.

My thoughts are with Banks and his family, and I hope they can make the most of the time available to them.

15. Lucas Thorn

Lucas Thorn Cthulhu's Red Bucket

i'm shattered. i'd pretty much given up on reading scifi a long long time ago (in a galaxy far...). i admit to always having been a bit more of a fantasy person. then i was given a proof copy of the algebraist (loved working in bookshops). it sat on my bookshelf for a year.

one rainy day (as the stories go), i was kind of bored and thought i'd give it a shot. three weeks later, i'd read everything i could from him. drank it down like it was a really fine bottle of wine.

i still don't know any other scifi authors who really grab me like he does. i don't know that i can cope without a culture book to look forward to.

16. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

Sometimes life just utterly sucks. I had just discovered Banks, mostly due to this website and really liked his writing (Player of Games is coming up on my TBRP). To me he is one of the more fascinating writers that I have recently come across. It is my fervent hope that he is one of the lucky ones who beats the disease and drives it into remission. There are so many more tales to spin and viewpoints to be shared.
    Damn cancer is the scourge of our lifetime taking more lives that any other disease, war, environmental or manmade calamity that I could think of; almost unnoticed and uncommented by the media. It's taken the lives of both of my parents and one of my In-laws. Sad news indeed.

17. symbolhunter

symbolhunter Science-Fantasy Zealot

That is such terrible news. The Player of Games, Feersum Endjinn, and Consider Phlebas are three of my favourite science fiction novels.

18. asianricedude

asianricedude New Member

hey guys. bump :D

just an update. i've been thinking about him a lot lately cause I'm pretty upset about the news.

iain was quoted saying “Assuming it is an option I’ll probably try chemo and see how I react but if it wipes me out I shan’t be persevering.”

but, as the article says, he's been vacationing and bought a BMW: “I am back to scudding round the Highland roads again with a big grin on my fizzog.” :)

as this develops, would anybody else want to get together to maybe send an email to his publisher to express our thoughts and prayers?

link:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...give-chemotherapy-a-chance.html#ixzz2VZ3rpWv4

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I have absolutely no words. A tweet by Charles Stross has confirmed that Iain Banks has passed away (source). I don't think anyone expected it to happen so soon, and I must confess to being shocked by it.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

20. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

Just to confirm: various sources are saying that Iain passed away this morning (Sunday 9th June) after taking a turn for the worse. Not unexpected, but still a shock.

As I said above, Iain was a lovely guy, great to sit with, with a beer and a curry, never mind his obvious skills elsewhere.

Really thought he was going to make it to his last novel. Damn.

RIP Iain.

M.