What are you playing?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by milamber_reborn, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I think they've still got a long way to go before that's true.

2. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Well, as brilliant as Mass Effect 3 is that ending, especially contrasted against their promises of what it would be like, does not speak in Bioware's favour.

3. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Would someone be so kind as to PM me the ending to ME3? I've not played any of them, and likely won't at any point, but I'm wondering what all the angst is over this ending. What gives?

4. Solaar

Solaar The Good

Oh man, usually SaintJon and I agree on most things gamer, but this time we are poles apart on ME3. I bought it, played it, and sold it to a friend within 24 hours. I gave it a good, solid go, but it bored me in a way that no game has before! I can't quite put my finger on it, but it felt like it had... had no soul?

So, I'm actually back playing LA Noire, which is still a superb game. That and SSX which is possibly the best game I've played since... well, SSX Tricky? :)

Solaar
    Uber tricky

5. saintjon

Wow man. Just wow. Did you play far enough to do the Tuchanka missions? I've never seen so much soul in a video game. I guess we can still agree about movies anyhow.

6. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

Agreed. I cried, I'll admit. I also cried at a certain scene in a hospital. Twice the game made me cry. Twice, and I'm not quite finished it yet (I've been sick and have not been playing video games).

Oh: As for the ending that people are crying foul about. Apparently, if you read the books by Karpyshyn, it all makes sense and isn't so deus ex machina. I read the first two prequel books (they weren't really well written, but they were fun in an Indiana Jones kind of style adventure romp), but I didn't read the third, "Retribution", which is about Cerberus and the Illusive Man and paves the way for things that go on in the last game.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  7. saintjon

My friends have finally cajoled me into playing ToR. I started a 7 day free trial last night, got to level 5, found the MMORPG trappings kind of annoying (10 minute run to cash in one minor quest, reward guy is 5 minutes from everyone else at the bottom end of town, really? Anyhow, I'm gonna stick with it for the time being. If any of you guys are on Jung Ma look up Captain Whiskeyjak, smuggler-for-hire. Smuggler seems to very blasty and fun, looking forward to switching to gunslinger.

8. NickeeCoco

Well, you learn to run about and pick up all quests in the area before you go off and do something. That way, you can go out, do all the quests and then cash them all back in at the same time. It saves a lot of time.

That's what my main is, by the way, a Smuggler Gunslinger. A lot of fun to play. Some of the dialogue options are hilarious. Different server, though.

9. saintjon

I was already doing that. If you're not used to playing this type of game anymore believe me it's still a lot of tedious legging it around IMO. Even when I was playing Champions, I at least had the option of super-jumping my way across the vast landscape. I'm having a lot more fun with the game now though, the Esseles flashpoint was a lot of fun to do with my friends. I like how they set up the crafting too, very nice system IMO.

10. NickeeCoco

Then you just have to wait for level 14. You get sprint. That will make you very happy. The speeder at lvl 25 is pretty awesome too. (Just make sure you have 8000 credits for the bike and an additional 40 000 to train how to use it. I wasn't prepared for the 40k when I got there.)

As for legging it. . . I thought the elevator at the citadel in ME3 tedious. To have to take it to go from one place to another to do quests. . ./sigh. Personally, I'd much rather run there. At least in MMOs you get to kill things and get XP on the way. Except on Taris. Taris is the neverending world.l There's some really cool quests later on there, but the rakghouls are highly annoying.

11. Solaar

Solaar The Good

Each to their own :) It might be something to do with the area I live in as two friends tried it and disliked it as well!

Curse the bloody Isle of Wight and its inbreds :)

Solaar
    six toes

12. kahnovitch

kahnovitch Kiss my axe!

I recently acquired Mass Effect 3 but haven't played it yet.
    Turns out I deleted my endgame save from ME2 so have gone back to finish a playthrough from a previous save so I can import my character with all his decisions and relationships from the first 2 games.
    I've heard a lot of negativity regarding the latest offering, in particular the ending.
    When I'm up to speed with it I'll post my thoughts in the appropriate thread.

13. saintjon

I'm negative about the ending, the other 98% of the game is completely brilliant IMO, even the multiplayer. Solaar disagrees but that's cool.

14. Solaar

Solaar The Good

I feel like a social outcast :)

Solaar
    ostracised

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I don't even own Mass Effect 3. I played the demo, raised an eyebrow and left it at that.

16. saintjon

Hey man there's enough people seeing things your guys way that there is one of those Hitler rant videos about the demo. I just happened to really really like the game for the most part.

17. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

Well I finally got a PS3 and borrowed some games from my brother. Plugged in God of War 3 last night - intense stuff. I love Kratos and those crazy blades of Athena. Twas a bit of fun destroying Poseidon last night.

I really want to pick up Sky Rim though- it seems right up my alley.

18. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

DD, before you pick up Skyrim, look into the PS3 performance issues it has. Not sure if they're resolved or just forgotten, but they seemed to be a big deal for most players as they got many hours into the game...lots of slowdown and such.

I'm thinking about picking up a PS3 myself in a few weeks. Not sure yet, but there seems to be a nice back catalogue to it now, so it's tempting.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Only reason I'd get a PS3 is Heavy Rain. Oh, Red Dead Redemption, too.

20. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

Well the PS3 sure is pretty. I am blown away by the graphics. I have a Wii and before that a PS2. So this was a big jump in resolution etc. There are so many amazing games available for it. I should be able to occupy my time for quite some time. Plus its a Blu Ray which is nice to have in my lounge!