What comics are you all reading? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by fluffy bunny, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

The fanboy in me insisted that I read the the first volume of the Heroes companion piece. Originally released as a series of 5-6 page web comics, these stories (and sometimes mini-arcs) fill in gaps between episodes and back stories to some of the characters. I think this is one for the completists only unfortunately - the brief nature of the stories mean that most are reliant on the narrative arc of the TV show for structure or meaning, and reading them consecutively in the graphic novel format doesn't really work.
    Haing said that, there are a few little gems that pop up from time to time, and one particular arc of 5 or 6 stories (probably the length of a normal comic book) set in the Vietnam war provides one of the more cohesive stories with a denouement that made me feel I'd had some value in my purchase - one of those "cool!" moments.

2. Eventine

I recently finished volume 10 of Y: The Last Man (Why's and Wherefores), which is the concluding episode in the series. This is really good stuff. As well as continuing with the humour of the previous books, this one got me to tear up at the end as well. It's the first grapic novel to do that, so kudos to Vaughan. The last few pages are brilliant, poignant writing. I've got to say I'm sort of sad it's over.
    I read Pride of Baghdad a few weeks back - is Ex Machina the next best thing to get a BKV fix? Or do I need to wait for Lost to come back on telly?

EDIT:
    I see that Cory Doctorow just gave the concluding volume of Fables a big plug. Is it worth looking at? Th first volume doesn't seem that easy for me to get, so don't ant to chase it without a strong rec.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  3. Amaunette

Amaunette Vicious Attack Bunny

I'm reading The Long Halloween, based on some graphic novels recommendations in the newspaper for those who liked Dark Knight. And reading the introduction, I realized I've never read Year One, which I will hope to obtain shortly. So far so good -- I don't like the way Catwoman is drawn, but I'm enjoying the Bat so far.

4. LegendSeeker

LegendSeeker Registered User

Stone of Tears - Terry Goodkind
    The End of Faith - Sam Harris

I have to have two books on the go. Fiction/non-Fiction.

Not sure how many of the Sword of Truth books I will read, but am enjoying the first two.

5. LegendSeeker

LegendSeeker Registered User

Doh! I meant to say I was just read Therefore Repent (graphic novel).

I did not like that.

6. JenBee

JenBee Jen Bee

I never had much interest in comics, no real reason I just didn't get around to it. Last year a friend pointed me to an on-line comic (though there are now some books too). It's basically a parody of fantasy role-playing games (which I know nothing about so miss some of the jokes) but it's good fun especially if you fancy a bit of lighter reading. Recently passed the 600th strip!

Click below to check out the very first one....

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html

7. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

I'm on a graphic novel kick these days. I just finished up The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Millar, and now I am reading the first collection of the Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman called Preludes and Nocturnes. I liked the Dark Knight quite a bit, and I only just started the Gaiman book, so I cant really judge it yet.

8. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Crossed by Garth Ennis which is frankly disturbing on a level surprising even for him.
    Criminal - nobody does noir like Brubaker and Phillips.
    Punisher MAX X-Mas special - wrong on so many levels yet quality Punisher MAX writing, here's hoping Jason Aaron will take over from Garth Ennis on the ongoing.
    Immortal Iron Fist - my surprise title of recent years, crazy kung-fu movies meets rich kid meets intriguing mythology. Me likey.

9. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Super Human Resources by an acquaintance. #1 came out this week, it is made of win with some of the funniest characters I've seen in a comic for ages. It'll be a four issue run from March to June and then hopefully a trade.

10. n3kr0

n3kr0 New Member

Hi there ppl, i was wondering where do you guys buy comics/graphic novels online? :)

thanks

11. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Amazon, the Book Depository or Forbidden Planet mostly.

12. NereidKnives

NereidKnives New Member

DMZ, The Walking Dead, and I just discovered an older one that I want to check out called Fade From Grace.

13. n3kr0

n3kr0 New Member

Thanks you so very much :)

14. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

No worries. It will depend where in the world you are and whether you want to buy trades or singles (weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc), there are several good sites but obviously depending where you are shipping could be stupidly expensive.

15. swope01

swope01 author of Need for Magic

are Marvel comics respectable anymore?

So I'm a lifelong Marvel guy. I still subscribe and have been rumored to have a temple to Spiderman in my man cave. With the recent movies, fast food tie in's and the ridiculous overmarketing of everything does anyone still take the spiderman and X men titles seriously. I still like and subscribe to Spidey and xmen but whenever I mention them to other comic book people its like I'm mentioning fast food at a gourmet convention.

16. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

I think the dreadful One More Day ending and subsequent retcon of just about everything that preceded it put a lot of people off the 'new' spidey. Throw in the poor third movie (with metric poop-load of merchandise) and I think that right there was the spidey saturation point. X-Men and it's related teams have been at the same point for some time (see Garth Ennis The Boys for a great parody of the situation), with so many titles poor story decisions are inevitable and no guarantee on quality means buying an X-Men or related book is a gamble. Plus you know Wolverine in -- everything -- means anyone not in love with the character is kinda fed up of his guest appearances and multiple titles when other interesting titles are dying on the vine.

I think both Spidey and X-Men will always have their die-hard fans but the realisation is slowly dawning, especially with the advent of big comic book movies and the money involved, that these characters are huge cash cows and the comic storylines will always take a backseat to that.

17. Wulfa_Jones

Wulfa_Jones Gentleman and Scholar

I too am a Marvel man. However, I've never read Spiderman comics with any consistency. I am, however, a big X-Men fan.

I think people who don’t read them, don’t realise the quality of writing that is going on at the moment. Titles such as X-Factor written by Peter David are very strong at the moment. Matt Fraction’s work on Uncanny is also pretty strong since the move to San Francisco and Mark Miller’s Old Man Logan is a great story taking place in Wolverine at the moment. The Dark Reign era that is happening now is creating some interesting possibilities as well.

I’ve dropped some X-Men titles – particularly X-Men Legacy and Young X-Men (which has now been cancelled anyway). A couple of years ago X-Men went though a bad patch – the Rouge led team that contain Mystique and Sabertooth pushed my limits and I for one, didn’t care the Grant Morrison run on series either.

I dip in and out of DC comics, and I find them to be of a much lower quality. The Batman RIP thing was a massive publicity stunt and Final Crisis was confusing and bloated. I wouldn’t say that DC produced any higher quality mainstream comics that Marvel. Of course DC do own Wildstorm and Vertigo who do put out some more “high brow” comics.

What do these other comic book people read?

18. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I've been following Green Lantern for most of my comic reading life and the stuff Geoff Johns has been doing since he relaunched the franchise (including Green Lantern Corps) has been great fun.

The only Marvel series I've been following is Thor and I really like what Straczynski is doing with the title. One of the benefits of the title is that it is fairly free of all that nonsensical Dark Reign/Secret Invasion/War of Kings/Annihilation/ continuity nonsense.

19. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Yet strangely Thor, along with Black Panther, was probably the strongest Secret Invasion mini. Shows what you can do with good writing and continuity I guess. I'm enjoying War of Kings mostly because I love the space side of Marvel since my first Silver Surfer comic way back when, but Thor is definitely up there with Immortal Iron Fist, DD and both Cap's for consistent quality, plus one of those villains, Loki, you just have to hate :)

20. Eventine

Would you say the recent Iron Fist trades are worth a look? I've seen some positive comments and am thinking of jumping in.