What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by milamber_reborn, Jul 18, 2003.

1. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

Well I've been mucking about with:

Dungeon Defenders- coop multiplayer, build a base, defend against baddies etc. Worth the sale price but doesn't hit me as a classic

Frozen Synapse- awesome tactical game. It's one that strategy gamers should look up IMHO. There is virtually no luck, nearly 100% tactics as you try to outmanouvre and outhink your opponent's squad. Turn based. A lot of planning resulting in a fist punching the air or a 'oh crap how do I recover from this?' Tense with a decent soundtrack to boot - go look up the youtube reviews.

Gemini Rue- very Phillip K Dick type atmosphere- I'm only an hr or so into this adventure but it's very engrossing so far.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Didn't realise you were into indies, FB!

I should probably try and finish the campaign of Dawn of War II: Retribution this week. I'm playing as the Imperial Guard, and it's sort of fun.

3. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I've been playing this too (along with MW3 and Battlefield 3) and it's great to be playing the original campaign in better graphics.

If this is your introduction to Halo and you like it, you've got a whole lot more fun to be had!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

My buddy and I got a couple missions into the Ork campaign and it was fun times, especially doing it two player co-op. It's wonderful to see the Ork mindset in action. "We gotta kill them panzees that zogged my ship!" "Foolish monster, there are only a few Eldar in this sector and we would appreciate any help you could offer with the Chaos forces who did destroy your ship." "Right when we're done crumping them panzees we're comin for you!" Like trying to use a forest fire as a weapon.

I'm still playing the crap out of Arkham City. I can't tell if the comments of one of the side characters are about what happens later on in the story of this game or if he's prognosticating about the story of a future game. It's a shame Mark Hammill is done being the Joker though the parts of this game without him weren't nearly as much fun.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I like shooting the Orks ;) "Dem humies be comin', boyz!" They go down with such a satisfying splat, but they do put up a bit of a fight - especially those walkers they use.

I'd heard it was his last time as the Joker too, but apparently Mark has come out since and said it might not be - Not exactly sure. He is a very good Joker, though, I'd say the best by far.

6. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

What do you make of DOW retribution? Does it add much to DOW2 and chaos rising?

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Yeah, the freedom from Games for Windows Live :p You're still tied to Steam, though, but that's not too much of a bad thing.

It does, but not. Instead of the campaign being just for one faction, instead it's basically a one-size-fits-all deal for all six races (Eldar, Imperial Guard, Orks, Chaos, Space Marines, Tyranids) but there's some nice variety in the missions. The load out of your armies is different, too, instead of improving your squads like you did in the first two, you have four heroes per faction and aside from the "main" hero, they can either be used as themselves or you can replace them with an honour guard with extra benefits such as more population (so you can field bigger armies), extra damage for certain units and so forth. And unlike the rather irritating points scheme from the first two, you get one point per level for a skill or a boost, and some of those apply to your units if you don't take said hero.

THQ/Relic have gone mad with the DLC, though, and largely I would stress you don't bother with it unless you get the complete pack on sale, as very little of it truly adds anything to the game. The Tau Commander hero for Last Stand seemed funky from what I'd seen, but unless you've exhausted the other heroes or need something special, he's really not worth the non-sale asking price.

I prefer it to the first two, I must admit.

8. kahnovitch

kahnovitch Kiss my axe!

I've started playing AC Revelations but to be honest the game bores me quite quickly and I can only manage an hour a day at best.
    Maybe I shouldn't have started it directly after finishing Brotherhood.
    I liked the improvements they made to the combat in Brotherhood i.e. you could wipe out entire platoons of guards in seconds using the hidden blade as an open combat weapon.
    The latest installment feels like a filler though, as if the game designers are merely treading water until they write a decent conclusion to the series. (a little like Brotherhood)
    As for the "Revelations" I doubt there is anything players of the series hadn't already figured out for themselves.
    What cracks me up is how the game world is described as "sandbox". It quite clearly isn't, especially with the secondary "attain full synch" parameters attached to EVERY mission you do.
    So I'm just piling through the main quest arc asap and pretty much ignoring the peripheral quests etc.

I should probably add that I was a big fan of this franchise and loved the first two games.

9. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

Yep, first time playing any Halo game! Getting into it nicely now and starting to get used to it, though I really, really hate the warthog - I just can't seem to grasp the mechanics behind it.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Oh, you will in time.

11. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Disappointing to hear, I too enjoyed the first two and have Brotherhood queued up behind Saints Row 3. Perhaps I'll hold off on Revelations until it's cheaper then.

12. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

I started up a new character in Skyrim yesterday. I accidentally did a quest that pushed me further along the main story line than I wanted to be, so I decided to go back to the drawing board.

13. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

That happened to me a lot in Fallout 3 and it bothered me every time.

14. NickeeCoco

Yeah. I was bummed. Two of us are playing the game and they still haven't figured out a way to separate the saves by character instead of lumping them all together. Really, Bethesda? That sort of thing should be mandatory by now. I was only keeping three save files so we didn't have a long list of saves to sift through. I'm not doing that anymore, let me tell you. I'll sift.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Are you on the PC with it, Nickee? Someone's created a tool to separate save games/profiles.

16. kahnovitch

kahnovitch Kiss my axe!

I played a little more Revelations yesterday and they've included a few mini-games.
    There is a sort of tactical rts one where you deploy assassins and defenses to repel Templar attacks on your dens. Which is kind of pointless as when you lose a den to an assault you can take it back single handed in about 30 seconds flat in regular game-play.
    The training of your team assassins has remained from "Brotherhood" and for me became more compelling than the main game, as you send them on missions to gain exp, armour and weapons. Nice little rpg element.
    As in Brotherhood once you have a team of back up sins you can flash-mob enemies in regular play with a keystroke/gesture, which is quite good fun and useful for those "remain undetected or replay the memory for the rest of eternity" missions.
    The lock-on feature seems a bit buggy when using missile weapons. Ezio has a habit of aiming at thin air or even innocent civvies sometimes instead of his target.
    There's still a few of those empty location missions, where the point is find the ridiculously difficult one and only exit route out of a dungeon/sewer/lifeless crap-hole to find some artifact. Never did like them much.

So a few additions to the game. Some good, some not so good.

17. NickeeCoco

No, console.

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Finished Fable III this evening, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially the PC version. If you have an Xbox, just stick with Fable II, it probably has more replay value. That said, still got a few side quests and a DLC pack (Traitor's Keep) to go, so I'll be keeping it installed for now, but I honestly don't think I'll really put many more hours into it. A lot of the 44 hours I have in it so far weren't memorable nor particularly enjoyable beyond the sometimes stellar writing.

Then I booted up The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for the first time since I upgraded my PC, and I can play it on very high settings without too many problems which is good. I picked up from where I left off earlier in the year and I've pushed through some quests and gotten to the next act. I think I still have two acts and the epilogue to go, however, but I don't mind. I enjoyed it this evening, and I'll probably put a bit of time into it before my Skyrim-a-thon next week... assuming it works.

19. Cymric

Cymric cynical master of time

I have been playing alot of call of duty Modern Warfare 3 and enjoy it (in between cursing and swearing)

I am gonna give skyrim another chance hear in a bit

missing Dragon Age alot and hope they get some new DLC out soon

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Skyrim.
    Finally.

It is good. It completely surpassed my expectations, even if it isn't perfect. It does have the award for the oddest thing I've had to fix in a game, though - I had to download a mod to fix the nose textures. How bizarre.